A few beginner questions..
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi,

So the weekend is giving me an opportunity to get my feet wet a bit with MorphOS.

Enjoying the experience so far. Installing was a doddle, but have hit a few snags since then.

These aren't so much snags, but beginner-type questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with. (Thanks for all the help so far!)

1) Is there an Alt-Tab type utility (either an option in Ambient or third party) to allow me to Alt-Tab between open windows?

2) Is there a setting to allow me to move a window off the screen? It feels quite constraining and a bit troublesome having to resize windows to allow me to see everything (1024x768 here on this cheap LCD TV monitor).

3) Related to question 2 - I'm find it quite hard on the eyes. The text is slightly fuzzy. I think the answer to this might be "buy a decent monitor", but are there other things I can try right now to crisp things up a bit?

4) I tried to open a 68k app which needs specifically "serial.device". I.e. it is hard-coded (at least for starting up) to look for serial.device. I know there are MorphOS equivalents, but is there a way I can present that program with a serial.device to get it to start?

Thank you all!
  • »19.09.15 - 17:30
    Kronos
    2) Preferences->System->IControl->Screens

Here you change wether you want to move windows outside either if CTRL is pressed or only when it is not pressed.
  • »19.09.15 - 17:37
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    4) There is serial.device but it probably only works on real Amiga hardware and/or Pegasos.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »19.09.15 - 17:52
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    2) Preferences->System->IControl->Screens

Here you change wether you want to move windows outside either if CTRL is pressed or only when it is not pressed.

Beautiful! That's much better!
  • »19.09.15 - 17:56
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    4) There is serial.device but it probably only works on real Amiga hardware and/or Pegasos.

OK. I'll try it in EUAE - and see if can change the device in there to a MorphOS serial device, then copy the archive back out.
  • »19.09.15 - 17:58
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:

1) Is there an Alt-Tab type utility (either an option in Ambient or third party) to allow me to Alt-Tab between open windows?

Depends what "Alt-Tabbing" means...

If you just want to activate next window with alt-tab combination, set it in MorphOS Preferences -> IControl -> Hotkeys -> Active Window: Activate Next (select Sample from right side button and hit your wanted key combination).

If you want some sort of graphical menu of the opened windows then you could define "All Windows: Depth Menu" from the same settings.

BTW. you can get the same menu when right clicking the rightmost gadget on any window too.

Quote:

3) Related to question 2 - I'm find it quite hard on the eyes. The text is slightly fuzzy. I think the answer to this might be "buy a decent monitor", but are there other things I can try right now to crisp things up a bit?

Change fonts to be more suitable to lower resolutions? Bitmap fonts will be better than scalable ones IMHO.

[ Edited by jPV 19.09.2015 - 19:22 ]
  • »19.09.15 - 18:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    4) Does your HW even have serial HW ?
  • »19.09.15 - 19:26
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:
    Quote:

itix wrote:

OK. I'll try it in EUAE - and see if can change the device in there to a MorphOS serial device, then copy the archive back out.

The problem probably is that you dont have serial port and opening serial.device fails... I guess some dummy device is needed...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »19.09.15 - 20:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    re: small screen and trying to accommodate numerous running programs / open windows - have you tried the iconify feature?

Also, re: blurry fonts, are you sure you're using the native resolution of your monitor?
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »19.09.15 - 22:05
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    Also, re: blurry fonts, are you sure you're using the native resolution of your monitor?

Have had a breakthrough with this one, thanks to your recommendation. I got hold of the datasheet for the monitor which gave a nice breakdown of all the available modes it supports natively (60hz, various sizes above what I was using at 1024 x 768). With a bit of investigation in Monitors, I now have a MUCH more pleasant and usable display! The MorphOS experience has just become a lot nicer!
  • »20.09.15 - 09:37
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    re: small screen and trying to accommodate numerous running programs / open windows - have you tried the iconify feature?

And putting programs on different screens... for example browser on its own screen, as well as Showgirls and other bigger apps.

Ah yes - that was very helpful on my 1200. How can I force for example OWB to open on its own screen? Then can I Amiga-M (if memory serves) between them?
  • »20.09.15 - 09:39
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:

And putting programs on different screens... for example browser on its own screen, as well as Showgirls and other bigger apps.

Ah yes - that was very helpful on my 1200. How can I force for example OWB to open on its own screen? Then can I Amiga-M (if memory serves) between them?

There are two ways:

1) An easy way is to select "Jump to Screen -> New" from the MUI popup menu gadget in program's window border. It always opens in enhanced mode and clones the resolution from Ambient. Open and save program's MUI settings to save it to permanent use.
    MorphOS3_jPV_Newscreen.png

2) More configurable method is to open program's MUI settings, select Screen tab, and create a totally new screen definition there. You can edit screen name and title to suit your use (program name or so), select any resolution and depth, enable or disable enhanced mode etc. In many cases this is a better method, because you can save graphics memory by not using enhanced mode for the screens which you're going to use for full screen apps only or so.

And yes, then you can switch screens wth lamiga-m (lcommand-m), or by clicking the screen depth gadget (left click switches to the next screen, right click gives you a menu where you can select any open screen).
  • »20.09.15 - 10:56
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

1) An easy way is to select "Jump to Screen -> New" from the MUI popup menu gadget in program's window border. It always opens in enhanced mode and clones the resolution from Ambient. Open and save program's MUI settings to save it to permanent use.
    MorphOS3_jPV_Newscreen.png

2) More configurable method is to open program's MUI settings, select Screen tab, and create a totally new screen definition there. You can edit screen name and title to suit your use (program name or so), select any resolution and depth, enable or disable enhanced mode etc. In many cases this is a better method, because you can save graphics memory by not using enhanced mode for the screens which you're going to use for full screen apps only or so.

And yes, then you can switch screens wth lamiga-m (lcommand-m), or by clicking the screen depth gadget (left click switches to the next screen, right click gives you a menu where you can select any open screen).

Fantastic help. Thank you again.
  • »20.09.15 - 19:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I got hold of the datasheet for the monitor which gave a nice breakdown of all the available
    > modes it supports natively (60hz, various sizes above what I was using at 1024 x 768).

Isn't there just one native resolution with modern non-CRT monitors?
  • »20.09.15 - 21:55