Copyright Infringement in the AmigaOS Software Development K
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    On August 30, 2015 Hyperion Entertainment CVBA released a new version of the AmigaOS Software Development Kit (SDK). One of the newly included components is called btree.library. I created the original btree.library to be part of MorphOS in early 2000s. Development material for this library was released as a part of the MorphOS Software Development Kit.

At least two files included in the AmigaOS Software Development Kit contain my intellectual property without my consent. The files contain only trivial changes such as removal of the copyright notice.

https://sintonen.fi/amigaos-sdk-copyright-infringement/

Small update: I've of course reported this issue to Hyperion Entertainment CVBA already.

[ Edited by Piru 05.09.2015 - 16:11 ]
  • »05.09.15 - 15:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Not cool. Just not cool.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »05.09.15 - 15:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Wow Piru, you're an OS4 developer, and you didn't even know it! ;)
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »05.09.15 - 16:04
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Or to put succinctly in terms of OS4 development yearly milestones:

1999: MorphOS looks cool, hope it is AmigaOS4
    2000: AMITHLON AND MOPHROS IS PIRATE
    2001: AMITHLON AND MOPHROS IS PIRATE
    2002: MOPHROS IS PIRATE
    2003: MOPHROS IS PIRATE
    2004: MOPHROS IS PIRATE
    2005: MOPHROS AND AROS IS PIRATE
    2006: ...but stealing IP from Amiga Inc is ok since they're bad.
    2007: MOPHROS AND AROS IS PIRATE
    2008: MOPHROS AND AROS IS PIRATE
    2009: MOPHROS AND AROS IS PIRATE
    2010: MOPHROS AND AROS IS PIRATE
    2011: ...wait, we have no developers left. Time to co-operate and bury the hatchet?
    2012: AROS guys, nobody woudl have used your code anyway so it's ok for us to take it.
    2013: What do you mean MUI4 belongs to you? It belongs to AMIGA!
    2014: "EVERYONE IS PIRATE EXCEPT US" - Ben Hermans
    2015: MorphOS guys are being selfish for not letting us use their code, even though they stole it in the first place. So it's ok for us to steal it back!
  • »05.09.15 - 19:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    At least it is now crystal clear that MorphOS is the system which sets nowadays Amiga standards and APIs. Amiga OS4 just "follows" it.
  • »05.09.15 - 19:46
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Aha: "Copyright (c) 2013 Thore Böckelmann"
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »05.09.15 - 22:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    AmigaOS4.x being owned and (mis)managed by Ben Hermans and Hyperion Entertainment is a huge problem for users, developers, and even hardware manufacturers, who want to use and support AmigaOS4.x.

I wonder why no one has successfully sued Mr. Hermans and/or Hyperion Entertainment for their misdeeds, or libelous statements?

Usually, I just try not to think about Ben Hermans, or Hyperion, but being an owner of an A-Eon AmigaOne X1000 computer, and a person who did not buy it to run any of the PPC versions of Linux, I am forced to pay some attention to what Hyperion does, and the (lack of) progress that they make on moving AmigaOS4.x forward.

As much as most of us disliked Amiga Inc. and where Bill McEwen was trying to take AmigaOS (before finally realizing that he still needed the Amiga user community, and deciding to contract a port of AmigaOS to PPC), I don't see how the change of ownership to Hyperion Entertainment has improved the situation for users (or programmers) wanting to run AmigaOS4.x.

Of course all of us here at MorphZone.org realize that MorphOS should have been the next official AmigaOS, and Amiga Inc. should have negotiated with the MorphOS Dev. Team to make that happen, but that ship has long since sailed and there is no going backward.

My nostalgic attachment to the original Amiga continues to cause me to hope that some improvements will be made in the way that AmigaOS4.x progresses, and that Hyperion Entertainment will some day deliver on all the promises they have made, but most of the time I just wish that someone could do to Hyperion Entertainment what they did to Amiga Inc., and AmigaOS4.x would some how end up in the hands of any other company, so it could be managed by more competent people, who also hopefully have the needed resources to move AmigaOS4.x forward.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.09.15 - 22:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I am forced to pay some attention to what Hyperion does, and the (lack of) progress that they make on moving AmigaOS4.x forward.

I don't see how the change of ownership to Hyperion Entertainment has improved the situation for users (or programmers) wanting to run AmigaOS4.x.

It's a choice, nobody has to use OS4 at all.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.09.15 - 00:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    You're right, it's a choice.

I have OS4 Classic, OS4.1 Classic, and OS4 FE, and I choose not to use them, which is a great choice to let them gather dust,

AND ... my best choice is to use MorphOS ........... no regrets 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »06.09.15 - 02:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I am forced to pay some attention to what Hyperion does, and the (lack of) progress that they make on moving AmigaOS4.x forward.

I don't see how the change of ownership to Hyperion Entertainment has improved the situation for users (or programmers) wanting to run AmigaOS4.x.

Quite right, it is my choice that I still have an attachment to the Amiga name, and wish that the owner of that name would do something good with it.

My attachment is not so strong (like some people), that I am blinded to what is real and what differences there are between MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x, which is why I am here, and why I prefer to use MorphOS.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.09.15 - 04:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @amigadave

Amiga Inc. did approach MOS Team to make MOS the official AmigaOS, but the Team turned it down because the contract was so confusing and unbenificial for the Team. If I remember correctly the contract was even written by the Ben Hermans.

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.09.15 - 06:55
    Profile Visit Website
    KennyR
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Quite right, it is my choice that I still have an attachment to the Amiga name, and wish that the owner of that name would do something good with it.

That "someone" is not Hyperion though. They only have the AmigaOS name. So, why would you have any attachment to Hyperion and its batshit insane lawyer?

[ Edited by KennyR 06.09.2015 - 08:50 ]
  • »06.09.15 - 09:49
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    On August 30, 2015 Hyperion Entertainment CVBA released a new version of the AmigaOS Software Development Kit (SDK). One of the newly included components is called btree.library. I created the original btree.library to be part of MorphOS in early 2000s. Development material for this library was released as a part of the MorphOS Software Development Kit.

At least two files included in the AmigaOS Software Development Kit contain my intellectual property without my consent. The files contain only trivial changes such as removal of the copyright notice.

Small update: I've of course reported this issue to Hyperion Entertainment CVBA already.

At best, it Illustrates a "no questions asked" approach to quality control and scrutiny when accepting contributions.
    The possibilities get worse from there.

With a real company one might expect an internal audit, at least of that contributor's submissions. With the deliberate removal of copyright notices though... Not even sure how that could take place. In the real world that behaviour would likely result in a job loss.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »06.09.15 - 11:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Is it the same developer as the last time?

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.09.15 - 13:59
    Profile Visit Website
    KennyR
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Quote:

Piru wrote:

At best, it Illustrates a "no questions asked" approach to quality control and scrutiny when accepting contributions.
    The possibilities get worse from there.

With a real company one might expect an internal audit, at least of that contributor's submissions. With the deliberate removal of copyright notices though... Not even sure how that could take place. In the real world that behaviour would likely result in a job loss.

We're being nice even entertaining thoughts of it happening out of naivety. In any other platform, that might be true. On OS4, we've long known they're attitude to blatantly stealing ideas and even code from others, while at the same time bitterly decrying any perceived slight against them with all the delicate cordiality of a wounded tazmanian devil.

Then they downright ripped of MUI4, which is non-arguably proprietary MorphOS software, even going to the length of replacing all the credits with the names of their two-bit hacksmen. Then they ripped off Leif's filesystoolbox. And now they just start copying bits of MorphOS code at will. That's not quality control, that's just being two-faced, double-dealing dirty thieving cnuts.

TL;DR - Don't just blame Hyperion. The users are right up there as the most hypocritical arseholes on the planet. Not all of them, but they know who they are.
  • »06.09.15 - 14:07
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Is it the same developer as the last time?

yes. although 'last time' was the MUI4 SDK release, not the AOS4 one. i suspect hyperion was just as surprised as piru.

-- eliyahu
  • »06.09.15 - 14:16
    Kronos
    If they were suprised that did everything wrong.

If they weren't suprised they did some things very wron.
  • »06.09.15 - 14:24
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    @thread

fyi -- looks like hyperion have posted an updated SDK? i haven't had a chance to read through it. can someone check to see if the offending files have been rewritten?

-- eliyahu
  • »06.09.15 - 14:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Thread

IMHO, the threads about this subject on Amiga.org and Amigaworld.net are showcases of double-standard hypocrisy regarding Hyperion in particular and everything OS4 related in general. To try to wave off these issues with a smile and a joke and some "it's probably just some misunderstanding" is IMHO almost an offence as serious as the copyright infringement in the first place...

@ eliyahu

Regarding your post here and elsewhere, are you an official spokesman of Hyperion, or are you merely an enthusiast trying to smooth things out on their behalf out of your own initiative?
  • »06.09.15 - 15:17
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

Regarding your post here and elsewhere, are you an official spokesman of Hyperion, or are you merely an enthusiast trying to smooth things out on their behalf out of your own initiative?

neither. i'm just a user of both systems that dislikes the never-ending hatefest.

-- eliyahu
  • »06.09.15 - 15:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ eliyahu

So basically you think that the Effect is the problem and not the Cause?

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 06.09.2015 - 17:44 ]
  • »06.09.15 - 15:47
    KennyR
    Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
    Quote:

neither. i'm just a user of both systems that dislikes the never-ending hatefest.

-- eliyahu

At least you know now who to blame...

oh_ben.jpg
  • »06.09.15 - 16:05
    KennyR
    Updated:

Quote:

Update

On September 6, 2015 Hyperion Entertainment CVBA released a new version of the AmigaOS Software Development Kit (SDK). The release notes of this new SDK version are the following:

SDK 53.30 (5.9.2015)
    Updated btree.library API
    The actual changes are superficial rephrasing of the comments and documentation. Whilst slightly different now, the files are still clearly built upon my originals. No one has contacted me offering any kind of explanation or apology.

Regardless, the fact that the files have been changed in this way clearly is an admission of guilt.

It's like when the chav neighbour who keeps stealing your underpants off your line tries hanging them out in the front garden instead of the back one "so you won't see".
  • »06.09.15 - 18:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Piru schrieb:

[ Edited by Piru 05.09.2015 - 16:11 ]

If it's not Hyperion as company (Belgium) but Thore (Germany) as person you could consider an "Abmahnung" a speciality of German law -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abmahnung
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »06.09.15 - 21:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Zylesea

Hyperion is the publisher, right?
  • »06.09.15 - 21:41