Another new user and a network question
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hi all, I just got a peg1 and installed morphos 3.9 onto it to have a play having been a amiga owner back in the 1.2 ks a500 days, looks slick but I'm having a bit of a issue with the network setup having gone through some other "learning curve" problems around defining a >4Gb ffs partition which the peg1 openfirmware couldn't read, and some cheap sata->ide converters which kept corrupting the disk partitions.

I ran through the gui setting my ip and netmask and hostname, and Ive had a look in the ENV:/sys/netconfig and its wrote the values for my hostname and nameserver into there.

ENV:sys/interfaces contains (but with real ip details not x.x.x.x sanitation):-

eth0 Device=DEVS:Networks/via_rhinepci.device Unit=0 DoOnline IP=10.0.0.5 Mask=255.255.255.0 GATEWAY=10.0.0.1

The mossys:s/network-startup script calls netconfig autoconfig, and when that happens a debug window appears with :-
    date [err ]: S2_CONFIGINTERFACE: Invalid address

if I execute netconfig without the autoconfig flag I get the following error on the cmd line :-
    ENV:sys/net/Provider.conf: object not found
    The provider profile could not be opened:
    Cannot find interface : ENV:sys/Interfaces:2: object not found

Finally the ethernet socket on the peg1 board has the two leds lit when the rj45 is pushed home, and I've used the network cable leading to this on another machine previously and its known good. I have a working dhcp server on the network too and have tried it in dhcp/autoconfig mode in the gui also but no joy.

I did read that morphos does not come with a ip stack but the netstack binaries are there and installed, so possibly that is out of date so before I wreck it installing extra stuff I thought it was time to ask.

Could someone point me towards what I should be reading next to get the above resolved/debugged if I've missed it or suggest the next step if not?

I'm not sure if I have encountered a bug somewhere, theres a hardware problem with the peg1 board or I've just messed it up yet.

thanks
    MrFluffy
  • »11.08.15 - 15:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It could still be the cable or a speed negotiation issue - especially if you connect to a router directly. I vaguely remember that via_whine used to be picky about such issues...
  • »11.08.15 - 18:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    The cable goes to a nearby unmanaged 100bT switch, its never given me problems before, but I ran :-
    netstack eth0 debug (is eth0 the correct name for the onboard network interface?) and got a whole lot of debug out of it, including :-

iface_init: can't get interface linkinfo
    Closing Sana2 device DEVS:Networks/via_rhinepci.device (unit: 0).
    iface_init: failed

What confuses me is in MOSSYS:S/network-startup it just calls netstack with no device parameters which results in no debug output.
    Will keep tinkering...
  • »11.08.15 - 20:38
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    netstack autoconfig debug output here :-
    http://pastebin.com/XcB0YxSA

Now I can ping the loopback lo0 interface ip, but still not my local nic ip of 10.0.0.54.

Theres no mention of link problems now, but this still :-
    iface_configinterface: configure interface
    iface_configinterface: couldn't configure interface
  • »11.08.15 - 22:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I did read that morphos does not come with a ip stack

NetStack debuted in MorphOS 2.0 released 7 years ago.

http://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/2.0
  • »11.08.15 - 23:19
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I did read that morphos does not come with a ip stack

NetStack debuted in MorphOS 2.0 released 7 years ago.

http://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/2.0

Which means that you don't need (and shouldn't) to install anything additional. For me the Peg1 onboard ethernet has worked just fine out of the box all these years, with all the several routers and switches I've used. I've just configured it from the network prefs with GUI, and there you go.

But if there happens to be some compatibility issue with your setup and via_rhine, I guess the choices are to try with a separate PCI network card or change the switch to another to try it out...

BTW. do you remember where did you read that MorphOS doesn't come with a stack? Any place which would be updateable? :)
  • »12.08.15 - 06:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    jPV, if your running the same build on a peg1 sucessfully with no special configs needed and just the gui configurator, I'll concentrate on looking at it as a hardware issue.

I'll hook it up to a managed hub where I can define the duplex/speed of the port rather than relying on auto negotiate, and if that doesn't work, consider the onboard nic broken. The peg1 is new to me and purchased off ebay as a peg1 with morphos on it. It arrived with unregistered morphos 3.8 and that wouldn't network either which is why I put a new disk drive and 3.9 on it to start from clean rather than inheriting someone elses configs.

The no stack was on some random forum found in google while trying to work out the issue without pestering people...
  • »12.08.15 - 12:53
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

MrFluffy wrote:
    jPV, if your running the same build on a peg1 sucessfully with no special configs needed and just the gui configurator, I'll concentrate on looking at it as a hardware issue.

Yeah, it's been working from 2.0 to 3.9, and with just with the basic setup, not even looking to Advanced tab or anything. I'm not 100% sure when I've last used DHCP, mostly using static addresses.

BTW. do you know if your Peg1 has any April fix on it? I have April 2 fixed one... I don't have any idea if that could affect to network behaving, but wouldn't wonder...
  • »12.08.15 - 14:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Yes, it has the april 2 fix with the two mickey ear cpld's around the chip.
    I just tried it on a managed switch, and its negotiating 100bT full duplex, but still the same error in the log of iface_configureinterface:couldnt configure interface, so now to dig through the box of nic's I have looking for a pci one that supports morphos.
  • »12.08.15 - 15:55
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I wondered if its misconfigured in the firmware somehow as I can't find any documentation for the peg1 regarding how to disable/enable onboard ports and devices. I had a look at the .properties in /pci/ethernet at the firmware prompt but don't really know what to look for. It knew it was there and had a memory address of fe001100 allocated, showed the revision(0x51)/device/vendor bus id's and that it was using a VT8233.

I've ordered a RTL8139c nic as its in the supported list and just have to be patient now for the post person to bring it. It seems like the least painful route.
  • »12.08.15 - 16:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Did you by chance try to modify the mac address? If so, don't. That may be your issue given the log you have provided.
  • »13.08.15 - 13:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    no, I haven't tried modifying the MAC. Maybe someone else has at some point or its just broken or misconfigured in the bios but either way the pci card should sort it out.
  • »14.08.15 - 08:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

MrFluffy wrote:
    no, I haven't tried modifying the MAC. Maybe someone else has at some point or its just broken or misconfigured in the bios but either way the pci card should sort it out.

The error suggests the MAC of the card isn't valid and the card fails to initialize. That could be some nvram issue I guess. What you could try is to open the advanced settings of the card and try setting a MAC by hand.
  • »14.08.15 - 08:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I looked up 11:0:0 range in the online databases after the first post mentioning mac addr, and its not got any manufacturer associated with it on the ones I searched and instead I get this for the 11:00: range-
    Group address (multicast MAC address). Multicast addresses do not contain OUIs.
    And :-
    Ethernet frames with a value of 1 in the least-significant bit of the first octet[note 2] of the destination address are treated as multicast frames and are flooded to all points on the network.

I've set the config item to a valid entry two up to a value cribbed off some pc to hand and now its working fine.

Could be someone having set the mac via the nvram in the past, but great, its working now on the onboard! Thanks for the help.
  • »14.08.15 - 09:08