Wifi still freezes Powerbook
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    I just upgraded my MorphOS installation to 3.8 but I am still not able to use the internal Wifi.
    When enabling the checkbox by the bcm* device, the system freezes after a few seconds (just enabling it, doing nothing else).
    I must press and hold the powerbutton for more than 4sec to turn the system off. The system doesnt restart by just pressing the powerbutton for a short time.

Furthermore my Atheros PCMCIA wifi card is not working anymore. Its not longer showing in the network configuration. I tried to add it manually (devs/network/atheros5000.device) but it doesnt work. System tells me that the device couldnt be found.
    There are two LEDs on the card. Power is flashing periodically (thats normal if not connected).

My system:
    Powerbook 5.9
    G4 1.6Ghz
    2 GB DDR2
    New clock battery

Any suggestions for me?
  • »19.05.15 - 09:10
    Kronos
    Does the internal WLan work under OSX ?
  • »19.05.15 - 09:16
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    Yes, there are no problems under MacOS. I have an external FireWire HDD from which I can boot MacOS to have a testing reference.
  • »19.05.15 - 09:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    Update:
    I tested another atheros Wifi card:
    Cisco Aironet AIR-CB21AG
    and
    Netgear WG511T
    This card shows up in the network configuration. But this time the network preferences windows "freezes". The rest of the machine is still up, but I cant do any changes in the network preferences window. I cant even close it.

[ Editiert durch metatron 19.05.2015 - 08:56 ]
  • »19.05.15 - 09:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Seems a problem close to that I experienced.

Locate Mossys:Net directory and rename it.

Then check where is MorphOS 3.7 backup and copy its old NET directory in the place of Mossys:Net.

Make some tests and tell us if it works.
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »19.05.15 - 10:43
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Elric
    Hello!

I have the same problem:

(Since 3.7...)

The wifi on the Netgear pcmcia works well (exept a frist short connexion on startup, a break and a sometimes long time to connect back... After that, it's ok.).

When I want to use the internal one (MorphBook 5.3), the prefs panel freezes, and no possibilities..... Comming back to the pcmcia one, sometimes it's direct ok, or it needs some reboots to go...

One thing too: when the Atheros is running ok, in the prefs window the networks are displayed correctly for the bcm43 aswell...

Other point: Due to changes on the hard disk, I this time made a "clean install", so I made the try with "only" MorphOS, before backing up all my usual stuff, including Chrysalis parts... And this done no differance...

Amigan salutations.

[ Edited by Elric 19.05.2015 - 11:08 ]
  • »19.05.15 - 11:06
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    are you using WDS or repeater functions in your router? as soon as i deactivate it, everything works fine.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »19.05.15 - 11:48
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    Quote:

Cego schrieb:
    are you using WDS or repeater functions in your router? as soon as i deactivate it, everything works fine.

Its an ordinary access point, no routing, only AP. Its an Alix PC.Engine 2D13 with openWRT. Wireless Device is an ubiquity SR71.

The system freezes before I can connect to a network.
  • »19.05.15 - 12:13
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte schrieb:
    Seems a problem close to that I experienced.
    Locate Mossys:Net directory and rename it.
    Then check where is MorphOS 3.7 backup and copy its old NET directory in the place of Mossys:Net.
    Make some tests and tell us if it works.

Sorry that didnt help.
  • »19.05.15 - 12:20
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I have the same system, Powerbook5,9 and 2GB ram, and I don't have any problems using internal or Atheros wifi with 3.8. Internal works alone or with Atheros connected. And Atheros shows up and works too.

Have you tried to go network after you have booted from the MorphOS 3.8 CD (or from ISO image)? That way it could be verified if it's something wrong with your installed system or does it happen with completely clean too.

And when the network settings freeze, but rest of the system is usable, is there lot of stuff in the debug log (check from the Debug sbar module)?

[ Edited by jPV 19.05.2015 - 14:07 ]
  • »19.05.15 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    Quote:

Have you tried to go network after you have booted from the MorphOS 3.8 CD (or from ISO image)? That way it could be verified if it's something wrong with your installed system or does it happen with completely clean too.
    And when the network settings freeze, but rest of the system is usable, is there lot of stuff in the debug log (check from the Debug sbar module)?
    [ Edited by jPV 19.05.2015 - 14:07 ]

I booted from the 3.8 CD, but the same behaviour.
    I open System Preferences -> Network -> Enable checkbox [x] wl0 (bcm43xx_wl.device:0)
    The wireless network list fills up. I choose my accesspoint. Pressing "connect...", entering the secret pass key -> freeze. The system freezes completely. Mouse pointer is frozen, keyboard is frozen. The only way to revive the system is pressing the power button for >4sec.

Normaly the system freezes a few seconds after enabling the wl0 checkbox. When booting from CD I have the chance selecting a network.
    After rebooting my system I renamed these files:
    sys:prefs/env-archive/sys/wireless.prefs
    sys:prefs/env-archive/sys/WLANMNGR

Now I can enable wl0 (bmc43 device) without freezing my system. But I cannot connect to my network. When connecting to my network the system freezes...

[ Editiert durch metatron 19.05.2015 - 12:55 ]
  • »19.05.15 - 13:47
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    Additional information:
    My accesspoint has a single radio interface. It was configured WPA2-PSK Force CCMP (AES). I switched to a more compatible mode:
    WPA/WPA2 PSK Mixed Mode, Auto Mode TKIP or CCMP (AES) Mode.

But this doesnt change anything.

Currently I am not able to use any wireless card. Not the internal one, nor the PCMCIA cards.
    :(
  • »19.05.15 - 14:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Elric schrieb:
    Hello!

I have the same problem:

(Since 3.7...)

The wifi on the Netgear pcmcia works well (exept a frist short connexion on startup, a break and a sometimes long time to connect back... After that, it's ok.).

When I want to use the internal one (MorphBook 5.3), the prefs panel freezes, and no possibilities..... Comming back to the pcmcia one, sometimes it's direct ok, or it needs some reboots to go...

One thing too: when the Atheros is running ok, in the prefs window the networks are displayed correctly for the bcm43 aswell...

Same here. If the Atheros is correctly connected the prefs do work, if a connection failed the network prefs freeze. And there are more side effects: for exampe YAM crashes on quitting if the network connection failed.
    I'd say I need about three bootups to connect rightly. But I am behind a repeater (planing to buy a more powerful router soon to get rid of that repeater).
    Btw.: Is there a clean way to reset/restart the network except rebooting?

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 19.05.2015 - 22:53 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.05.15 - 22:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    At this moment on my MacMini with Broadcom B4306 chip I am working with mossys:net directory from 3.8 except B43 file that I got from 3.7 and I solved all issues I had updating to 3.8

(i.e. I experienced MorphOS boot log stating that a device was not found [Wlan], the same wlan Wifi appearing randomly at reboots, connecting with Ethernet cable not working anymore anytime I tried to save WIFI preferences when WLan0 device was present in the device list, and Preferences/Network that hanged up at random moments)
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »19.05.15 - 23:32
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Elric
    Hello!

This morning, I find that it seems connected via the bcm43 (checked on the prefs pannel) but no networks are displayed on the prefs window for the bcm43 nor the Atheros pcmcia, but they are in the sreenbar wireless module's popup... (???)

Furthermore, when I unplug the Atheros, I have a complain at startup and no wifi at all, even after some reboots to have the prefs (that freezes) in the good way...
    Tested too on usb booting on the .iso, and update from it...

Could that be an hardware bug on my MorphBook 5.3?

>>half self reply: with the macos instal cd, in the "system info"/Network/Airport card: it doesn't find it... But isn't that strange so, to see it in the MorphOS's prefs? On this MorphBook I can't yet search more by macos cause it's not at all on the machine... In a hopping short future I think to test via MintPPC on usb key...

Amigan salutations.

[ Edited by Elric 20.05.2015 - 13:39 ]
  • »20.05.15 - 13:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I won't be updating my MorphOS v3.7 to v3.8 on my Powerbook 5,8 until these issues/lock-up have been fixed.

In any case, I find that where Mac OSX 10.4.11, and/or 10.5.8 can find and use one of my wireless networks, that MorphOS cannot even find it until I am about 1/2 (half) the distance away from the wireless router, which frankly is pretty poor, and needs to be fixed so that MorphOS can utlise a wireless network from the same distance from its source as Mac OSX.

Just for information I usually use a Netgear RangeMax router, though I have other wireless hardware, such as an Edimax wireless router which the Powerbook running MorphOS v3.7 also struggles to find that hardware.

It doesn't seem to be the Wireless base station hardware that is the issue, it is the failure of the ability of MorphOS's to detect and utilise the signal from greater distances from the used wireless hardware - compared to Mac OSX, and that is the same also for my Mac Mini G4.

I hope these issues are fixed very soon as they are very annoying, and put me off using wireless hardware with MorphOS, from other than within a couple of metres of the wireless router that I am using at the time. :-(
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.05.15 - 13:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I think your problem is not caused by MOS 3.8, rather more to your installation on PB OR your WiFi surrounding....
    I've the same PB (5,8) running internal WiFi as well as CardBus-Atheros-Card, without any troubles!
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »20.05.15 - 15:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Are you replying to my post or someone from higher up the posting list?

If you are, I am sure the problem I am referring to is a MorphOS problem as Mac OSX works with wireless from a greater distance from the same hardware which cannot be my imagination if MorphOS cannot find the network from the same position/room with the same hardware and network - so it must be a real issue - unfortunately, for MorphOS users.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.05.15 - 18:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    And again I set up my system again. From scratch.
    Harddisk cleared. Booted from a 3.8 CD. Installed MorphOS with all defaults.

And again:
    I open System -> Network
    Enabling bcm43*
    Waiting for the networks to show up.
    Selecting my Network and entering my secret passphrase.
    The "bulb" right next to my wifi network becomes first red, then blue, finally green.
    And right after this "bulb" gets green the system freezes.

So what now? Hardware incompatible? Defective?
    BTW: I am writing this message from OSX 10.5 with the internal Wifi tunred on and connected to my my accesspoint.

Maybe there are some different revisions of the 5.9er Powerbooks. Maybe some different revisions of the bcm43* wifi modules.
    Yes I know there are lots of people out there where the internal wifi is working. But what I am doing wrong??

So what kind of information I can provide to get some light into this?
  • »20.05.15 - 20:06
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    Some additional info:
    OSX 10.5 tells me this about my Airport Card:
    Apple AirPort Extreme (0x14e4, 0x4318)
    Firmware: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.10)
  • »20.05.15 - 20:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    @newsense:
    We have both the same PB (-> 5,8)! I see no reason why it should'nt work on your PB.....
    The problems, which are discussed here, affects other versions of PB (5.9, 5.3).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »20.05.15 - 20:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I have 4 Powerbook 5,8 models, and they all exhibit the same behaviour with regard to wireless hardware - comparing Mac OSX to MorphOS and their sensitivity to locating and being able to utilise active wireless networks.

I also have 2 Mac Mini G4s and they too have the same problems - same distance from network router (within a couple of centimetres) and either cannot find the wireless network if I move to a slightly more remote point at which Mac OSX can use the wireless network, wheras MorphOS cannot either find the network &/or is unable to acquire a good enough signal to use it.

Mac OSX shows a FULL signal, when MorphOS shows either no signal at all or an extremely weak signal strength - from the same position, and is unable to acquire the network.

I cannot believe you are thinking that I am just imagining this issue, when I am complaining that the same hardware cannot find the wireless network from the same position that a Mac OSX machine is able to find and acquire a full signal.

I know the thread was begun for a slightly different, but associated topic, however, I feel justified in doing so as the issues about Wi-Fi seem to be inter-related - and my hesitance about uprading to MOS v3.8 when others are clearly having issues with Wi-Fi, and the already existing poor network acquisition is still an issue.

So my comments seem justified, and should be brought to the attention of those interested to know of such valid problems with Wi-Fi on MOS to get them addressed & fixed.

However this metal WW2 battle tank plate embedded in the back of my head may be affecting the signal when I turn my head all the way around to face backward as I sit here isolated in my Faraday cage. - :-D
  • »21.05.15 - 01:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

metatron wrote:

Maybe there are some different revisions of the 5.9er Powerbooks. Maybe some different revisions of the bcm43* wifi modules.
    Yes I know there are lots of people out there where the internal wifi is working. But what I am doing wrong??

So what kind of information I can provide to get some light into this?

Yes. What experience hed teach us is that Macintosh apparetly look all the same but Apple introduced dozens of silent revisions without telling the users, who had to buy blind faith what they believe being te same solid Apple piece of hardware.

Apple policy as usual.
  • »21.05.15 - 11:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Apple introduced dozens of silent revisions without telling the users, who had
    > to buy blind faith what they believe being te same solid Apple piece of hardware.
    > Apple policy as usual.

What you forgot to mention is that Apple catered for these "silent revisions" by supporting them with the drivers contained in their accompanying operating system so that the user couldn't care less.
  • »21.05.15 - 12:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    @newsense:
    OK, that's another thing - > you have a signal, but weak! Now, that behavior is reported since MOS supports Mac's internal WiFi - that is'nt new - even first test-devices had that problem....but CardBUS-cards are not affected - they work well. I'm writing this lines on a PB with a Netgear-Card....
    The reason for that weak signal with internal WiFi is'nt known till yet (afaik) - there seems to be something undocumented in programming Airport....
  • »21.05.15 - 14:54