MorphOS 3.8, First Impressions, pros, cons, bugs
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @stephen_robinson

Of course the G4 runs cooler than the G5. That was one of the major problems with the G5: it generates a lot of heat by design.

As for the quad core: one obsticle has been removed for a port as PCI-e is now supported (for the SAM 460). It doens't mean it _will_ be supported (I don't have access to such information and I don't want to start a rumour) but that it's more likely than before :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.05.15 - 20:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    G5s on MorphOS with only 1 cpu running runs hotter than mac OSX with both cores, becuase it has NAP running by default.

On the g4 MorphOS Runs cooler than MacOS X.

[ Edited by stephen_robinson 15.05.2015 - 21:26 ]
  • »15.05.15 - 21:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

itix wrote:

It is just that Odyssey sources need to be synced to MorphOS repository what is not trivial task.

Sounds a bit odd IMHO. And why not simply copy the latest binaries to the image, and do whatever "source syncing" you feel necessary behind the scene some "slow day at the office" at a later point or in whatever intervals (like every n version bump)? Always having the latest Odyssey build on the MorphOS image would be great, and I mean, since it's already compiled and ready anyway...?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.05.15 - 21:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Fab wrote:

My time got rather limited in the last months, since my son is born :)

Congratulations! :-)

:bloons:

Sleeping much at night? ;-)

Quote:

As Itix said, sync'ing Odyssey with MorphOS source repository takes quite some time, and if i have a choice to make, i prefer developing WebKit than sync'ing an old version.
    I'm working on a recent WebKit again, and i have several months of commits to catch up with.

But ideally, i'd like to have it up to date in next iso for sure. It's annoying to have different versions.

Good to know, and thanks for the clarifications!

:-)
  • »15.05.15 - 21:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Motosampy
    Got feedback from other G5 users having no problems, swithched back to my spare Radeon 8500 and everything works fine (except DVI output with the 8500 when booting from cd).

@Jim: Typo in my earlier post, had 9700 Pro, not 7000 Pro ....
  • »15.05.15 - 21:40
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Oops, ignore me! I'm tired and emotional

[ Edited by stephen_robinson 15.05.2015 - 21:46 ]
  • »15.05.15 - 21:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

itix wrote:

It is just that Odyssey sources need to be synced to MorphOS repository what is not trivial task.

Sounds a bit odd IMHO. And why not simply copy the latest binaries to the image, and do whatever "source syncing" you feel necessary behind the scene some "slow day at the office" at a later point or in whatever intervals (like every n version bump)? Always having the latest Odyssey build on the MorphOS image would be great, and I mean, since it's already compiled and ready anyway...?

Not "odd". Without "source syncing" no binary to test.
    Spreedy - The spreedsheet editor of MorphOS
    Calimero - Do you know about the new DTP Program for MorphOS ?
  • »15.05.15 - 21:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

vox wrote:

I don`t know how fair it will be in gfx areas, since to my understanding Radeon4000HD support is very basic, no 3D. Hope this will be resolved in 3.9

added framebuffer only (no hardware 2D/3D acceleration) support for some HD2xxx/HD3xxx/HD4xxx/HD5xxx/HD6xxx series Radeon graphics cards

No 3D, and no 2D acceleration as well at this point, so quite useless IMHO. (How is 3D on HD4000 in OS4 BTW?) You should be better off by browsing for a supported card. Or wait :roll:. I suppose the 3.9 release will be the usual bug-fix release with no (or very few) new stuff added. I think 3.10 (at the earliest) could bring better support for the above mentioned GPU families. Possibly together with AmigaOne X5000 support, who knows...?
  • »15.05.15 - 21:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > G5s on MorphOS with only 1 cpu running

MorphOS always has both running (i.e. the 2nd one idle running).
  • »15.05.15 - 22:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

itix wrote:

Not "odd". Without "source syncing" no binary to test.

Well, if you say so...

I suppose the users will have to continue to go to http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/ then (where there are plenty of binaries) to download the most current version themselves, the first thing they do after a fresh install of the latest MorphOS version. I just can't help thinking this is indeed a bit odd, since these already compiled binaries could simply have been manually copied to the image by the MorphOS team prior to the release...
  • »15.05.15 - 22:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    And if there is a bug or any other required change to apply (and there was, as you can see in the release notes), it's impossible since there is no source to compile...
  • »15.05.15 - 22:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Henes wrote:
    And if there is a bug or any other required change to apply (and there was, as you can see in the release notes), it's impossible since there is no source to compile...

I don't remember which versions, but at some point there were several MorphOS releases in a row that contained the same ancient Odyssey version (that got really old eventually), while several Odyssey releases were developed and released in parallel to MorphOS (and its releases) during this same time. AFAIK Fab develops it, he has the sources, he introduces new features and handles bugfixes. Obviously separately from MorphOS. MorphOS users will always use the latest version available in combination with your new MorphOS releases, even if they aren't source-synced. I can see the reasons to you want the sources synced, but if you haven't time to do it at some release, why not release the latest binaries anyway and worry about the syncing at some later point?
  • »15.05.15 - 22:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

itix wrote:

Sounds a bit odd IMHO. And why not simply copy the latest binaries to the image,

Someone must still copy the latest binary to the repository. We dont copy files manually to MorphOS ISO image.

Quote:

and do whatever "source syncing" you feel necessary behind the scene some "slow day at the office" at a later point or in whatever intervals (like every n version bump)?

No. When sources are synced to (main) MorphOS repository they must be in state it could be included to an ISO image.

Quote:

Always having the latest Odyssey build on the MorphOS image would be great, and I mean, since it's already compiled and ready anyway...?

We did that past for OWB but like I said someone must still update binaries to MorphOS repository. We dont always remember and when we remember we remember it day after release! :-)

[ Edited by itix 16.05.2015 - 01:06 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »15.05.15 - 23:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

itix wrote:

Quote:

Always having the latest Odyssey build on the MorphOS image would be great, and I mean, since it's already compiled and ready anyway...?

We did that past for OWB but like I said someone must still update binaries to MorphOS repository. We dont always remember and when we remember we remember it day after release! :-)

OK I understand that you must have strict and clear routines for how you work in order to handle and build a huge project like MorphOS. I just hoped for a small exception from the routines regarding Odyssey, where someone manually did some "lha x ..." on the latest Odyssey archive before shipping the MorphOS image out of the door.

I suppose I have to settle with the general between-the-lines explanation "we don't do that".

Well, downloading the latest Odyssey version after install (not this time though, obviously, since the patches has not yet been applied to that version) isn't that much of a problem anyway...

Edit: And it looks like Fab is working on a new version with recent WebKit. Who knows, maybe a 1.25 will be ready before MorphOS 3.9? And maybe it will even be included? ;-)
  • »15.05.15 - 23:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Ohooo! Congratulations Fab Dad! ^_^

[EDIT]

Son or daughter? :-)

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 16.05.2015 - 07:57 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »16.05.15 - 00:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte schrieb:
    Ohooo! Congratulations Fab Dad! ^_^

Son or daughter? :)

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 16.05.2015 - 01:19 ]

look what Fab wrote:
    Quote:

Fab wrote
    My time got rather limited in the last months, since my son is born :)

Congrats Fab. Great to hear.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 16.05.2015 - 01:58 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »16.05.15 - 00:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Epsilon
    Hi All,

I am trying to install Morphos 3.8 on my sam460cr, alongside amigos4.1 final edition.

The partition layout of my 1TB SATA disk (on PCI 3114 controller) is:

DH0: AmigaOS4.1 FE (10GB - SFS)
    DH1: OSBackup (10GB SFS)
    DH2: Work (800GB - SFS2)
    DH3: Morphos (30GB - SFS)
    DH4: Data (70GB - SFS)

I can boot from the MorphOS 3.8 cd, selected the MorphOS 3.8 partition DH3, made sure it is set as bootable, and installed the files.

However I can't see any way to boot from it, unless I adjust the boot priorities of the partitions. I wanted to know if there is any way to do this so I can boot either one?

I can see the partition from AmigaOS4.1 (which still boots). When I try to change the boot priorities to prefer Morphos partition the media toolbox says there is an error in the rdb that needs correcting. This didn't exist before the morphos 3.8 install so I guess it installed something in the rd. that os4.1 doesn't like...I reinstalled the slab_v2 into the rdb to restore things so amigos4.1 disk tool stops complaining. I adjusted the boot priority so morphos is prioritised, but doesn't boot.

I can't find any instructions on how to do this dual boot configuration on the sam (unless I missed something), so I am asking for help.

Please forgive me - I have little knowledge of SLB or the boot loader on the sam as this system is new for me, so please don't assume I know how to configure it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Catcha,
    Epsilon

[ Edited by Epsilon 16.05.2015 - 13:47 ]
  • »16.05.15 - 03:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Epsilon
    As an update - I also took a new hd and installed MorphOS 3.8 on the sam460 without amigos4.1 hard disk installed. This worked ok, however after booting into MorphOS the screen update on window dragging is seriously slow - and I mean slow.

I have a Radeon HD RV730 PCI-e card installed.

Also, there is no sound support for the envy24 ht pci-e sound card installed on the sam460cr (Acube sells this with the system along with the SATA 3114 PCI card).

You can't use the onboard sound/video like on the full sam460ex as the CR version doesn't have a sound or video connector on the board at all.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the problems are and solutions? I want to be able to use MorphOS on my Sam 460, but I can't register it until these problems are fixed as I can't use it properly.

My registered powerbook g4 is running MorphOS 3.8 without issues so far.

Thanks again for any help with my Sam 460 cr.

Catcha,
    Epsilon
  • »16.05.15 - 05:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

stephen_robinson wrote:

Minor points:
    I prefer the old start screen on the install program. yeah, I know..

It's more consistent with the rest of the looks from system to those physical special edition covers etc now, but I really did like the amount of the detail in the old one too :)

I wonder if everyone noticed the daylight changing in the old construction site image? If you installed MorphOS at night time, the image was also dark without the sunlight etc, it was really funny detail :)
  • »16.05.15 - 06:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    I think you need to create dual-boot menu in UBoot just as its made with Open Firmware dua boot on Pegasos machines. But I don't know the procedure for UBoot.
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »16.05.15 - 06:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

AHAHAH Yes. But check the hour zone. It was 1:19 AM
    I was so tired I barely understand that party ballons were not for Amiga30 Anniversary. ;-)

[EDIT]

And oh! I must adjust smile emoticon in the congratlation message, that I typoed.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 16.05.2015 - 07:55 ]
  • »16.05.15 - 06:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Double Post

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 16.05.2015 - 07:52 ]
  • »16.05.15 - 06:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Epsilon wrote:
    As an update - I also took a new hd and installed MorphOS 3.8 on the sam460 without amigos4.1 hard disk installed. This worked ok, however after booting into MorphOS the screen update on window dragging is seriously slow - and I mean slow.

I have a Radeon HD RV730 PCI-e card installed.

Just screen dragging?

Could you try to get debug log?

Run GetRamDebugLog in the console to get log (I dont have SAM so I dont know if this works).

Quote:

Also, there is no sound support for the envy24 ht pci-e sound card installed on the sam460cr (Acube sells this with the system along with the SATA 3114 PCI card).

There is driver by Davy Wentszler
    http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers_mos/

I dont know if it works and please note that Davy did not add support for mixer API. That is, you can not control volume from Mixer.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »16.05.15 - 07:55
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Alexco
    Hmm. So far I have an issue with 3.8 and my G4 (Digital Audio PowerMac 3,4). Mouse pointer and windows behave strange. Everything is stuttering and sluggish, even when booted from CD.
    I updated from 3.6 which had not such issues.
  • »16.05.15 - 08:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wonder if everyone noticed the daylight changing in the old construction site image?

#17 in http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/easter/ :-)
  • »16.05.15 - 08:19