MorphOS on AmigaOne X5000?
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Can we get back on topic?

Has any news at all on the status of MorphOS been posted on the machine? For now I have my G5 and X5000 on a KVM but would love to just have the one system up.

Why don't you talk to one of the developers? Maybe they could use another beta tester.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »19.09.17 - 18:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Has any news at all on the status of MorphOS been posted on the machine? For now I have my G5 and X5000 on a KVM but would love to just have the one system up.

Why don't you talk to one of the developers? Maybe they could use another beta tester.

I'd love to get in on that, but I don't think the 250X card in my machine will be supported. That and I've never got a reply back from any when in IRC or here in the past. I never thought to ask as a result.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.09.17 - 21:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:Why don't you talk to one of the developers? Maybe they could use another beta tester.

I'd love to get in on that, but I don't think the 250X card in my machine will be supported. That and I've never got a reply back from any when in IRC or here in the past. I never thought to ask as a result.

i'd love to get the opportunity to test MOS for X5000. i've been dying to start running it on my X5K since my pegasos2 is really on its last legs. i'd even be happy to help demo it at amiwest if amigadave can help make sure i point all the cool bits. there are quite a few potential converts at amiwest from both the 68K enthusiasts and (increasingly) disenchanted AOS4 users. and i expect MOS to smoke AOS4 on the X5K in terms of performance. ;-)

-- eliyahu
  • »19.09.17 - 22:22
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Well, I did offer to loan you a Radeon HD 6750, but I don't know what state the drivers for the 6000 series are in.
    The R600 and R700 drivers should be close enough to release for a functioning beta, but that would mean a switch to something like a 4650 (or 70), or a 4850/70/90 card.

I've shipped the R700 cards I had on hand to Mark, but I'd be willing to source something for a demo.

And a 4870 or 4890 would probably still do well under OS4.1.

Further, we might be lucky, and find that Mark has a serviceable 5000 or higher driver.
  • »19.09.17 - 22:24
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

And a 4870 or 4890 would probably still do well under OS4.1.

works but no 3d. all 4xxx 5xxx 6xxx (NI) series dont have 3d on os . Only some cards of SI series is 3d accelerated with warp3d si and warp3d nova.
  • »19.09.17 - 22:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I'd be willing to put in a new drive with it and another video card if it booted right into MorphOS. Switching back the original drive and video card would be simple enough to get OF4.1FE back going when it was done.

Hopefully I can get to Amiwest and find a room to crash in. Heck all I need is a couch.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.09.17 - 22:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    I'd be willing to put in a new drive with it and another video card if it booted right into MorphOS. Switching back the original drive and video card would be simple enough to get OF4.1FE back going when it was done.

Hopefully I can get to Amiwest and find a room to crash in. Heck all I need is a couch.

You ought to talk to David "AmigaDave" Morris. He probably has a table arranged and may need someone to split a room with.
    And it sounds like the hotel is overbooked, so it couldn't hurt to try to work something out.
    Besides, I'd be willing to bet that David would love to have a demo X5000 set up.
    Heck, makes me wish I could attend.
  • »20.09.17 - 00:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

You ought to talk to David "AmigaDave" Morris. He probably has a table arranged and may need someone to split a room with.
    And it sounds like the hotel is overbooked, so it couldn't hurt to try to work something out.
    Besides, I'd be willing to bet that David would love to have a demo X5000 set up.
    Heck, makes me wish I could attend.

See my reply to Acill in the other thread regarding his sharing a room and attending AmiWest. I'm certain we can work something out.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »20.09.17 - 03:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Correction:

>> the x16 slot only has [...] connected [...] 4 lanes. But the data sheet [...] speaks
    >> about many controllers but *not available simultaneously* (depends on HW
    >> configuration perhaps?), so with the known other features of the Tabor, does
    >> x4 lanes for graphics sound reasonable?

> Yes, it sounds reasonable to me that one of the three PCIe controllers uses
    > four of the six SerDes lanes.

I don't know what I was thinking two years ago when I answered that question, but of course it doesn't sound reasonable at all to use 4 out of 6 available SerDes lanes for PCIe, and also use 2x SATA and GbE from the P1022 which requires 3 more SerDes lanes, adding up to 7 required SerDes lanes in total.

More details:
    http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12151&forum=11&start=39

Edit: mystery solved

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 15.06.2018 - 13:16 ]
  • »27.09.17 - 11:54
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Correction:

>> the x16 slot only has [...] connected [...] 4 lanes. But the data sheet [...] speaks
    >> about many controllers but *not available simultaneously* (depends on HW
    >> configuration perhaps?), so with the known other features of the Tabor, does
    >> x4 lanes for graphics sound reasonable?

> Yes, it sounds reasonable to me that one of the three PCIe controllers uses
    > four of the six SerDes lanes.

I don't know what I was thinking two years ago when I answered that question, but of course it doesn't sound reasonable at all to use 4 out of 6 available SerDes lanes for PCIe, and also use 2x SATA and GbE from the P1022 which requires 3 more SerDes lanes, adding up to 7 required SerDes lanes in total.

More details:
    http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12151&forum=11&start=39

Hey, don't beat yourself up over that, I pretty much ignored Tabor until the discussions about the X5000's limitations started.
    Then I thought 'wait a minute, how many lanes can the P1022 provide?'.
    It doesn't add up, does it?
    They could be using something that multiplexes or switches PCI-E lanes, but not having a complete set of specs on Tabor, I don't know.
    Didn't we have a screenshot of that board at one time?
  • »27.09.17 - 16:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > They could be using something that multiplexes or switches PCI-E lanes

Of course, they could be using a PCIe bridge to multiplex 2 input lanes to 4 output lanes, but I don't think anything could be won by multiplexing or switching lanes that all go to the very same slot anyway. They could as well multiplex 2 input lanes to 16 output lanes and claim a fully connected x16 slot ;-)

> Didn't we have a screenshot of that board at one time?

A screenshot of a board? :-) There's a shot in the A-Eon press release linked to in my comment you quoted the link to above, but it doesn't help me to identify the solution to this mystery. A block diagram would come in handy.
  • »28.09.17 - 00:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Same goes for MorphOS port, I have no doubts it will support more out of box
    > (proper SATA and Ethernet driver [...])

Does MorphOS 3.10 support the GbE controller of the P5020? I couldn't find anything in the release notes.
  • »26.03.18 - 16:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    So Aaron Smith over at Amiga on the Lake is trying very hard to get in touch with somone frm the MorphOS team that will give him a proven hardware configuration for the X5000 that will be compatible. He wants to sell pre configured machines with MorphOS on them and include a full licensed working system. They have yet to reply back to him. It seems like a huge miss here for them to generate some sales. if anyone can help out and get them in touch it would be great to see!!!
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »26.03.18 - 19:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Well, you know how to get in touch with me, and he's free to email me. But in general a good combinatio of hardware would be a Radeon HD 6450 or Radeon R5 230 on the graphics side, and a Realtek 8168/8169/8111/whichever on the network side.

The two Radeons are basically the same card, just rebranded. Both passively cooled (yay) and both available brand new from stores for 40-50 euro.

Unfortunately for the Realtek card, there's a hundred different variants of this card, and I can't guarantee that they'll all work. However, if he does manage to get hold of a card that doesn't work, then we can debug it remotely.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »26.03.18 - 19:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Does MorphOS 3.10 support the GbE controller of the P5020?

> [...] a Realtek 8168/8169/8111/whichever on the network side

I take this as a no ;-)
  • »26.03.18 - 22:05
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    I really hope the Radeon 7750 is supported at some point. I'd hate to have to downgrade to a worse GPU (paying for even more hardware) to support an OS that was released to be compatible with the X5000. The fleet of current X5000 owners have the 7750. Very frustrating, though I do appreciate all the developers' efforts at building a compatible OS.
  • »26.03.18 - 22:11
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    amigakit
    I know how difficult it is to support the many wide range of Radeon chipsets. Hans de Ruiter spends many months writing driver code full time for A-EON. AMD's release schedule of new chipsets is continuous and this has forced us to move to Polaris for the next forthcoming driver release.

Credit where credit is due: Bigfoot has done remarkably well here to support the list of cards published in the 3.10 release notes whilst juggling the other development work associated with this large release. We are very grateful for the help and support both he and Frank have extended to us with the X5000 product.
    www.amigakit.com - Amiga store
  • »26.03.18 - 22:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> Does MorphOS 3.10 support the GbE controller of the P5020?

> [...] a Realtek 8168/8169/8111/whichever on the network side

I take this as a no ;-)

IMHO, supporting the integrated network controller would be a huge waste of time (if it couldn’t be done very quick and easy thanks to some open code/documentation or whatever). P5020 is a dead-end, in very limited numbers, and AeonKit puts 8139 cards in the systems anyway (though 100 megabit only). However, they did it on the Sam460, so...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »26.03.18 - 23:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

amigakit wrote:
    this has forced us to move to Polaris for the next forthcoming driver release.

Did you mean to say “extend to Polaris”/“include Polaris as well”?

Or does “move” mean “migrate” like in “leave/drop the old and move to something new”?
  • »26.03.18 - 23:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the chances of MorphOS running on X5000 are practically nil [...].
    > Just say a little bird told me.

Been talking to that bird lately? :-)
  • »27.03.18 - 01:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > IMHO, supporting the integrated network controller would be a huge waste of time
    > (if it couldn’t be done very quick and easy thanks to some open code/documentation
    > or whatever). P5020 is a dead-end

DPAA is used in T2080 (and T1022/T1042) as well :-)
  • »27.03.18 - 01:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > IMHO, supporting the integrated network controller would be a huge waste of time
    > (if it couldn’t be done very quick and easy thanks to some open code/documentation
    > or whatever). P5020 is a dead-end

DPAA is used in T2080 (and T1022/T1042) as well :-)

Yep. Dead-end... ;-)
  • »27.03.18 - 06:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> DPAA is used in T2080 (and T1022/T1042) as well :-)

> Yep. Dead-end... ;-)

...and in ARM-based QorIQ Layerscape SoCs :-)
  • »27.03.18 - 09:34