Amiga 30th Kickstarter donation campaign
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Only 2950 US$ to collect in the next 7 days to hit the goal and let the Event start!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/890300835/amiga-30th-anniversary-in-california
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »11.04.15 - 06:12
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    @Raf_MegaByte

they did it! and the guest list keep growing. there's going to be a ton of people there; looks to be a terrific event.

-- eliyahu
  • »16.04.15 - 22:10
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
    @Raf_MegaByte

they did it! and the guest list keep growing. there's going to be a ton of people there; looks to be a terrific event.

-- eliyahu

Surprised and disappointed that the list of people attending does not include more of the original Amiga engineers and developers who created the Lorraine and A1000 with Jay Miner. I thought that was the main purpose of the event, to bring together the original team of people who created the Amiga?
    WB_Coder = Wanna Be Coder
  • »17.04.15 - 02:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

WB_Coder wrote:

Surprised and disappointed that the list of people attending does not include more of the original Amiga engineers and developers who created the Lorraine and A1000 with Jay Miner. I thought that was the main purpose of the event, to bring together the original team of people who created the Amiga?

Did you see the Kickstarter page? While they asked for money to host the function, A-Eonkit is the official sponsor and the Kickstarter page itself makes the event look like a sales pitch for the X1000.

I haven't been able to figure out that works exactly. Decide to hold a function, get a corporate sponsor who will promote their mostly unrelated product heavily, and THEN e-beg for funds to hold the function.
  • »17.04.15 - 03:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Ding ding ding ding ding. I think I understand now. A-Eonkit is paying for rent on the room. The $20K is being used for paid appearances by historical Amiga figures.

Oh well. I just hope the donators know what they are getting.
  • »17.04.15 - 03:21
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Ding ding ding ding ding. I think I understand now. A-Eonkit is paying for rent on the room. The $20K is being used for paid appearances by historical Amiga figures.

Oh well. I just hope the donators know what they are getting.

You are getting cynical and bitter in your old age. I don't remember you being so negative years ago, and I don't see the event as a promotion for A-Eon, or Hyperion, or AmigaOS4.x users. It mentions MorphOS and AROS, as well as AmigaOS in its pages and seems to be fairly neutral and welcoming to all people interested in the original Amiga. I can't hardly blame A-Eon for using it as yet another opportunity to advertize their products and company, that is what companies do, if they have any kind of advertizing budget.

I don't understand why the stretch goals were priced so high though. Surely it does not cost $40,000 extra to rent some part of the computer museum hall for the 2 day show event? Also the streaming of the event should not cost the amount they added for that first stretch goal.

Why is there not more news about similar 30th Anniversary Amiga events in Europe?
  • »17.04.15 - 03:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

WB_Coder wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

I don't understand why the stretch goals were priced so high though. Surely it does not cost $40,000 extra to rent some part of the computer museum hall for the 2 day show event? Also the streaming of the event should not cost the amount they added for that first stretch goal.

As far as I remembe, when the Amigos in California started campaign they claimed they will had rented the Museum rooms for one day only.
    As soon as campaign reached $18.000 they announced that the event will last for two days instead of one only.
    So then sponsors covered one day only event. Kickstarter allowing instead 2 days event.

Also it seems to me that Museum is selling services from a list, and for example, you can't simply hire your own catering service for the banquet, but it is something Museum offers at fixed price, and so on with availability of opening time to public in the daylight period, presence of hostesses and stewards, use of Wi-Fi facility , streaming from the event, tele-conference service, permission to filming in the museum rooms, etcetera...

It is like in wedding ceremonies.

You pay a starting minimum price for the base services, and any service that you want to add to the ceremony will cost the spouses an extra fee.

Quote:

Why is there not more news about similar 30th Anniversary Amiga events in Europe?

As long as I know in Europe they have a full list of sponsors, so the event was covered directly by those donors (but alas they asked any donation help as a bonus to provide extra facilities at the event) , and also luckily for them, ordinary tickets are already sold. You can buy only high prices tickets for V.I.P. only.

Although I hope that Computer end Retrocomputing Exhibits in California and in Amsterdam will be open to public (we need di show common people Amiga is still alive), while those who paid the ticket, will attend a private gathering and obviously conferences and banquet.

If they were in difficult, they could had hired a crowdfunding campaign too, then, and they didn't...

But now my main questions are:

Who in MorphOS camp will attend event in USA and who will attend event in Amsterdam?

1) There will be any representatives of MorphOS Team invited or already contacted?

Sure A-EON is ready to present to public the announced MorphOS porting for their X5000 machine, and I think they will take the chance of these events in order to present it officially..Representatives of MorphOS Team sure will attend then.

2) WIll be Any Morpher presenting his machines at exhibits?

3) Is there somewhere a precise script lineup of events in order to show various features of MorphOS in an organic form, or a list of features demoing MorphOS in the detail ready to be shown at magazines or TV journalists who will visit the event?

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 17.04.2015 - 09:32 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »17.04.15 - 09:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why is there not more news about similar 30th Anniversary Amiga events in Europe?

http://blog.amiga30.co.uk/?cat=1 (last update yesterday)
    http://www.amiga30.eu (last update 4 days ago)
  • »17.04.15 - 10:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

>> Why is there not more news about similar 30th Anniversary Amiga events in Europe?

> http://blog.amiga30.co.uk/?cat=1 (last update yesterday)
    > http://www.amiga30.eu (last update 4 days ago)

http://www.amiga30.de
  • »09.05.15 - 20:50
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    California and Europe again.
    Red has good reason to be cynical.
    It would be easier for me to visit him then attend either of these events.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »10.05.15 - 00:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    California and Europe again.
    Red has good reason to be cynical.
    It would be easier for me to visit him then attend either of these events.

I thought you were thinking of going to a California event some time in the future, did your thinking change, or am I mistaken?

What about MorphOS representation at the 30th Anniversary of Amiga event in Mountain View, California this July. I saw something about AmigaDave asking for help, because he was going to setup a display table for MorphOS at the show, but now he has been writing forum messages on AmigaWorld.net about how useless all NG Amiga systems are and what a waste of time it has been for everyone working on them.

I don't think that is the kind of person we want representing MorphOS at this event, so I hope some other MorphOS users will attend this show and do a better job than AmigaDave, who does not appear to be interested in MorphOS (or any NG Amiga system) anymore.

Sorry, I am too lazy to provide links to his comments on AW.net tonight.
  • »05.06.15 - 04:14