Morphos on Power mac G5
  • Just looking around
    Hi everyone!

I have a Power mac G5 and I would like to run MorphOS on it... the model ID is 7.2 so that should be fine after what I have heard.
    It does have an Nvidia card though that the computer came with and MorphOS wont run on with that right?
    I was thinking of getting one of the supported ATI Radeon cards somehow and install that in my machine instead... will that work or wont MorphOS run on a machine that came shipped with an Nvidia card even if you swap it for an ATI Radeon card?
    thanks in advance!
    //Vrilya
  • »24.03.15 - 17:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Swapping will solve your problems. A Radeon 9600 with 128 MB VRAM are plentiful and cheap. Just make sure it's a genuine AGP Mac card. Flashed cards do work often enough, but they can be flaky and unreliable.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »24.03.15 - 17:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    I am not really sure exactly what a flashed card is... correct me if I am wrong but I suppose it is a card originally made for PC's that is flashed to be able to use with a Mac?
    Also... if I find a genuine AGP Mac card will it work right away or do I need to do something else to make it work? (I dont know but flashing something on the motherboard or whatever to recognize it?).
    I see you are from Sweden, as am I. Do you have any idea where I can find a card supports my machine?
    thanks in advance and for your reply!
    //Vrilya
  • »24.03.15 - 18:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    You are right on all points :-)

It's harder to find cards in Sweden. Your best bet is Ebay.

My MorphOS blog
  • »24.03.15 - 18:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    I found a Radeon 9600 pro 64mb vram on Tradera for 100 sek so I bought it right away... felt like it was a good price. I hope 64mb vram will be enough for the time being :)
  • »25.03.15 - 11:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    For 100 kronor it's a good buy. You did make sure it's a genuine AGP Mac card though right?

64 MB VRAM is the same as the best PPC Mac Mini. It will be enough for playing around :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »25.03.15 - 11:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Yes I did make sure it was a genuine card (Radeon 9600 Pro 64 MB ADC/DVI for G5 Machines)... I am not 100% certain but I doubt they made graphio cards with ADC ports for anything else but Mac :)
    Now the only problem is how I make a bootable USB stick for this as I dont have any blank CD/DVD's ^^
  • »25.03.15 - 12:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Use DVI then :-)

There is a guide at morphos.de of how to install MorphOS with a USB stick. But using a CD is by far the simplest.

My MorphOS blog
  • »25.03.15 - 12:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Well the card that I bought has both ADC and DVI (maybe I should've been more clear on that) and the monitor (Cinema HD Display) I use for the Mac only have one of those ADC cables that is stuck to the screen, so the only option if I want to use that monitor is to plug it in the ADC port unless I get some sort of converter I suppose. Not that it matters right now but I kind of like that monitor, it's quite large :)
  • »25.03.15 - 13:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Don't know if that's supported or not. Maybe someone else here know?

My MorphOS blog
  • »25.03.15 - 13:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Ouch... well if it's not I do have a another monitor I can use... I would just need a DVI cable if I can find one in my storage, it's quite alot of stuff down there :)
  • »25.03.15 - 13:42