Workbench for the Future?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

vox wrote:

a) WORKBENCH AS TRADEMARK NAME: Workbench was and is a GUI name, as in LoadWB command.

IMHO this looking at "Workbench" as merely some kind of GUI/Window Manager first happened when alternative GUI's first made the scene on Amiga's, and was emphasized even more when the three "3.1" forks/alternatives emerged on other HW platforms.

Originally however, Workbench was more than just a "GUI", it was all parts of the operating system that was not inside the Kickstart. Or am I wrong? And originally, this was actually the official name of the operating system for Amiga's, and one of the points with this thread is, that now it is *again*!

:-)

Quote:

b)LEGAL EMULATION THING

Hereby, I am also saying licensing legal KS/WB packs for emulation packages was something Cloanto/Hyperion/AmigaInc

Cloanto could, as they apparently are the sole owners of every aspect of the operating system for Amiga's, the Workbench. Hyperion doesn't own this, and neither does Amiga Inc.

Quote:

could make a revenue earlier for smaller fee (meaning not just Amiga Forever but AmiKit, FSUAE, WinUAE, EUAE as complete packages). They would do better and we would have easier packages and less piracy.

AmiKit, AmigaSYS and AROS 68k is already available (and pre-configured) from the Amiga Forever 6 package (along with the usual systems). At least in the "Plus Edition".

And Cloanto could bundle the emulator, the needed OS parts, and any licensed game together, and make it available as a one-file download from the web. If Cloanto did it, it wouldn't be piracy at all. :-)

Something like this: http://thecompany.pl

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.03.15 - 15:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    OK, I'm convinced. But then you have to change the date for AROS to 1995. That's when the first line of code was released after they could agree on a roadmap (being 3.1 API compatible). Before that, they mostly bickered.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »05.03.15 - 15:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    OK, I'm convinced. But then you have to change the date for AROS to 1995. That's when the first line of code was released after they could agree on a roadmap (being 3.1 API compatible). Before that, they mostly bickered.

To be honest I don't remember why I originally wrote 1995/1996 on the AROS entry (it's from that old picture). But I do remember that I had some difficulties finding reliable info about *what* was really released ("a first line of code" wouldn't really be enough) and when, so it was perhaps a "if it wasn't 1995 then at least it was 1996" thing.

(Edit: Off Topic, but what is that background picture you are using here?)
  • »24.03.15 - 17:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Time for another update!

Things are happening on the Amiga/Workbench scene!

Hyperion has decided to release a parallel contemporary version of Workbench 3.1! :-o

Click!

As an interesting note, that connects to the essence of this thread: Hyperion is going all-in on the use of "Workbench" name! :-o

Hyperion has always used "AmigaOS" when communicating, since this is a trade mark they have an exclusive license to use. And it contains the word "Amiga". Which is good, they have reasoned, a lot of values attached to that brand, and some people buy the stuff for this reason alone, no matter what it is.

It's always "AmigaOS".

But not in this case, suddenly it's rather the opposite. Except the mentioning of the term "AmigaOS" in a general manner at the end in the initial press release headline, they are not talking about "AmigaOS" one single time, not once! But all the three paragraphs on the front page, and all three subsequent pages linked to from this page, are totally flooded with "Workbench" references, and no, not references to workbench as some "window manager", but Workbench as the product name, the actual name of the Operating System, of the product they sell!

Even the product listing in their web shop doesn't use "AmigaOS", but "Workbench 3.1 for desktop Amigas - FREE Workbench 1.3.3 ... - 3.1 (40.43)".

:-o

Workbench® is a registered trade mark, owned by Cloanto, used to market their Workbench 3.1 products (they own the OS as well).
  • »14.10.16 - 14:15
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    One does wonder why they aren't using the AmigaOS trademark as they are licensed to use it, which Cloanto is not.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »14.10.16 - 21:24