Porting, really?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Van_M
    I think that, given the current small user base, there aren't many developers that are skilled enough to create a game from scratch, that is competitive to, say, Quake2. The ones that have killer programming skills are working on things that are more important than games (hardware drivers, the q-box). If in a year there are some, 10,000-15,000 peg users, this might change.
  • »26.11.03 - 14:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @Van_M

It does not have to be a big game or something. A small nice game will do. :-) I know the userbase is a bit small at the moment.

Coder
  • »26.11.03 - 15:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I kinda agree. But OTOH having a Doom/Quake/Duke port is better than
    not having them at all. And at least Doom is a classic :-)
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »26.11.03 - 16:04
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    We found a good solution : we are developping an original game with portability in mind using OpenGL and SDL (only four sound, input and other little things). So Megalospirit (and Shadow of the Beast which is using the same engine) will be ported to MOS, Windows, MacOSX and we will see for others.

More information, I hope soon...
    N'cha, LorD
    http://www.lordfpx.com/
  • »26.11.03 - 16:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Van_M
    I would like to see Secrets Of my Soul running to Morphos. It probably will since it is programmed for WarpUP and Permedia2/3dfx cards (through warp3d). Their graphics engine is veeery good (have you checked out the videos from AW.net?) given the low end PPC machines it was running on.
  • »26.11.03 - 17:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @itix

I do not like those 3D games of today. Or any game. Too much show but little gameplay. But that is my opionion.

I remember when I was somewhat interested in playing Doom. Many years ago on my PC. Getting together with some friends and network our computers. In those days a network card was still pretty pricey. I liked the game because of the network option. That was the only time I had fun on a pc. :-) Ohh and ofcourse with Novell Network. I loved to play with that.

Coder
  • »26.11.03 - 19:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @LorD

Sounds cool what you are doing!

Quote:

More information, I hope soon...

Counting on it!

You mean you are going to port Shadow of the Beast? Or use that kind of engine. Shadow.. is one game I do not mind seeing ported to MorphOS. :-)

Coder
  • »26.11.03 - 19:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I designing a Multiplayer card game..which I testing it with playing it on the table with friends(think Magic the Gathering)..
    But it takes time to be finished..I need good graphics and music too.

Just have some patience...I dont except to be the GameKiller but I'm sure that will be a great one.

Maybe can be a standard game inside MorphOS who knows...Card/Board games are always welcome.
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »26.11.03 - 20:59
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    An original idea would be to modify games engines like quake, wipeout etc to use them with 3D LCD glasses. I Have this glasses, and the effet is very very realistic.
    It seems to be easy to do this.
  • »26.11.03 - 21:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Well, as I see it, there are 2 basic types of ports...

1.Easy ports
    2.Hard / (almost) Impossible ports

For those in first category, why NOT port? In best cases there's no modifications to sources required...

But for second part, programs, like Mozilla... It might well be easier to start new project, taking that open source program as "goal" and start from scratch...

Of course, it wouldn't become 1:1 copy, but in some aspects it might be even better; For web browser, it might be much smaller, and have non-custom GUI (But standard MUI gui instead)

Having said that about ports, I'm working on 2 different game projects for MorphOS.
  • »26.11.03 - 22:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Our programmer (Polluxe) is developping a very impressive 2D engine using OpenGL and which let lot of freedom to graphicians. Since Megalospirit required a huge among of GFX, he started to play around with some ripped GFX from Shadow of the beast and decided with some others to port the entire game using his original game engine. There will be a real copy of the original and a deluxe version.

And we hope to finish a little playable demo of Megalospirit soon, but we can't say when :-p. We are 4 working on it : Polluxe, me, D-rex and Haploo
    N'cha, LorD
    http://www.lordfpx.com/
  • »27.11.03 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ple3003
    Quote:

Let’s say NO to porting and YES to creativity.
    I actually agree. But not because of porting being not as creative as making something from scratch. But i think ports have a nasty way of being not fine-tuned to the "new platform/os". Maybe bloat is a correct term for it. I do not like these "shortcuts".
    I might be wrong. What do YOU think?
    I eat people like you for breakfast ;-)
  • »27.11.03 - 20:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @ple3003

Quote:

I actually agree. But not because of porting being not as creative as making something from scratch. But i think ports have a nasty way of being not fine-tuned to the "new platform/os". Maybe bloat is a correct term for it. I do not like these "shortcuts".

I agree.

Coder
  • »27.11.03 - 20:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @Jupp3

Quote:

Having said that about ports, I'm working on 2 different game projects for MorphOS.

In Amos?

What happend to your Amos made OS? Still working on it?

Coder
  • »27.11.03 - 21:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

What happend to your Amos made OS? Still working on it?

Actually it was just kind of test how to make windowing system...
    The actual OS was supposed to be made for unexpanded C64 - About the stage of development, rather basic (asm, not talking about programming language here!) pre-emptitive multitasking kernel is actually working very well (And it's 52 bytes in size, talking about "Microkernel" :-) ) But currently, it doesn't do anything else than... Well, multitask :-)

About the Amos game projects, of those 2 projects I mentioned, the other (strategy game) was originally written in Amos, sources later converted to C.

The other project, Marble Madness clone, however is project I started writing on C from the start...

But about Amos projects... I've been working on (Now and then) getting Dawnbringer's DawnVideoPoker workinng on MorphOS, I have made some progress with that, but getting it ready some day won't DEFINITELY be easy...

I still work (now and then) on another Amos project, but that's not very high on importance list... And might well convert that project to C some day aswell...
  • »28.11.03 - 08:23
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Hows the Marble Madness clone progressing?

BTW, can you view that isometric landscape from all four angles? If yes, you could do a nice Matrix-style slow motion cameraspin ;-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »28.11.03 - 08:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

BTW, can you view that isometric landscape from all four angles?

Should be easy to implement...

But I think it's better having levels designed to be viewed from one direction only (Watching from another side might block much of the view)

I thought about creating something like Marble Madness rather than Spindizzy (Rather short races instead of complex levels)
    At least for the initial version...

Quote:

If yes, you could do a nice Matrix-style slow motion cameraspin

I guess that wouldn't look too good with 4 frames :-)
  • »28.11.03 - 09:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @Jupp3

Quote:

The actual OS was supposed to be made for unexpanded C64

Cool!

I think Amos is still cool. Besides working on the Mattathias BASIC for MorphOS port I think I will try to get some Amos stuff running on MorphOS. Cut out the hardware stuff.

Coder
  • »28.11.03 - 20:27
    Profile Visit Website