Open Source?
  • Just looking around
    Hi,
    This is my first post. I have been reading your forums for last 2 days and researching some videos on youtube around morphos. Seems like dev team has done good work reviving amiga spirit and getting it through to 21 century. You got the software that can play latest video stuff and even HTML5.
    I even started thinking about getting used mac mini g4, just to play around and maybe do some coding in the future. I used to have a classic Amiga 500 and 1200 with 040 cpu card 15 years ago.
    It probably wouldn't be my first OS for the day to day tasks. Morphos seems like easier to get into then Linux (for coding). Could be a hobby of some sort.
    I am still debating if I can really be bothered to come back to the Amiga thing.
    I couldn't find any road map for the OS either. Not sure what the future brings. Is there enough steam to move it forward.
    There has been around 2,5k licences issued for MOS. Don't you feel like what you're doing is very niche? Do you like it this way?
    Wouldn't it be nice to totally open source it (the kernel) and start building a community around it?

Just an idea.
  • »30.01.15 - 16:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Aros is open sourced and have max 100 users.
    Regarding roadmap, you can check
    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r5aVyPZrsRuiR5__QwN_FWl7X4-jGpjJre0s16EuFhw/edit?pli=1#slide=id.g123690456_016

some of things mentioned above is already implemented. Future Morphos version will support more gfx cards including 3d . Next version will support Sam460.
  • »30.01.15 - 17:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Yeah I heard about AROS but this is just an Amiga OS 3.1 clone running on Intel CPU, isn't it? Seems like a huge step back really, not to mention that programming intel cpu assembly was never a pleasant experience.
    Thanks for the road map link.
    Do you think Genesi or whoever holds rights to the MOS code would even consider open sourcing it? I can imagine they must have some interest in keeping it closed - maybe they put into something they don't want to share. But in the end, are they fine with supporting it in the future? It's not that this OS is commercial success or anything.
  • »30.01.15 - 17:22
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Aeros for pi (aros) surpassed the 1000 last December.
    Odroid u3/U2 version is at 40 individual users. Broadway had been downloaded over 50000 times (can be multiple times the same person).

All individual persons, no double count.
    Just for the records.

[ Edited by phoenixkonsole 30.01.2015 - 18:21 ]
  • »30.01.15 - 18:18
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
    Aeros for pi (aros) surpassed the 1000 last December.
    Odroid u3/U2 version is at 40 individual users. Broadway had been downloaded over 50000 times (can be multiple times the same person).

All individual persons, no double count.
    Just for the records.

How do you know that it was people who downloaded these files? A substantial amount of web traffic is being generated by bots crawling every link they find (including those pointing to ZIP archives, ISO images, etc.).

According to some sources, more than half of all internet traffic is generated by automated software on average. Link: Telegraph

For niche content, the percentage can be much higher.

Of course, there are various ways to increase the accuracy of your traffic statistics. But then again, one might not like the resulting numbers so many people avoid making the necessary effort.
  • »30.01.15 - 19:45
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Hi André
    The 50000 number was added later to my post - I added the () saying that this number can not be counted as individuals... The server where I hosted Broadway ISO back than was able to show hits + generated traffic. Those numbers where fitting together... So 50000+(in 2011) full downloads.
    This was when it got some attention from YouTube channels and some paper mags(linux action show for example).

The aeros for pi numbers are based only on registered users.
    Not counting the public downloads from 2011 till today. Didn't track them but I found even torrents : )

Most are not active on aros-exec.org or any other amiga forum which leads to the impression of no users. This is wrong. I always try to get them to ae but most people just send me emails and I am answering... Same is true for AresOne customers ... Way more than some may like (no overwhelming success but I doubt Sam was either)... Still you will find only a few people asking question or outing themselves to own one ..

The problem is that I sometime just set my stock in the shop to 0 because it is temporary too much for me to handle and I need a break... The good side of not making a living from sales.

Edit
    With individuals I mean - 50000 different persons.... I doubt that : )
    Also this number is about all Broadway releases (and I made a few). So maybe 2000-5000 trying 10 versions. That's the reason I like to have a store which gives me real numbers.

[ Edited by phoenixkonsole 30.01.2015 - 21:27 ]
  • »30.01.15 - 21:24
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    To the topic:
    I believe mos does it the right way. The demo concept is fine and talented developers are working on it anyway.
    For the future it makes sense to see aros as sort of what bsd was for OS X.

And hosted on unix solves a lot driver problems. I am experimenting since 2012 with a mix of reactos and aros hosted called reactos fusion. Still aeros plus wine is better.

Broadway 1.0 will be the first commercialized aros distro (native)
    Commercialized by adding services and closed source elements.
    This way I hope to cross-finance more bounties. Also Icaros 2.x gave me some extra work (customer support)

Of course in my case there is no success needed to stay on course because it is my hobby : )

What I try to say is that aros could be the missing link for mos to new architectures.
    Ambient is what gives the os it's face.... So mimicking mos on a aros base should be doable.

Also this automagically brings two groups of talented coders together.

Just look at aros as opensource mos.

[ Edited by phoenixkonsole 30.01.2015 - 22:23 ]
  • »30.01.15 - 22:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    In fact, Number of users is less important than number of developers

http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/shortlog

I see 7 people working on aros during last 3 months. 1/3 of commits were about delint or date/version bump.

[ Edited by zukow 30.01.2015 - 23:40 ]
  • »30.01.15 - 22:25
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8848&forum=2&post_id=92937#forumpost92937

A week in aros
  • »30.01.15 - 22:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Yep, that the same things i can read from git commits. It seems that Aros devs are still working on compatibility, which was finished in MorphOS about 10 years ago. I'm not going to say that Aros is worse, just pointing to the fact that older, open source system is as advanced as MorphOS 10 years ago.
  • »30.01.15 - 22:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > AROS [...] is just an Amiga OS 3.1 clone running on Intel CPU, isn't it?

"The goal of the AROS project is it to create an OS which: [...]
    2. Can be ported to different kinds of hardware architectures and processors, such as x86, PowerPC, Alpha, Sparc, HPPA and other; [...]
    5. Improves upon the functionality of AmigaOS.
    "
    http://aros.sourceforge.net/introduction/

> programming intel cpu assembly was never a pleasant experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_programming_language

> Genesi or whoever holds rights to the MOS code

Genesi and MorphOS parted ways almost a decade ago.
  • »30.01.15 - 22:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > AresOne customers ... Way more than some may like (no overwhelming success
    > but I doubt Sam was either)

Btw, how's your AresOne PPC going?
  • »30.01.15 - 22:49
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    Yep, that the same things i can read from git commits. It seems that Aros devs are still working on compatibility, which was finished in MorphOS about 10 years ago. I'm not going to say that Aros is worse, just pointing to the fact that older, open source system is as advanced as MorphOS 10 years ago.

: )
    Noveau 3d?
    And so much more compatible isn't it compared to aros 68k.
    With a bit of vamos you can get it done on x86 as well.

Also I read nowadays manny problems of unsupport burners an other issues....
    Issues which come if you start to support more an more different hardware combinations.

I find Broadway 0.86 from 2012 more stable than latest Icaros but this is caused by a back port of Abu v1 to v0 and just needs testing -> feedback -> fixing

And what happens in 10 years exactly?
    Take 2009 - today in aros land... There happens a lot more and on 3 CPU architectures.

Impresses me a bit more.

: ) a try to motivate for cooperation ends in a flame war ; )

Take it with humor...

[ Edited by phoenixkonsole 30.01.2015 - 22:51 ]
  • »30.01.15 - 22:50
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > AresOne customers ... Way more than some may like (no overwhelming success
    > but I doubt Sam was either)

Btw, how's your AresOne PPC going?

I stopped it.. Too much trouble with the casedesign...
    It is replaced by boingbox ppc.... Only refurbished since sam460cr is rare as helium3
    Sold 3 since announcement and have 2 in stock. Only sam440 so not interesting for mos.
  • »30.01.15 - 22:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    I know that Aros done huge step after fixing all parts for Aros68k port to work with AOS binaries. I'm just saying that open source model isn't better than closed one.

Problems with dvd burners will be probably fixed in Morphos 3.8.
  • »30.01.15 - 23:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/shortlog
    > I see 7 people working on aros during last 3 months.

I count 9.
  • »30.01.15 - 23:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

zukow schrieb:

Is it? Explain that
  • »30.01.15 - 23:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

zukow schrieb:
    In fact, Number of users is less important than number of developers

http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/shortlog

I see 7 people working on aros during last 3 months. 1/3 of commits were about delint or date/version bump.

[ Edited by zukow 30.01.2015 - 23:40 ]

How many are really working on MorphOS? I doubt there are much more than working on AROS
  • »30.01.15 - 23:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Active MorphOS developers for current release are always listed in Morphos about window in Ambient.
  • »30.01.15 - 23:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > With a bit of vamos you can get it done on x86 as well.

Works only for command line programs.

http://lallafa.de/blog/amiga-projects/amitools/vamos/
  • »30.01.15 - 23:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    @zukow

Does Stefan Stunz still develops for MorphOS? I am asking because although he is listed on the about of 3.7 release I thought he has stepped down for a brief period of time.

Btw, my about box shows 22 developers for whoever wanted to know the number :P
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »30.01.15 - 23:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > my about box shows 22 developers for whoever wanted to know the number :P

Should be the same 22 as listed there:

http://www.morphos-team.net/team
  • »30.01.15 - 23:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I for one don't want MorphOS to be open source until every developer lose interest. There already is AROS, and open source is by no way a magic bullet, and the current developers do a really fine job as it is (close source and all).

I also think that MorphOS could become something great, but that requires a lot of money. Or a lot of non paid coders. Things MorphOS (and AROS and AmigaOS 4) simply lack. So we have to do with what we got. But IMO it's still pretty good :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »30.01.15 - 23:46
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > With a bit of vamos you can get it done on x86 as well.

Works only for command line programs.

http://lallafa.de/blog/amiga-projects/amitools/vamos/

--------
    Yep in the form you know it .
  • »31.01.15 - 08:50
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
    Hi André
    The 50000 number was added later to my post - I added the () saying that this number can not be counted as individuals... The server where I hosted Broadway ISO back than was able to show hits + generated traffic. Those numbers where fitting together... So 50000+(in 2011) full downloads. This was when it got some attention from YouTube channels and some paper mags(linux action show for example).

Bots do download full files as well. They even unpack archives and index file contents. I remember BillP proudly discussing the rather excessive site traffic statistics for amiga.org a while back, which could only be explained with non-human visitors (and a less than perfect site / server configuration).

Quote:

Most are not active on aros-exec.org or any other amiga forum which leads to the impression of no users. This is wrong. I always try to get them to ae but most people just send me emails and I am answering... Same is true for AresOne customers ... Way more than some may like (no overwhelming success but I doubt Sam was either)... Still you will find only a few people asking question or outing themselves to own one ..

This certainly raises questions regarding the 'quality' of user bases. Hypothetically, is it better to have a million users who silently run your software but lack any willingness to contribute money or engage with other users in public than it is to have a thousand users who support development efforts financially and are motivated participants of online communities and offline meetings?

Quote:

With individuals I mean - 50000 different persons.... I doubt that : )
    Also this number is about all Broadway releases (and I made a few). So maybe 2000-5000 trying 10 versions. That's the reason I like to have a store which gives me real numbers.

You are not the first person to mention five figure download numbers in the context of discussions about the AROS user base. Personally, I find these numbers to be potentially highly misleading and rather lacking in terms of credibility.
  • »31.01.15 - 10:35