Price of MorphOS license
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    @ redrumloa
    I have no particular love for the C64.
    It uses a 6502 based processor and I was mever impressed with that.

BTW nowadays you can add a Turbo Chameleon 64 expansion and get not just a vastly expanded C64, but also ability to run many other system "cores", including Amiga (Minimig) and Atari 800XL.

[ Edited by redrumloa 23.06.2016 - 17:03 ]
  • »23.06.16 - 20:02
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    @OlafSch
    Ten, fifteen years ago everyone waited for Hyperion to succeed and take over the (Amiga) world. This is the reason why so many people did not go into MorphOS or AROS - because both was not the “official” way. The PR machinery of a certain lawyer and his neverending claim “all but us are illegal” (without ever any proof) destroyed the last hopes for a collaboration and common development of the different camps (which was totally what that certain person aimed for). But other than thinking on their own ("hey man, he just claims and he is a studied lawyer. If it is his daily profession for decades, why can't he bring the slightest proof to his claim?") many people liked what he said and followed their shepherds who told them “go the official way no matter what it will bring, no matter what it will cost, no matter when (if?) it will ever be available. Never look aside or you will get blind. I will SUE you until you get blind!!!”. Those phrases held back many many people from better alternatives (AROS and MorphOS). The OS4 followers put all their expectations into Hyperion and claimed “Hyperion will rule them all” by repeating those phrases again and again. No one at that time would have thought that Hyperion will suck completely at maintaining the AmigaOS. No one but … well … all those who knew that Hyperion was a company for porting games which has totally completely absolutely definitely nothing to do with developing an operating system. So no one but everyone outside Hyperion and their sheeps. Hyperion did not just f:ck up OS4 but the whole Amiga scene. Thanks, Hyperion!

Quote:

The "pain" can be solved easily, drop "NG"

This is … well: like telling Microsoft: “some old Win95 applications do not run anymore with Windows 8. Simple solution: throw away all improvements and go back to make it run with Win95”.

Quote:

We will see how the situation will be in a year from now, I do not believe that much will improve regarding "NG".

Me either. It will take years, I guess. Until then I enjoy my system without penetrating others all day why their system sucks. Could you do the same, maybe?

Quote:

If you look f.e. on facebook pages you can see how much bigger the potential 68k market is compared to NG, you also see it when looking at amiga 68k orientated hardware projects, activity on 68k orientated forums, there is nothing NG related that can compare.

So if we cannot compare to you, why do you always come here to boast your <peep> we can never reach? Go facebook, stay 68k but don’t tell a CinePlex “hey man, remember good old black/white movie days? Your colour movies suck and I know better than you. Go back and buy a b/w projector, I want you to show me the real movies (although I know that you can because already have them all, hahaha)”. Are you a lawyer maybe?
  • »23.06.16 - 20:08
    Kronos
    @amigadave

You have to remember that the core of the Amino&Hype contract was that both sides thought they had just pulled a big one over the other one (50.000$ buyback vs. bancruptsy clause), anyone else taking that deal would either have to be morally atleast as corrupt as Ben Hermans or would have been thrown under the bus.

Or in short there is a very good reason why MorphOS did not end up named AmigaOS........
  • »23.06.16 - 20:19
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    @ redrumloa

I have an Atari XE with a 6809 processor, expanded memory, an video enhancement board and a second sound chip.

You do realize the Atari XT computers were released in 1985 while the C64 was released in 1982? A little bit apples and oranges. A better comparison would be the 128D. Basically Atari's last 8bit compared to Commodore's last 8bit. The 128D(and 128) hadI both an 8510 and Z80A. The 128 line sold about 6M units worldwide.

Quote:

I have no particular love for the C64.
    It uses a 6502 based processor and I was mever impressed with that.

Why? From a programmer's perspective?

There were a few really nice 65816 based accelerators for the C64 and C128 if you like those better. They are a bit hard to come by these days and expensive, but a few projects out there may bring a new one in the future.

6809 over 6502?
    Yeah, from a programming perspective.
    Multiply instruction (with a divide command added the Hitachi 6309), a 16 bit accumulator (2 in the 6309 concatable into a 32 bit accumulator), support for position independant code (6502 limitions across contiguous memory addresses are really annoying), a lot of other differences.

It was too expensive though.

The 6502 didn't offer much improvement over the 6800 (except for price).
    The 6809 did.

The higher speed Western chips are interesting though particularly the 65816.

And I have on hand some Western 65C21 PIA adapter chips because they are rated at such a higher clock speed than Motorola, Hitachi, or MOS peripheral interface adapters.

The HD63C09 is rated at 3 MHz and will overclock to 4 or 5 MHz, but everyone elses PIA chips top out at 2 MHz.

But you're right, interest in 8 bit is still strong. Its simple enough to consider machine code and directly hammering the hardware.

It makes a good starting point to learning how microprocessors actually work.
    And if challenging its still kind of fun.

[ Edited by Jim 23.06.2016 - 20:38 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.06.16 - 20:23
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @amigadave

You have to remember that the core of the Amino&Hype contract was that both sides thought they had just pulled a big one over the other one (50.000$ buyback vs. bancruptsy clause), anyone else taking that deal would either have to be morally atleast as corrupt as Ben Hermans or would have been thrown under the bus.

Or in short there is a very good reason why MorphOS did not end up named AmigaOS........

Yes, period was ugly.
    And didn't Bill want control of the OS?
  • »23.06.16 - 20:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    @Amigadave

Just my personal view, most in the amiga community that are still active are here for retro reasons, for daily work they use a modern PC or Mac, have smartphones and tablets. The interest in another "modern" platform is limited (expecially if it will not offer real advantages compared to current mainstream platforms).

I don't agree with your "personal view", and would argue that most of the NG Amiga users (of all 3 camps) are NOT here for ONLY retro reasons. Yes, they may currently be forced to use a PC or Mac for many of their computing needs, but that is not by choice, it is because none of the NG Amiga platforms currently have the capability to do everything they need/want to do. If/When any of the NG Amiga platforms are capable of doing most, or all of the computing tasks that these NG Amiga users need/want, then they can greatly reduce, or possibly eliminate their dependence on PC or Mac computers. Completely eliminating the need to use a PC or Mac might never be possible, but the need can certainly be greatly reduced, over time.

Quote:

Vampire/Apollo perfectly fits in the market and will sell in thousands. NG platforms will always compared to the other platforms and not accepted as long they not offer real advantages. I (as many others) feel at home in the 68k "retro" world, I do not need or want a "hyper-OS" with 64bit, SMP and MP because this already run on my notebook (including plenty of software not available on any NG platform). The competition on X86/X64 is very heavy, on ARM there might be more chances (f.e. Raspberry) but only "if" there is enough modern software. People in the community are still too hardware and OS-feature orientated, people today use devices and apps, content rules. Even Microsoft gives development software for free because they understood that only content sells today. In this high-competitive world MorphOS NG or whatever has no realistic chance except one of the camps manages to create a modern platform with up-to-date software even more advanced than what is available f.e. on Windows. Of course MorphOS developers finally do the ISA transition for fun and personal interest but I do not think it will add many new users or developers, this change should have done 10 years ago at a time where still were relative higher numbers of users and developers left, today it is too late already. Some existing users might buy it, perhaps even some might join but the "counter" will be steep at first but then will be flat again. It is funny today that it seems many former NG users and developers seem to go "back to the roots" again and drop NG and develop for amiga (=68k).

[ Editiert durch OlafSch 23.06.2016 - 11:31 ]

The Vampire/Apollo project is very interesting to users still interested in 68k software and hardware, but many Amiga users have gotten over the novelty of the original Amiga hardware and the elegance of its original pre-emptive OS. Some, like me, are interested in both the 68k and NG camps, while others, like yourself, are only interested in one or the other and sometimes rant against the other camp(s), as they misguidedly regard them as some kind of opposition. Regarding modern software for the NG platform(s), not much can be created, until a truly modern NG OS is created, without the limitations of the legacy system that inspired it, and development tools equal to what is available for other modern platforms are available, or at least tools that are close to being equal to existing tools for Windows, Linux and Mac platforms. We all know that this transition will take a very long time, but many of us are not content with how Windows, Linux and MacOSX work, and know that there is a better way. MorphOS NG will not soon over take any modern OS, but it might slowly grow in popularity, if it can operate similar to how the original Amiga worked, while slowly incorporating all the features currently present in those other modern OSes. It will take a very long time, maybe decades, and it may not succeed because it may die due to lack of user support, or the Dev. Team may lose interest and no longer wish to devote their free time working on it, but I fully support the current direction of the MorphOS Dev. Team and look forward to seeing what they can come up with over the next 5 to 10 years. You may say that you are not interested in 64bit, SMP & MP for any NG Amiga inspired platform, but I bet when it arrives, you will be interested enough to check it out and see what it is capable of. At that time, you may find that MorphOS of x64 is something you want to use and support (in addition to your continuing interest in 68k and/or Open Source projects).

I think you mistake developers of NG Amiga software, who now show some renewed interest in 68k hardware and software projects. I don't believe that any of them have completely given up on NG Amiga systems, just because they show an interest in anything related to 68k projects.

I don't think that MorphOS for x64 will be finished within the next 12 months (but would love to be proved wrong, the MorphOS Dev. Team is really amazing regarding what they can produce in a reasonable amount of time), so lets revisit this discussion in 2 or 3 years, and I will gladly accept your apology for the disbelief in the abilities of the MorphOS Dev. Team, and the desires of most Amiga users, you have expressed in this thread. ;-)

[ Edited by amigadave 23.06.2016 - 14:30 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.06.16 - 20:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @amigadave

That is what happens when you put two crooks in the same room to make a deal with each other, everyone gets screwed!

Its just like politics. Soon, it looks like the American voters will have a choice to vote for a financial criminal, or a raving lunatic, who happens to also be a financial criminal, to be their next President.

Given enough time without interference from other greedy people, or companies, I believe that McBill and the MorphOS Dev. Team could have come to an agreement, specially once McBill saw how MorphOS was shaping up, and how talented the MorphOS Dev. Team members are. I don't know the exact history and dates of when work on MorphOS began, in relation to the dates discussions regarding creating AmigaOS4.x between McBill and the MorphOS Dev. Team, but my impression is that work on MorphOS had begun before those discussions. I don't know what state of completion MorphOS was in, when talks with McBill took place.

@Jim,

Yes, McBill wanted complete control of the OS that would be created as AmigaOS4.x. I can see why the MorphOS Dev. Team did not want that to happen, but I also understand Amiga Inc.'s position of wanting to contract people to create something for a price, and to then own what Amiga Inc. had paid for, although Amiga Inc. most likely couldn't come up with the amount of money MorphOS would have been really worth at that time, and certainly couldn't sustain development of AmigaOS4.x into the future, unless it was completed quickly enough, at the time we still had several hundred thousand users willing to buy AmigaOS4.x and then pay for upgrades to keep the development going forward.

[ Edited by amigadave 23.06.2016 - 15:09 ]
  • »23.06.16 - 20:59
    KennyR
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    That is what happens when you put two crooks in the same room to make a deal with each other, everyone gets screwed!

Its just like politics. Soon, it looks like the American voters will have a choice to vote for a financial criminal, or a raving lunatic, who happens to also be a financial criminal, to be their next President.

That's because you have a system that guarantees that only financial criminals can afford to take part.

So it was with Amiga as well - it was hysterically overpriced, and each of its successive owners after Commodore not only had to work out how to make money from it, but make up for how royally screwed they were by the last owners. Of course it was going to fall into the hands of scammers, what else could it really do? Escom were trying to sell basic A1200 "surf" systems that couldn't load a typical 90s webpage in less than 30 seconds for about the same price as a PC. Gateway didn't know what the f to do with what they had bought.

A lot of good companies tried to get the Amiga name and failed, and some not so good ones. In the end Amino did because they had plans, plans that didn't involve them doing any work. I believe that they did pay a huge sum for it, but that money was probably borrowed from unwitting investors thinking they were going to get the next coming of Jesus in silicon.

Quote:

Given enough time without interference from other greedy people, or companies, I believe that McBill and the MorphOS Dev. Team could have come to an agreement, specially once McBill saw how MorphOS was shaping up, and how talented the MorphOS Dev. Team members are. I don't know the exact history and dates of when work on MorphOS began, in relation to the dates discussions regarding creating AmigaOS4.x between McBill and the MorphOS Dev. Team, but my impression is that work on MorphOS had begun before those discussions. I don't know what state of completion MorphOS was in, when talks with McBill took place.

McEwen is cancer. You don't intentionally give yourself cancer.
  • »23.06.16 - 21:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    If you look f.e. on facebook pages you can see how much bigger the potential 68k market is compared to NG

Funny you say that, given no 68k browser can open a facebook page :)
  • »23.06.16 - 21:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > my impression is that work on MorphOS had begun before those discussions.

Yes, of course. It was Olaf "olsen" Barthel who presented MorphOS to Amiga Inc.

> I don't know what state of completion MorphOS was in, when talks with McBill took place.

It was the time of MorphOS 0.4 to 0.8.

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2001-02-00161-EN.html
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2001-10-00203-EN.html

> Amiga Inc.'s position of wanting to contract people to create something
    > for a price, and to then own what Amiga Inc. had paid for

According to what is known about those discussions, they were never about Amiga Inc. paying for the development but about Amiga Inc. merely throwing in the "Amiga" naming rights and maybe a Workbench license (Ambient came only later).

> at the time we still had several hundred thousand users willing to buy AmigaOS4.x

I think it was one order of magnitude less.
  • »23.06.16 - 22:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Gateway didn't know what the f to do with what they had bought.

Of course they did. They wanted it just for the patents.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2016-05-00050-DE.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStICmcjK9k

And these turned out to be really useful for Gateway between 2004 and 2006:

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7509&start=15

> that money was probably borrowed from unwitting investors

Yes, that's a known fact.

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2001-01-00258-EN.html
    https://sites.google.com/site/amigadocuments/#TOC-1998-1999:-Gateway-Scraps-Amiga-Brand
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentti_Kouri

> thinking they were going to get the next coming of Jesus in silicon.

Amiga Inc. was about software, not hardware ;-)
  • »23.06.16 - 22:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

> I don't know what state of completion MorphOS was in, when talks with McBill took place.

It was the time of MorphOS 0.4 to 0.8.

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2001-02-00161-EN.html
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2001-10-00203-EN.html

Thanks for supplying that bit of info, as it is probably important for understanding what was presented, and how Amiga Inc. thought about it as a possible continuation of AmigaOS.

Quote:

> Amiga Inc.'s position of wanting to contract people to create something
    > for a price, and to then own what Amiga Inc. had paid for

According to what is known about those discussions, they were never about Amiga Inc. paying for the development but about Amiga Inc. merely throwing in the "Amiga" naming rights and maybe a Workbench license (Ambient came only later).

That doesn't make sense, unless the information I have heard or read is incorrect. What I and others have heard or read is that McBill & Amiga Inc., wanted control of MorphOS, after it would be renamed AmigaOS4. Surely he could not expect to obtain control of MorphOS/AmigaOS4 without paying for it, and using the sales revenue to continue developing it into the future. If the discussions never mentioned any payment from Amiga Inc. to Ralph Schmidt & the rest of the MorphOS Dev. Team members, and as you wrote, the discussion was about Ralph and the MorphOS Dev. Team members being granted a license to use the name AmigaOS4, plus perhaps also a license for the desktop name of Workbench (and I assume the use of all AmigaOS3.x source code, to assist in making MorphOS behave more like 3.1, or 3.9, on a fast Commodore Amiga computer with accelerator, except faster and with some new features). It would seem very strange to me if Amiga Inc. and McBill were trying to charge the MorphOS team a license fee for the name and maybe using any of the source code, but maybe it could have worked, if there were little or no money required to be sent to Amiga Inc. in the beginning, and only a percentage of the sales amount were promised to Amiga Inc., with the majority going straight to Ralph Schmidt and the rest of the MorphOS Dev. Team. Going back to the wide spread belief that McBill wanted control of the OS, which seems to be believed by many/most AmigaOS & MorphOS users I have talked to, or read forum posts from, just does not sense with no payment for the work done, even for a con man like McBill??? Granting a license to use the nave "AmigaOS", seems to me that Amiga Inc. would have been giving away the only valuable part of their IP rights that they still owned, which would require a high price for the license, or a very high percentage of all sales of AmigaOS4.x. Maybe I am misunderstanding something about the situation and the people involved, including the purpose and goals of Ralph Schmidt and the rest of the MorphOS Dev. Team members. McBill's intentions and goals have always been transparent and obvious, as simply a tool to drain investor's bank accounts with false promises and unrealistic expectations, and to somehow keep Amiga users hoping for something McBill was never going to be able to produce and deliver, an upgraded version of AmigaOS, without using outside contractors, or buying someone else's similar OS design and adapt it to some cheap hardware, that he could sell for a high (and disappointing to buyers) profit mark-up.

Do you know who, or which party that participated in those discussions, initiated the first contact between MorphOS Dev. Team, and McBill of Amiga Inc.?

Quote:

> at the time we still had several hundred thousand users willing to buy AmigaOS4.x

I think it was one order of magnitude less.

Yes, perhaps you are correct regarding how many active AmigaOS/AROS/MorphOS users there were during the time those discussion were going on, but I guess my number was the remaining users at that time, plus many users who had only recently become former users of Classic & NG Amiga systems. It is my belief that if the right decision had been made at that time (meaning that MorphOS had become the new AmigaOS4.x, and enough word of mouthy promotion of the new AmigaOS4 was done, we might have seen many of those former Amiga users come back, at least to see what was being offered, and how well it worked. Of course, a lot would have hinged on the reliability and performance without crashing or locking up, any new PPC based hardware would have been. If the early AmigaOne hardware problems repeated them selves exactly as the past played out, then the resulting harm might have been even worse that it was in our past history, and may have done even more harm to Amiga Inc. and the MorphOS Dev. Team, who would have shared some of the blame, even if they had nothing to do with the decisions about what hardware to use. Not until version 2.0, and the first release that would run on the PPC Mac Mini and beyond, would we have a low cost, relatively high performance AmigaOS4.x system that almost everyone could find and afford to buy.

Maybe we could then return to a number close to hundreds of thousands, instead of tens of thousands back then, or perhaps 3,000 to 5,000 users we probably have today using MorphOS3.9. One thing I am certain of is that if MorphOS would have been purchased to give it the name "AmigaOS4.x", or if Amiga Inc. had granted the MorphOS Dev. Team a license to use the name AmigaOS4, then there would never have been all the mud slinging and destructive talk about MorphOS being illegal, and we would have had many more users, including perhaps some of the current AROS users and all of the current AmigaOS4.x users. Development would have been much faster, and by this time today, we would already have all the features promised for AmigaOS4.2 (except the promises that don't make sense, or the ones which will produce less that satisfactory results, no matter how many development hours and/or dollars are thrown at the problem.

Things would definitely be different, and I choose to believe that any changes from the way it is now, would make this alternate reality, of the history of the last 10 to 15 years, immensely better than the way things are now, with AmigaOS4.x users currently depending on Hyperion's false promises, and suffering with their inability to produce timely and effective results. A-eon's attempts to make things better for AmigaOS4.x users is admirable, but they are not in control of AmigaOS4.x, so they can only do so much with their hands tied, and they too are at the mercy of the (often bad) decisions made by Hyperion's owner(s)/manager(s).
  • »24.06.16 - 07:51
    Kronos
    @amigadave

Neverever put "common sense" and "McBill" in the same sentence.

Cos that guy was not only a scammer but also so full of himself that he really believed buying Amiga with borrowed money would put him on the same level of importance as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.

Think of him as a non-orange-skinned Donald Trump and he get an idea.
  • »24.06.16 - 09:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Fast real 68k not exist.
    After many years of lies and cheating gunnar von boehn and his followers still doesn't provide fast 68k.
    Vampire/natami crap is still slower than 68060 80 MHz and even slower than some Commodore prototypes.

Real Amiga OS on x86 not exist.
    There is not something like amiga gui and graphics on top unix.
    Aros x86 is not worth of use crap which is not modern and not compatible.
    MOS team since 2011 try to made something like aros which will be also not worth of use crap.

What left?

Amiga NG. Something hundred times faster than real 68k and still compatible with old software.

Some idiots has problems with existence of Amiga NG.
    They have to accept that as long as there will be not fast 68k or real Amiga Os on x86, we Amiga users will be still using better amiga than these made by commodore.
  • »24.06.16 - 11:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> According to what is known about those discussions, they were never about
    >> Amiga Inc. paying for the development but about Amiga Inc. merely throwing
    >> in the "Amiga" naming rights and maybe a Workbench license

> That doesn't make sense, unless the information I have heard or read is incorrect.
    > What I and others have heard or read is that McBill & Amiga Inc., wanted control
    > of MorphOS, after it would be renamed AmigaOS4.

Yes, control in the sense of having decisional power over certain technical aspects of the OS, not control in the sense of getting ownership of the OS. That's no contradiction to what I wrote. I never said Amiga Inc's demands were appropriate.

> Surely he could not expect to obtain control of MorphOS/AmigaOS4 without paying for it

Depends on what exactly "control" means in this context. I guess Amiga Inc. thought that contributing the "Amiga" name was worth enough to justify demand of certain control over the OS.

> and using the sales revenue to continue developing it into the future.

Amiga Inc. developing an OS? For real?

> If the discussions never mentioned any payment from Amiga Inc. to Ralph Schmidt
    > & the rest of the MorphOS Dev. Team members, and as you wrote, the discussion
    > was about Ralph and the MorphOS Dev. Team members being granted a license to use
    > the name AmigaOS4, plus perhaps also a license for the desktop name of Workbench

I mean a binary or object code license for the Workbench of AmigaOS 3.1, not a name license. Ambient didn't exist yet, as I wrote.

> and I assume the use of all AmigaOS3.x source code

I don't remember having read this was part of the plan.

> It would seem very strange to me if Amiga Inc. and McBill were trying to
    > charge the MorphOS team a license fee for the name

Why? That's what they did with Hyperion after all. Note that I didn't even claim Amiga Inc. were trying to do this with MorphOS. There are other ways both Amiga Inc. and the MorphOS team could have benefited financially from cooperation regarding the OS.

> the wide spread belief that McBill wanted control of the OS, which seems
    > to be believed by many/most AmigaOS & MorphOS users I have talked to, or
    > read forum posts from, just does not sense with no payment for the work done

As said, I think there may have been some misinterpretations regarding the meaning of the word "control" in this specific context.

> Granting a license to use the nave "AmigaOS", seems to me that Amiga Inc. would
    > have been giving away the only valuable part of their IP rights that they still
    > owned, which would require a high price for the license

...which could include granting Amiga Inc. a say over technical aspects :-)

> McBill's intentions and goals have always been transparent and obvious, as simply a
    > tool to drain investor's bank accounts with false promises and unrealistic expectations

If this really was true, he wouldn't have found even one single investor :-)

> and to somehow keep Amiga users hoping for [...] an upgraded version of AmigaOS,
    > without using outside contractors

Weren't Hyperion just that, and also Haage&Partner, the P96 team and Olaf "olsen" Barthel in the original OS4 project before Hyperion took over?

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=9360&start=45

Or do you mean the 15 months before the original OS4 project was announced in March/April 2001?

> Do you know who, or which party that participated in those discussions, initiated
    > the first contact between MorphOS Dev. Team, and McBill of Amiga Inc.?

As I wrote, it was Olaf "olsen" Barthel who presented MorphOS to Amiga Inc. From this I conclude it was Amiga Inc. who first contacted Ralph Schmidt, either directly or via Olaf Barthel.

> If the early AmigaOne hardware problems repeated them selves exactly as
    > the past played out, then the resulting harm might have been even worse
    > that it was in our past history, and may have done even more harm to
    > Amiga Inc. and the MorphOS Dev. Team

The Pegasos was already announced and in development back then, and Amiga Inc. was openly fond of it. Eyetech was not aware of the Teron boards yet and was still fully promoting the Escena-AmigaOne project. Of course, as it turned out, also the Pegasos was plagued by the problems of the Articia S.
  • »24.06.16 - 11:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Commodore before bankruptcy working on hombre based on good old HP PA-RISC 7100 100 MHz.
    Vampire/natami crap is still slower than good old HP PA-RISC 7100 100 MHz.

AROS x86 is not binary and source compatible with amiga os.
    ZUNE is still not working crap.

Quote:

No, what has been talked about since 2011 is something that does *not* have the same restrictions as AROS.

As long as future MOS x86 will be not unix based it will be not good enough to justify resignation from windows on pc and will be not worth of use crap.
  • »24.06.16 - 11:38
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Funny how these "Price/AROS/AOS/68k/MorphOS"-Threads end in debating the same arguments over and over. Not to mention the Red vs. Blue story from many years ago...

Never saw the need to decide between them and use one of the OSes exclusively.

The only thing which prevents me from using OS 4 is missing hardware & "classic Amiga only"-performance on WinUAE.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »24.06.16 - 11:55
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:

As long as future MOS x86 will be not unix based it will be not good enough to justify resignation from windows on pc and will be not worth of use crap.

While I rather liked the PA-RISC comment, this part of your diatribe is getting old.

Why UNIX? Will you at least justify your argument? It is, and has always been, a bloated mess.

And your preference, it aint gonna happen.
  • »24.06.16 - 13:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Porting os course. It takes too much time to port various stuff from rest of world.
    It takes too much time to prepare software env. before You can start coding.
    OWB for example.
    You can't just take sources and start playing with code.
    To compile it You need more than ten addidtional libraries.
    Disk space is cheap today.
    Even if unix is bloated so what?
    This "bloat" saves developers time.
    Going to x86 should fix this problem.
    MOS/Amiga Os on x86 should be based on unix.
  • »24.06.16 - 17:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Quote:

It claims 82% source compatibility.

This 18% especialy in gui makes big difference.
  • »24.06.16 - 17:20
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    Quote:

It claims 82% source compatibility.

This 18% especialy in gui makes big difference.

And the next generation of MorphOS will be far less compatible (out side of emulation software) and won't be based on UNIX.

So as far as I can see our desires in this matter are diametrically opposed.
  • »24.06.16 - 19:41