Odyssey and Silverlight pluggin
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Fairdinkem
    Hi everyone,

I was interested to see if Netflix would work in Odyssey which it was looking promissing till I got a request to install the Silverlight pluggin. I am interested if this could be made possible or is it something a work around is not possible for or is it a microsoft only thing?

Kindest regards
  • »25.10.14 - 02:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    M$ only thingie...

And aimed only at wintel & mactel architeture I believe...

Perhaps Novell made for Linux platforms an open source version of that runtime called Moonlight.

This one I presume it could be ported if only exists a version of it in PPC Linux distros...

P.S. Due to lack of interest, Moonlight on Linux was abandoned since 2012.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 25.10.2014 - 06:38 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »25.10.14 - 05:22
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Fairdinkem
    Well that's a shame cause it would be awesome to port Moonlight from Linux to MorphOS or AmigaOS.
  • »25.10.14 - 12:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:
    Well that's a shame cause it would be awesome to port Moonlight from Linux to MorphOS or AmigaOS.

It's certainly doable... but not a small task for sure. And given the fact that there won't be new versions of Silverlight, I doubt it makes much sense (take it from someone currently being a paid Silverlight developer).
  • »26.10.14 - 19:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I was interested to see if Netflix would work in Odyssey which it was looking promissing till I got a request to install the Silverlight pluggin. I am interested if this could be made possible or is it something a work around is not possible for or is it a microsoft only thing?

Kindest regards

As others have pointed out, Silverlight is a dead-end.

In fact, Netflix is moving away from Silverlight towards pure HTML5 video playback. However, this requires a web browser that supports "Encrypted Media Extensions" (EME). (Safari in the newly released MacOS Yosemite is one of these browsers. Like Odyssey, it is also based on Webkit.)
  • »27.10.14 - 19:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Kindest regards

As others have pointed out, Silverlight is a dead-end.

In fact, Netflix is moving away from Silverlight towards pure HTML5 video playback. However, this requires a web browser that supports "Encrypted Media Extensions" (EME). (Safari in the newly released MacOS Yosemite is one of these browsers. Like Odyssey, it is also based on Webkit.)

Unfortunately it is widely used, as for example in my country, Italy, the national broadcast RAI TV works only with Silverlight.

Yes it is a shame as I pay taxes to make online videos from my national broadcast availble to any platform, but so the world goes on...
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »29.10.14 - 17:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'd rather see a USB Digital TV (called Freeview in the UK) dongle supported, as you can always buy a DVD movie, but often TV is a watch it as it happens or miss it, though there are of course Online-On-Demand-TV services that can allow this, but not for MorphOS as far as I am aware, and certainly not for MorphOS in the UK, as far as I am aware.

Live TV P-I-P (Picture in Picture) in a small, yet re-sizeable, MUI window, capable of being moved from active screen to active screen, while using an application or browsing on the Web would be great ... it is a dream I have (did someone say pipe-dream?)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »29.10.14 - 22:39
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    Yes it is a shame as I pay taxes to make online videos from my national broadcast availble to any platform, but so the world goes on...

Ah, but the broadcaster's hands are often tied by Hollywood, FIFA, UEFA, etc that all demand their content to be DRMed and/or available only to specific IP ranges (geolocation). So don't whine at your broadcaster - whine at UEFA or FIFA, etc - best to ignore big football alltogether ;) and stop watching Hollywood productions.

If their players were built a couple of years ago, only Silverlight was able to provide a DRM accepted by Hollywood companies, etc.
  • »31.10.14 - 09:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    NewSense: USB TV Dongle support wouls be great. Especially if it was of the RTDVB-T variety as we could then also see a MorphOS SDR (software defined radio) solution. Lots of cool geeky things you can do witth that. :)

EDIT: for those intersted -

http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/blog/software-defined-radio-on-a-shoestring
  • »31.10.14 - 10:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:

Ah, but the broadcaster's hands are often tied by Hollywood, FIFA, UEFA, etc that all demand their content to be DRMed and/or available only to specific IP ranges (geolocation). So don't whine at your broadcaster - whine at UEFA or FIFA, etc - best to ignore big football alltogether ;) and stop watching Hollywood productions.

If their players were built a couple of years ago, only Silverlight was able to provide a DRM accepted by Hollywood companies, etc.

In the truth it is no problem, as sports events and many fiction is DIRECTLY NOT AVAILABLE online by the broadcaster....

As long as RAI is STATE BROADCASTER and payed by taxes by us citizens, I'd like that the streaming online platform should be opensourced and not monopolized by Silverlight only software...

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 02.11.2014 - 14:53 ]
  • »02.11.14 - 12:52