how to create an ISO image?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Hello,

I would like to burn ISO images from CD/DVDs for backup, but I can't find how to do it with Jalapeno. Is there a way to do it or should I use another software for that?
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »15.10.14 - 22:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hi emeck :-D

you want to create or burn an ISO file ?

Jalapeno can do the two things.

i create the ISO of the pack Crysalis with the excellent Jalapeno :-D

Click right mouse bouton to show all actions of Jalapeno
  • »16.10.14 - 19:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Hello Papiosaur,

I want to make an ISO image from a CD. I see the option to Copy Tracks which makes an image and a TOC file in the temporary drawer, but after reading the CD, if I don't burn, those are deleted. I want to keep an image of the CD for backup.

Am I missing something?
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »16.10.14 - 22:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    Hello Papiosaur,

I want to make an ISO image from a CD. I see the option to Copy Tracks which makes an image and a TOC file in the temporary drawer, but after reading the CD, if I don't burn, those are deleted. I want to keep an image of the CD for backup.

Am I missing something?

Three steps to make a ISO with Jalapeno:

1. Start Jalapeno and choose in the menu "Burn Files"
    2. Drop your CD/DVD on the window.
    3. Select in the Menu "Create an ISO-File"

Thats all!
    Spreedy - The spreedsheet editor of MorphOS
    Calimero - Do you know about the new DTP Program for MorphOS ?
  • »17.10.14 - 00:28
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:

Thats all!

But doesn't that make new copy from filesystem level (adds all the files from the CD) instead of raw copying whole CD no matter what it contains?

I quickly tried yesterday to use that copy cd function and I renamed the temp image before it deleted it, but it didn't seem to be standard ISO compatible file, because mounting it resulted messed up disc name and directory listing. So it seems that read ISO file from disc option is maybe missing.... unless Jaca has some tip to tell :)
  • »17.10.14 - 05:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:

Thats all!

Thanks pegasos-sigi2, found it.

However, the Holywood CD gives me read errors and with the AF110 CD Jalapeno reports error generating the iso file. I'll try those in my pc and some other CD with Jalapeno later today and report the results.

I'm using a PowerBook G4 BTW, with MorphOS 3.7.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »17.10.14 - 08:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    But doesn't that make new copy from filesystem level (adds all the files from the CD) instead of raw copying whole CD no matter what it contains?

I quickly tried yesterday to use that copy cd function and I renamed the temp image before it deleted it, but it didn't seem to be standard ISO compatible file, because mounting it resulted messed up disc name and directory listing. So it seems that read ISO file from disc option is maybe missing.... unless Jaca has some tip to tell :)

I was able finally to create an ISO image from a CD using pegasos-sigi2's instructions, which I copied to a USB drive and later mouted and worked under Linux. However, it was a CD burned with 8.3 filenames and directories. Maybe Jalapeno can't cope with long filenames when creating ISO images?

I'll try mkisofs to see if it works.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »18.10.14 - 12:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    Maybe Jalapeno can't cope with long filenames when creating ISO images?
    I'll try mkisofs to see if it works.

Yes it can - it actually uses mkisofs. No idea what your problem is exactly without more details.
  • »18.10.14 - 12:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Hi jacadcaps
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Yes it can - it actually uses mkisofs. No idea what your problem is exactly without more details.

I followed the steps posted in the thread and after selecting "Create an ISO File", Jalapeno shows "Writing the ISO file" message and after a while (half a minute or so) it shows "Failed generating the ISO files!"

I'm trying to make the ISO image of the Amiga Future 110 CD. I already did it with a PC and Linux so the CD seems ok. It also shows in Ambient and I'm able to open it and browse the content.

What else would you need me to check that can help find the problem?

EDIT: Just tested with a USB CD drive and the same result.

EDIT 2: made some ISO images from several CDs with internal and USB drives. All worked this time. My Holywood CD seems to be faulty, but not the AF110 which Jalapeno doesn't like.

[ Edited by emeck 18.10.2014 - 14:03 ]
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »18.10.14 - 14:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    EDIT 2: made some ISO images from several CDs with internal and USB drives. All worked this time. My Holywood CD seems to be faulty, but not the AF110 which Jalapeno doesn't like.

Copying via USB sounds really weird :)

Anyway... Jalapeno has a log window which supports select & copy so you can check the log output to see why it fails generating an ISO.

About 8+3... maybe you used a FAT16 USB stick? :)

[ Edited by jacadcaps 19.10.2014 - 16:58 ]
  • »19.10.14 - 18:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Copying via USB sounds really weird :)

Anyway... Jalapeno has a log window which supports select & copy so you can check the log output to see why it fails generating an ISO.

About 8+3... maybe you used a FAT16 USB stick? :)

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't use any USB stick. I used an external USB CDWriter to read the CD and make the ISO image. Result is the same as with with the internal one.

Below is the link to the log file. The first 2 lines appear instantly and later lots of others, more than can be copied from the log windows. I pasted all I could.

https://app.box.com/s/5506mr4yqjc9wbzzckmv

It seems to be several files with the same name in the CD. In fact, browsing the CD, I see several amanda drawers inside the same rr_moved drawer. And there are other drawers repeated.

I don't know much about filesystems, but thought that you cannot have files or drawers with the same name in the same drawer?
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »20.10.14 - 21:37
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    Hello,

I would like to burn ISO images from CD/DVDs for backup, but I can't find how to do it with Jalapeno. Is there a way to do it or should I use another software for that?

If not too late.
    You can use RAWDISK
  • »14.06.15 - 16:43