Upgrading Mac Mini
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    I did upgrade my Mac Mini from 3.5 to 3.7 last night, and all went well.
    That is after I figured out how to actually do the update. I must admit I dont use my Mac Mini much these days, so I tend to forget how to this between each update.
    So I go to http://www.morphos-team.net/installation and read the instructions for Mac Mini.

Mac mini:

- Turn on the Mac mini.

- In order to eject a previously inserted disc from your optical drive, press and hold your left mouse button during the reboot or power on process.
    Insert the MorphOS CD immediately while holding the 'C' key.

- If the mini doesn't boot MorphOS or it has already booted another operating system, reboot and press and hold the 'C' key immediately after the welcome chime. Alternatively you can press and hold the Alt key to get to the mini's boot menu.

- MorphOS will now start booting. Once it is done booting, follow the on screen
    instructions.

At this point I have already the CD in the slot, since I did use MacOS to download and burn the update image. So I press and hold 'C' while rebooting.
    Then it apears to boot from the CD and I get the language choice menu and when I continue I get to the message that my boot.image is to old, and I am instructed to to the open firmware prompt and type: boot /pci/cd
    I did try that, but only get an error message "load size to small" or something like that. At this point I was a bit frustrated, finding that both the on-screen instruction and the online installation notes seem to be wrong.
    At the end I did the thing that worked, and of course it was as simple as holding Alt during boot and select the CD media for booting.

The Alt method is described as an alternative method in the installation instructions, but I did not catch this at first because it is written to be the solution if you cant boot MorphOS or if it already have booted another operatins system, and I did not feel that did apply for my situation.

I do have my Mac Mini set up with MorphOS/MacOSX 10.5.8 dual boot. Is this the reason that the instructions I get on-screen or online gets confusing?
    If this is general for any MacMini setup, I wish they could update their instruction so its more clear how to do the update.

On the positive side, I just discovered that now for the first time the in-built wlan works on my MorphOS. Very good work! Now I can finally put my wlan bridge to rest.
  • »15.09.14 - 09:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

amyren wrote:
    At this point I have already the CD in the slot, since I did use MacOS to download and burn the update image. So I press and hold 'C' while rebooting.
    Then it apears to boot from the CD and I get the language choice menu and when I continue I get to the message that my boot.image is to old, and I am instructed to to the open firmware prompt and type: boot /pci/cd

This happens if the Mac for whatever reason didn't actually boot from the CD but rather loaded the boot image from the already installed version of MorphOS.

Quote:

I did try that, but only get an error message "load size to small" or something like that. At this point I was a bit frustrated, finding that both the on-screen instruction and the online installation notes seem to be wrong.
    At the end I did the thing that worked, and of course it was as simple as holding Alt during boot and select the CD media for booting.

The instructions displayed in that case really only apply to the Pegasos and Pegasos 2 computers.

I've added a ticket to our bug tracking system about this, so with a bit of luck, the next version of MorphOS will display Mac-relevant information in this case instead of the Pegasos 1/2 instructions when booting on a Mac.

Thanks for the report!
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »15.09.14 - 11:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Thanks for the reply.
    Just to satisfy my own curiosity, does any other Mac Mini's out there boot straight from the MorphOS installation cd just by holding 'C' during startup when doing this upgrade?
    Or must everyone use the 'Alt' method for upgrading?
  • »16.09.14 - 08:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Every single Mac Mini I've tried has booted fine by pressing C while booting, and I've installed MorphOS on about 10 different Mac Minis.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »16.09.14 - 09:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Every single Mac Mini I've tried has booted fine by pressing C while booting, and I've installed MorphOS on about 10 different Mac Minis.

Thanks for making that clear. I guess it must be the fact that my Mac Mini is set up for dual boot that makes this happen for me.
  • »16.09.14 - 18:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    It might also be related to the media you use. Is it CD-R or CD-RW ? imho CD-R works better, at least for my mini drive
  • »16.09.14 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    On my old PMac G5 (may she rest in peace) I had to hold Alt. I set open firmware to boot directly from the MorphOS drive, because I was able to dual boot with MorphOS or OSX. After I made that change, booting from CD stopped working, and I needed to do the same thing you mentioned above.
  • »16.09.14 - 20:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Quote:

esc wrote:
    On my old PMac G5 (may she rest in peace) I had to hold Alt. I set open firmware to boot directly from the MorphOS drive, because I was able to dual boot with MorphOS or OSX. After I made that change, booting from CD stopped working, and I needed to do the same thing you mentioned above.

Yes, that is the same situation I have. First time I installed MorphOS I used this guide to keep my OSX installation: http://dreamolers.binaryriot.org/dualboot.pdf
    Under section 6. it does mention that it will boot from cd but still use the boot.img from harddrive. And later in the section it explains how to make morphos boot ny default, and I also have done that.
  • »20.09.14 - 10:47