Octamed Soundstudio installation
  • Just looking around
    Pete
    Hi, this is my first post here. I have just installed Morphos 3.6 on my Mac Mini G4 1.5 and the latest Chrysalis.

I would like to install the Amiga 68k native application Octamed Soundstudio but I'm unsure what to do. I downloaded the now freeware version from Aminet (version 1.03c) and unpacked the lha archive to a folder, there was no installer so I launched the execuatable in the folder. The program launches but instantly freezes before all the menu and windows have appeared. Do I need to edit any config files or manually put some files someplace?

I have read that I will need to choose Maestro soundcard output in the mixer settings when I do get it running, do I need to install any patches or drivers for this?

Many thanks.

[ Edited by Pete 12.07.2014 - 07:02 ]
  • »12.07.14 - 09:01
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Hello,

Off topic but you should look at DigiBooster 3 instead if you're tracker inclined.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »12.07.14 - 09:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Quote:

Tcheko wrote:
    Hello,

Off topic but you should look at DigiBooster 3 instead if you're tracker inclined.

Your answer really is off topic. Nothing related with how to make
    Octamed work under MorphOS, if it's somehow compatible.

There's HivelyTracker and Milkytracker too.

And of course Digibooster by Krashan
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »12.07.14 - 11:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    You will have to run OMSS in E-UAE as it is incompatible with MorphOS.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »12.07.14 - 12:48
    Tcheko
    @diezi7 are you the new captain obvious?
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »12.07.14 - 16:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have read that I will need to choose Maestro soundcard output

That's with OS4 which has TheMaestrix available for it.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7750&forum=9
  • »12.07.14 - 18:45
  • Just looking around
    Pete
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I must have been mistaken reading that other users had OMSS running under MOS. That's a shame as I'd really like all my legacy Amiga aps installed. DigiBooster 3 is very good, I will definately purchase it.
  • »12.07.14 - 19:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    I imagine OMSS could be patched to work on MorphOS, but it wouldn't be a simple task and the fact that no one has ever done so means there isn't much call for it.

It seems to work well with E-UAE but I've never tried to see if the MIDI functionality works.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »13.07.14 - 13:31
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    sabbate
    to me it crashes the whole system and I morphos 3.5, sin is a very good program many complete!!

hi all
  • »15.07.14 - 15:55
    XDelusion
    yes, this is an on going and old issue I've had with MorphOS every since I bought it.

What it needs is something like NallePuh or PuhDerBaer for Amithlon, which redirects all audio that targets the Paula, and puts it through AHI instead. Without such software, all classic programs that depends upon Paula are of no use to us. I am SHOCKED that something like this was not implemented in MorphOS' early days.

On that note, one of the developers on the MorphOS Zone site had told me that it should not be a difficult thing to pull off and that once he had finished his current work, he'd try to write something like that for us.

So I ask all of you interested, to chime in on the MorphOS Zone forums and let them know that you want features like that so we can use our favourite tracker programs.
    That being said, Digibooster does not have MIDI support yet, OctaMED does, so that in itself is one reason why I my self REALLY want OctaMED running under MorphOS.
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »15.07.14 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    Dughhh... I wrote alll that out thinking I was on Amiga.org. Ha ha!

Well never mind, you've already posted here. :)

• »15.07.14 - 16:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Pete
    Quote:

XDelusion wrote:
    yes, this is an on going and old issue I've had with MorphOS every since I bought it.

What it needs is something like NallePuh or PuhDerBaer for Amithlon, which redirects all audio that targets the Paula, and puts it through AHI instead. Without such software, all classic programs that depends upon Paula are of no use to us. I am SHOCKED that something like this was not implemented in MorphOS' early days.

On that note, one of the developers on the MorphOS Zone site had told me that it should not be a difficult thing to pull off and that once he had finished his current work, he'd try to write something like that for us.

So I ask all of you interested, to chime in on the MorphOS Zone forums and let them know that you want features like that so we can use our favourite tracker programs.
    That being said, Digibooster does not have MIDI support yet, OctaMED does, so that in itself is one reason why I my self REALLY want OctaMED running under MorphOS.

I did use midi heavily with Octamed SS when it was in daily use in my studio up until 1999, so it would be excellent for the Morphos developers to implement that. On a side note I bought Amithlon when it was released and used it for some time, it was a crying shame that it was crushed. Anyway, I'll certainly add my support for this feature.
  • »17.07.14 - 20:47
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    I would love to have this working as well. Octamed SS is still my main Amiga app that I use every once and a while. Would be great to have it working on MorphOS. I've tried other trackers but none of them have the feel of SS.
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »18.07.14 - 12:17
    XDelusion
    We need something like Nalle Puh.

• »27.02.16 - 21:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In past days i've used e-audio device which refirect dound to ahi
  • »28.02.16 - 13:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

acepeg wrote:
    In past days i've used e-audio device which refirect dound to ahi

With Octamed SS on MorphOS?

This one?

http://aminet.net/package/driver/audio/eaudio.device

• »29.02.16 - 13:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yes. But in fact many soft won't work. Due to the lack of cia timer if i'm right. The problem is that on a a1200ppc morphos it should works. The right way is to have an emulator for custom chips. But with à such emulator the operating system will be to slow.
  • »29.02.16 - 18:05