Step by step guide for installing WB3.1 on MorphOS.
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I'd guess there's nothing wrong or ignored actually. It just boots from Data partition instead of that Workbench HDF, but both probably are there. You can press both mousebuttons on startup and see if you have two bootable partitions and try to boot from other.

But we also could try to change boot priorities of the drives. I haven't used any UAE that much that I'd know how it arranges the boot order, but I'd try first to move that hardfile line in .uaerc before the filesystem line. With a luck that's enough and UAE boots from correct partition this time.

If that doesn't help, then with a quick look on e-uae docs there seems to be filesystem2 and hardfile2 options for .uaerc, which allow you to define boot priorities.

You could try to change this line:
    filesystem=rw,Data:sys:emulation/e-uae/HardDisks/Data
    to this line:
    filesystem2=rw,DH1:Data:sys:emulation/e-uae/HardDisks/Data,0

And change this line:
    hardfile=read-write,32,1,2,512,sys:emulation/E-UAE/HardFiles/blank160.hdf
    to this line:
    hardfile2=rw,DH0:sys:emulation/E-UAE/HardFiles/blank160.hdf,32,1,2,512,1,
  • »13.06.14 - 08:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    There are a lot of files on the WHDLoad website, which one do I download?

I tried WHDLoad_usr_small and WHDLoad_usr, I transfer them to my newly recognised data file, I open E-UAE and I can see the drawer, I open the drawer nd see the installer - Yet when I double click on the installer I get an error "Unable to open your tool installer"....

??
  • »13.06.14 - 09:05
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Just for a confirmation, the above method will result in whdload slaves to be run ONLY after the emulation has started and the user has entered to 3.1. environment and not via iGame plus whdload wrapper throught the Ambient. Correctly?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »13.06.14 - 09:14
    Profile Visit Website
    Jambalah
    Jpv was faster and more accurate! Thanks!
    I was still reading..... =)

@MadCrow:
    Sonnet 1.8 is fast but believe me mdd 1.25 is a little faster..! This because L3 cache inside 1.25 (Sonnet hasn't) and a data bus faster (not so much: 133 mhz vs 166).
    Your G4 should be enough for MorphOS since this os needs no monster speed. Why don't you look for a sonnet 1.x too? There are some of them on ebay and are cheaper than a 1.8. And fast.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »13.06.14 - 09:15
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

madCrow wrote:
    There are a lot of files on the WHDLoad website, which one do I download?

I tried WHDLoad_usr_small and WHDLoad_usr, I transfer them to my newly recognised data file, I open E-UAE and I can see the drawer, I open the drawer nd see the installer - Yet when I double click on the installer I get an error "Unable to open your tool installer"....

Do for example like this:

On MorphOS:
    1) download WHDLoad_usr_small.lha to ram:
    2) open shell and type: lha x ram:WHDLoad_usr_small.lha sys:emulation/e-uae/HardDisks/Data/

And then on UAE:
    1) open shell and type: copy data:whdload/c/#? sys:c/
    2) copy data:whdload/s/#? sys:s/

Now you have installed minimal whdload installation :)
  • »13.06.14 - 09:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Would it be more benificial fo me to download and install WHDLoad_usr.lha as opposed to WHDLoad_usr_small.lha?

Once I've installed WHDLoad, how do I use it? (newbieness again...)

Quote:

@MadCrow:
    Sonnet 1.8 is fast but believe me mdd 1.25 is a little faster..! This because L3 cache inside 1.25 (Sonnet hasn't) and a data bus faster (not so much: 133 mhz vs 166).
    Your G4 should be enough for MorphOS since this os needs no monster speed. Why don't you look for a sonnet 1.x too? There are some of them on ebay and are cheaper than a 1.8. And fast.

TBH, with a 1.25ghz PPC processor overclocked to 1.5ghz, my Mac Mini is actually pretty fast, and once you disable double buffering 32mb of vram is enough even for enhanced desktop @ 24 bit. It's just that my G4 desktop has some history behind it and I'd love to cram a fast processor and 9600 - 9800 GPU in there and enjoy it again, didn't know about the disabled cache on the Sonet, cheers Jambalah.

Impressed with the help guys, thank you very much.

[ Edited by madCrow 14.06.2014 - 06:40 ]
  • »13.06.14 - 23:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > didn't know about the disabled cache on the Sonet

The off-chip L3 cache is not disabled. It's not addressable by MPC744x CPUs so simply not there on CPU boards with these CPUs.
  • »14.06.14 - 00:08
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

madCrow wrote:
    Would it be more benificial fo me to download and install WHDLoad_usr.lha as opposed to WHDLoad_usr_small.lha?

Once I've installed WHDLoad, how do I use it? (newbieness again...)

usr archive just has more languages for docs.

Now you can copy some whdload installed game to data: and run it on UAE. Some might also need kickstart image copied there, lets get into that later if needed...

Or you could try to setup some scripts if you want to try running whdload games directly from ambient, but I haven't done that myself yet, so that's for someone else to guide :)
  • »14.06.14 - 06:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ok,

So from what I gather, I download a WHDLoad installed game (I assume possibly off the WHDLoad website itself?) and place it in my Data folder on my MorphOS host operating system. From there I'm a little unclear, do I launch the game from my UAE emulated WB 3.1 install or do I launch the game from my host MorphOS operating system?

Not fussed either way, just a little unsure of what you're explaining.
  • »14.06.14 - 08:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Also, don't forget that some whdload installs also require specific kickstart rom images. The bundled docs explain which versions should be installed and where.
  • »14.06.14 - 12:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ok,

So I download a game off the WHDLoad website, I copy it from my MorphOS RAM disk into my data file, I start UAE and go to my WB 3.1 desktop, go to data and double click on the installer and I get an error message 'Unable to open the tool installer'....

....Why don't any of the install scripts work in WB3.1?! Even the installer script for WHDLoad itself comes up with the same error.

How do I install this game?

[ Edited by madCrow 15.06.2014 - 05:47 ]
  • »14.06.14 - 22:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    @jambalah Any chance to make a video of this iinstallation guide and upload it to YouTube? I find thai thread very helpful.
    MacMini G4 1.5GHz with MorphOS 3.9 FPGA MiST w/AmigaOS 3.9 (PFS3), FPGA Replay w/AmigaOS3.9, Amiga 1200 SCSI CD-RW, X-SURF 100 w/Rapidroad USB, External FDD with Chinon and Gotek units and Acer Aspire One ICAROS
  • »15.06.14 - 04:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ok....

I've been learning stuff....

I started from scratch again. I installed WB3.1 and dragged all the nessecary .lha files (lha.run, installer-43_3.lha and WHDLoad_usr.lha) into my data folder. I then installed lha.run using the shell, from there I installed the installer (to make it easier for a newb such as myself to install WHDLoad) and once the installer was installed I instaled WHDLoad using all defaults.

From there I installed Alien Breed by downloading the AlienBreed.lha from the WHDLoad website and installed using the disk images I have already using WHDLoad and the associated .lha off the WHLoad website....

....I thought I was really on a good thing...Then I tried to fire up the game....

I went to C:AlienBreed and double clicked on 'AlienBreed' from there I got the time consuming text because I don't have a registered version and after a few seconds a window popped up saying "DOS-ERROR #205 (OBJECT NOT FOUND) ON READING "DISK 1".

Anyone got any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?

....I'm learning... :)

I apreciate all the time people have offered a newb such as myself and I hope that other enthusiests can learn from this thread, because, to be honest, guides for Amiga/MorphOS enthusiests such as myself that are starting out that are not translated are really thin on the ground.

[ Edited by madCrow 15.06.2014 - 14:58 ]
  • »15.06.14 - 07:54
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    What you download from WHDLoad website are installer files which don't contain the game data files for legal reasons. They are meant to be used for you to install your bought games to HD. Installation requires that you have original disks or images of them.

But to make things easier, there are sites with preinstalled whdload games. Some games might be legal, some not. Try this for example. If you download games from there, you don't need anything from official WHDLoad site. Just unpack those games to your UAE setup somewhere.

You said you have AlienBreed in C:, that's not good place to have anything else than shell commands. You should make separate directory for games for example directly to your SYS: or just keep them on your Data: partition. Make for example Data:Games/ dir and unpack all games there.

Those WHDLoad games will work from OS3.1 in UAE, but there might be some trickery to be able to run them in UAE automatically if started from Ambient, but that needs some more work. Easier to get things going now is to just start them inside UAE.

[ Edited by jPV 15.06.2014 - 08:24 ]
  • »15.06.14 - 09:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    OS3.x installer fails to copy installer to target system. Manually copy it from install disk to f.ex. C: of the 3.x system.
  • »15.06.14 - 18:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Jambalah
    @WeiXing3D:
    I guess it should be better a little html tutorial (or pdf) with images and all aspects of e-uae installation, AmigaOS installation and configuration specific for run games whdload. I would remember to all that there is a full and really well done guide on Obligement website from which I often go to a repetita iuvant. I know that Google translate is horrible but it can help to remember e-uae configuration quickly. I have to thank Papiosaur too who made the thing easier suggesting to mount hdf partition with the tools inside MorphOS (FileImageCtrl and Mounter). In this way one avoids to start e-uae and workbench to modify-insert- files inside hdf partition. How I missed this? =)
    Inside this tuto should be included the iGame launcher and some Ambient e-uae mime configuration (Obligement has yet though they are for adf) to start whdload directly from ambient. Without forgetting a startup-sequence modification inside AmigaOS 3.x so to load directly the game without loading everything/Workbench.
    I could be able to do in the next days but I can't guarantee to do a work in a brief time (so much to do...) but it's a nice idea.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »15.06.14 - 19:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    @jambalah Thank you for your time assisting with us any future efforts you put into this project. It be nice to see MorphOS having a straight forward implementation of E-UAE and WHDLoad, which is perhaps is the only thing that I find better in OS4. Other than this, head to toes MOS is the best of the NG Amiga OS.
    MacMini G4 1.5GHz with MorphOS 3.9 FPGA MiST w/AmigaOS 3.9 (PFS3), FPGA Replay w/AmigaOS3.9, Amiga 1200 SCSI CD-RW, X-SURF 100 w/Rapidroad USB, External FDD with Chinon and Gotek units and Acer Aspire One ICAROS
  • »15.06.14 - 19:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Papisaur

Naturally. Cloanto pays Amiga Inc. for the license and resell them in their Amiga Forever product. They can't give it away for free.

How about you include all the settings needed for Amiga Forever roms? So all you need to do is buy a copy of Amiga Forever and copy the roms "as is" to it's destination and then, presto, it will work for the end user. As it is now there is a lot of tweaking before getting it to work.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.06.14 - 00:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    @papiosaur or do as they do with Icaros (AROS distro), in which you use the Amiga Forever CD to automatically run an integrated version of Amiga Workbench 3.x in emulated mode.
  • »16.06.14 - 01:19
    Cool_amigaN
    Hi! I've did some major breakthroughs yesterday.

My final goal is to be able to run WHDLoad via iGame on Ambient.

Some of the comments on this tread inspired me to make the following steps (please read carefully and tell me what I do wrong at the end):

1) I 've setup 3.9 on a blank HDF on WinUAE
    2) I've installed WHLoad on 3.9
    3) I've mounted a folder (named it "aos") on WinUAE and dumped the contents of the HDF
    4) Copied the folder to MorphOS at SYS:Emulation/E-UAE/HardDisks/aos
    5) Renamed to kick.rom the working 3.1 rom and copied to SYS:Emulation/E-UAE/roms
    6) Edited the .uaerc file and commented the path to the corresponding HardDisk and to the rom

Doubled clicked the e-uae executable et voila! I booted on the 3.9 environment!

Then I played with rhLauncher for while and I've setup successfully as well a A500 config (btw been able to play 100% full speed SWIV on windowed mode only with overlay mode enabled).

Now comes the tricky part (though it shouldn't be..):

1) I've downloaded UAELoad from aminet as suggested
    2) Unpack to RAM: and copied "whdload" from C/ to C:
    3) Edited the uaeload config to point on the e-uae executable (SYS:Emualtion/E-UAE/e-uae)
    4) Edited the ueaload config to point on the valid e-uae config (SYS:Emulation/E-UAE/.uaerc)
    5) Copied the edited uaeload config to ENV: and ENVARC:
    6) Copied the modified startup sequence from the "Bonus" directory to my "aos" HardDisk while backing up the old one

To this point I double checked if my 3.9 would load under the new start-up sequence, which it did!

Then, I downloaded iGame, copied some WHDLoad games on my MorphOS, set the appropriate repository, iGame scanned the folder and recognized the slaves. Double clicked one (it was Agony ofc;) ) and I got the following error:

UAELoad can't find a shared path to launch the slave from within E-UAE. Please make sure you have setup filesystems properly.

The I took the following steps but nothing worked:
    1) Initially I checked if the uaeload pointed to the correct config by making to look elsewhere. When I doubled clicked Agony's slave again I got a different error "Can't find E-UAE config" (or something similar).

2)Because I didn't knew if the format of .uaerc file was recognizable I made a copy of it and renamed as 1.conf. I edited uaeload again to point to SYS:Emulation/E-UAE/1.conf but I got the same error.

What do I miss?

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 18.06.2014 - 10:23 ]
  • »18.06.14 - 11:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I [...] copied some WHDLoad games on my MorphOS, set the appropriate
    > repository, iGame scanned the folder and recognized the slaves. Double
    > clicked one [...] and I got the following error:
    > UAELoad can't find a shared path to launch the slave from within E-UAE.
    > Please make sure you have setup filesystems properly.
    > [...]
    > What do I miss?

Have you made the directories the slaves and the WHDLoad executable reside in accessible from within UAE, i.e. entered into the UAE config as filesystems?
  • »18.06.14 - 15:49
    Cool_amigaN
    @Andreas_Wolf

Please explain me in detail and step by step what do you mean, because I can't understand it.
  • »18.06.14 - 15:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Please explain me in detail and step by step what do you mean, because I
    > can't understand it.

I mean what's shown in postings #17, #24, #30, #36, #38, #39, #40 and #41 in this thread. It's the lines that start with "filesystem=rw".
  • »18.06.14 - 15:58