First X1000 benchmark revealed
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    Fab Alchimie video show that the Morphos Team plan first to migrate to 64bit via a VM. The G5 might have been used as a proof of concept...
    Then they'll move to X86-64 or ARM, knowing that their ressources are not unlimited they should focus on that instead of a G5 port. But of course it's their call.

Kamel
  • »06.02.12 - 12:00
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

..and I badly do not want an iMac or other Apple all-in-one box on my desk! Maybe it's a good solution for most people, but personally for desktop computing I prefer a classic tower case where I can put hands to upgrade or add components.

Miky060, well you must be happy with MorphOS' PowerMac G4 support ("NVIDIA GeForce2 MX and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX/Titanium cards found in some PowerMac3,x models are not supported. Also, audio is currently only supported for PowerMac3,4 to 3,6 models").
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »06.02.12 - 13:52
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

Fab Alchimie video show that the Morphos Team plan first to migrate to 64bit via a VM. The G5 might have been used as a proof of concept...
    Then they'll move to X86-64 or ARM, knowing that their ressources are not unlimited they should focus on that instead of a G5 port. But of course it's their call.

Kamel, oh that's interesting. I think that's right, that they do not have extensive resources in terms of being able to throw a coding sub-team at this or that model for target hardware. So they should take the "short jumps," i.e. add an additional PowerMac variant here, and an additional eMac variant there.

MorphOS made the decision long ago to try to survive on second-hand Apple Mac PPC hardware, and it seems to be working okay, so I don't think I'm proposing anything strange: just expand the range. The Team can still have a long-term plan for new hardware of some kind.

As for this X1000, good for its marketers and the whole OS4 crowd. I saw an unboxing and power up video from someone in USA who received one. It booted right up. I don't know anything about its compatibility and stability beyond that, what can one actually do with it, but I can see the specs are high high high. Unfortunately so's the pricing I've heard floated from more than one source. Maybe it'll come down if the machine is successful.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »06.02.12 - 14:07
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    The original Amiga 1000 was revolutionary. The X1000 is not so I see no reason to buy it. Even back then I waited for the A500 cause I couldn't afford the A1000.

Kamel
  • »06.02.12 - 15:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    The funny thing is that we still keep talking about new HW, porting for G5, other solutions.. Meaby we should start enjoying that what we have and try to focus on new software?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »06.02.12 - 19:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    pampers,
    Quote:

The funny thing is that we still keep talking about new HW, porting for G5, other solutions.. Meaby we should start enjoying that what we have and try to focus on new software?

Certainly, its been made easier with recent documentation and revamped development tools.
    And the direction I've been advocating doesn't abandon older platforms or software.
    I'm VERY happy with what I've been given.
    And eventually we'll have Powerbook support, SATA and SCSI support for Macs, and maybe even 3D support for the R300.
    Its been good. It will be good.

I'm not going to question the development team. They've made exactly the right choices and I have faith that they will continue to do so.

Thanks guys.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.02.12 - 19:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    kamelito,
    Quote:

Kamel

I could be completely wrong, but I think getting MorphOS ported to the G5 will be hundreds of times easier than switching to x86 and/or ARM. Optimizing MorphOS to take advantage of the differences between the G4 and the G5 will take more work, but still far less than the switch to any different architecture. I still think supporting the G5 should be completed after support for the G4 PowerBook's is finished and optimized, and before trying to move to x86, or ARM. G5 PowerMac's and iMac's continue to go down in price and for MorphOS use provide terrific price to performance ratio.

Of course I am biased because I already own my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac and love it. I have not booted by quad core 3.0GHz Windows PC since October of last year and now use my G4 & G5 Mac's for everything, with MacOSX, or MorphOS.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.02.12 - 21:01
    stephen_robinson
    Is that a PCI-Express one?
  • »06.02.12 - 21:08
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    pampers,
    Quote:

Precisely. My thoughts are that the MorphOS developers have the OS going on quite well. Version 3 is looking to be a great one. We have plenty of real good and affordable hardware to choose from. There is the try before you buy option. For a closed source OS, this is an OS for the people in my opinion. It's all come into place quite nicely. So....the focus on new software is key right now. With a low entry cost I would expect more developers to come into play at some point. Once that happens, many of the missing software pieces people want should come and in faster fashion. This is a nice stable platform. It will only get better.

[ Edited by Rodomoc 06.02.2012 - 15:42 ]
  • »06.02.12 - 21:40
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    Sure we should enjoy now but I'm waiting for Morphos 3.0 I only have a PB
    Kamel
  • »07.02.12 - 08:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @stephen_robinson,

No, it is the fastest and last of the AGP G5 PowerMac's.

Still very usable for most things today, even though it is over 5 years old.

I agree with pampers, we need to concentrate more on getting software written and worry less about what will be the next hardware to be ported to by the MorphOS Dev. Team.

They have given us a better SDK not that long ago and they will likely continue to improve the tools for writing software for MorphOS.

[ Edited by amigadave 07.02.2012 - 22:47 ]
  • »08.02.12 - 03:36
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    amigadave,
    Quote:

I agree with pampers, we need to concentrate more on getting software written and worry less about what will be the next hardware to be ported to by the MorphOS Dev. Team.

Exactly.

amigadave,
    They have given us a better SDK not that long ago and they will likely continue to improve the tools for writing software for MorphOS.

A very good point.

---

Like everyone else I remain very curious about 3.0 and what it will entail. I have heard about the minor improvements, the PowerBook support at a fairly complete level, possible file system improvements, Grunch package manager, and perhaps new or improved 3rd party video support at the accelerated 2d/3d level. So more hardware, more good core features, and the important minor improvements that will make the whole OS better. I was ready to pull the trigger on an MDD or FW800 machine but think I will wait to learn more about the Powerbook support when 3.0 comes out. Laptop support is huge for me due to my mobility. Despite lack of certain 'nice to have' applications, in practice a Morph3 Laptop would actually handle 75% of my personal computing tasks in a high quality fashion. My actual day to day tasks are not real dramatic in nature.
  • »08.02.12 - 14:47
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Andreas_Wolf
      > perhaps new or improved 3rd party video support at the accelerated 2d/3d level

Why "3rd party"?
    • »08.02.12 - 16:28
    • Butterfly
      Butterfly
      by 3rd party I guess I was intending ATI based video cards or chipsets. Obviously the 9700 would be coming into play because of the powerbook. I wonder about improved support for the 9600's (emac). Etc... At any rate, MOS developers seem to be doing great and I eagerly await 3.0 like everyone else.
    • »08.02.12 - 17:25
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Andreas_Wolf
      > by 3rd party I guess I was intending ATI based video cards or chipsets.

So I guess that "1st party" would be a GPU developed by the MorphOS Team then ;-)
    • »08.02.12 - 17:45
    • Butterfly
      Butterfly
      ehm.. you have a point there Andreas. Sorry for the bad terminology, am still weaning myself from 68K based thinking.
    • »08.02.12 - 18:05
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      amigadave
      @takemehomegrandma,

Quote:

Based on the communications I have seen from the MorphOS Team on this issue, a migration to a different architecture (x86 or ARM) seems more probable than G5 support...

Care to provide some links to this information?
    • »09.02.12 - 07:01