Papyrus, Finalwriter and LyX
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    TimKack
    I am one of those guys who write a lot text and documents.
    For a while I used FinalWriter (American/english version), but
    unfortunally most of the texts I write are in Swedish.
    I will buy a swedish version. There are only one problem:
    My main focus of a wordprocessor is content and
    structure - not layout.

When Papyrus are ready, many people finally have a recent
    and decent officesuite. But my problem still persists, I need
    structure and almost every office application, regardsless of platform is about design and layout.

So highest in my christmas wish-list is an annoncement on
    MDC that Latex, Tex and most important; LyX are being ported to MorphOS :-)

If I knew C and had some time, I would do it myself...
  • »03.12.03 - 10:35
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Quote:

When Papyrus are ready, many people finally have a recent
    and decent officesuite.

Umm, depends on what you want. I've got the Mac version. I do like it but ... when it comes to international writing, it's particularly bad ATM. I'm writing a request for better int'l support these days. The new Nisus Writer Express seems to be much better in this regard (haven't tried it yet though). It's a pity, Papyrus is a clever and amazing little program. They did lots of things right that always annoyed me in Word. Pity they messed up int'l writing so much.

Quote:

So highest in my christmas wish-list is an annoncement on
    MDC that Latex, Tex and most important; LyX are being ported to MorphOS

I did port a full and recent TeX environment including LaTeX, pdfTeX and all that some time ago, but it's on my old Amiga's harddisk :-( However I think a more or less recent version of TeX/LaTeX should be included in the GeekGadgets archive ...

As for LyX, it uses the QT toolkit. I guess it will take some effort to port it.

One thing I've been working on is an editor which is a bit similar in idea to Lyx, however since this is mostly for my own use I target creative writing and literate programming (integrated in CodeWarrior) only ATM. Esp. no plans for WYSIWYG tables and formulas. It does not have a trunkload of features, but what's there are some novel ideas not found in any other WP/editor yet. It's written with Cocoa though, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to port it to MOS due to the lack of a decent textedit MCC for MUI ... which I'd love to write but don't have the time :-(
  • »03.12.03 - 19:26
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    TimKack
    LyX seems to be moving in the direction of gui toolkit independent. From the beginning it was based on Xforms (And also the version I am running) but work are on the way with GTK and GNOME. I wonder if it is difficult making it MUI?
    Well well, time will tell.
    If I just could figure out how to force FinalWriter finalwriter to open on a screen specified by me. I need to change the colors (0-16). Any clues?
  • »05.12.03 - 13:32