Gallium 3D
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I've just noticed that AROS has an ongoing project (and bounty) to port Gallium 3D, which seems to be progressiing very well.

Gallium 3D is a graphics library said to provide "unified API exposing standard hardware functions such as shader units found on modern hardware", and it happens to work, to some extent, with ATi, nVidia, Intel and even CELL hardware.

Can it be of any use to us?
  • »22.10.09 - 08:28
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Although using Radeon cards is fine it may be quite useful for future Mac ports to support nVidia gfx hardware because sometimes it's soldered and can't be exchanged. I remember that years ago some screenshots of an nvidia card (a TNT2 gfx card IIRC) running on a GRex were published.

On the other hand I don't know if it's easier for BigFoot and FrankMariak to simply look at the nVidia sources and make a proper amiga driver without relying on an alien system.
  • »22.10.09 - 10:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:

it's easier for BigFoot and FrankMariak to simply look at the nVidia sources and make a proper amiga driver

Do those sources really exist? I thought nVidia doesn't disclose information for their products, and only provide some kind of black box ("blob") for Linux people to embed in their drivers. I would be very glad if I was wrong but, if I was, drivers for nVidia cards would have existed since ages.
    I must have misunderstood you, because I know you know this.
  • »22.10.09 - 11:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Wanted to revisit this thread since they just released the "Gallium 3d drivers" for nvidia cards for AROS.. Morph Team is there any interest in porting these drivers so we can use Nvidia cards? Tia
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »09.01.10 - 20:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Then this G4 Powermac with its 256MB nVidia GF6200 card would really ROCK MorphOS :-) The quake 2 FPS would be INSANE. :-)
  • »10.01.10 - 01:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Tronman

LOL. Well, AROS team and Morphos Team used to have a close relationship I'm sure they are cool. However, weren't the Gallium drivers an Aros Bounty? I dont know the terms of the bounty but maybe they wouldnt share source code? Do pega1 and Bigfoot et al even have time for it?
  • »10.01.10 - 04:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Well, don't hold your breath for it. I sure won't start on porting it, at least. Linux MesaGL is heavily tied to the Linux kernel and it's gpu/drm parts and last but not least to the X WIndows system. This is not easily resolved. I'm not actually sure how this is designed inside AROS or if it's any easier to port.
    No, you won't see NVidia support inside MorphOS anytime soon, at least not developed by MorphOS core.
  • »10.01.10 - 12:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    pega-1

Ok. Thanks for posting, maybe some outer dev can work with the sources from AROS or something..
  • »10.01.10 - 19:38
    Profile Visit Website