Drawer Icons
  • Just looking around
    Hi guys,

I have just discovered MorphOS and I think it looks really cool! Its unfortunate that it only runs on a powerpc computer cos I would definitely switch over from windows in an instant. I was just wondering about those amazing drawer icons that Ive seen in screenshots for MorphOS. Is there anyway I can get them on my XP machine? I read that they are only png files, so I guess I could convert them to win icons, but I don't know where to find them on the Web (even if I can). I mean no offense or disrespect by asking this, but I simply want to change my crappy windows gui to look like the morphos one, and if anyone would help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Can I download these drawer png's from anywhere on the Web? I have searched, but cannot find any. If I am being out of line, it is not intentional and I apologise in advance.

Many thanks for your help.
  • »25.09.03 - 09:34
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    The icons are proprietary AFAIK - you can get them if you purchase a Pegasos :-)

I suggest wait till a standalone MorphOS distribution appears (either Pegasos or AmigaPPC) and then purchase it to get them.
  • »25.09.03 - 10:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    aaahh ok. Thanks for your reply!
  • »25.09.03 - 10:14
    hooligan
    I, as a Pegasos owner have the right to cut the drawer-icons from those screenshots and convert them to windows icon format, if I wanted to.
    You do not.. so I advice strongly not to do it

:-D
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.09.03 - 11:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    For the record, it is illegal to change the original icons so they can be used with other Operating Systems. All icons are copyrighted material and may not be altered without permission.

The same is true for window skins, and so on.

It is most certainly not in the interest of the MorphOS development team if users of other Operating Systems misuse copyrighted artwork. If you want to use an OS that looks like MorphOS, buy a Pegasos or apply for a Phreeboard...

-> MorphOS - Get the Real Thing! :-D
  • »25.09.03 - 13:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

For the record, it is illegal to change the original icons so they can be used with other Operating Systems. All icons are copyrighted material and may not be altered without permission.

True, but it depends on the company as to what they plan to do about it.

Were you to copy icons from a public screen shot and use them on Windows I don't know if we'd have much of a case as you may be able to claim "fair use" (but I'm not exactly sure of this).

If you were to use them on a web site or otherwise distribute them we would have a case for copyright infringement.

On the other hand...
    It really all depends on company policy.
    Go to Amiga.org and look at the where it says Join Us for Live Chats!.
    That icon is from BeOS (the NetPositive browser to be precise), you find their icons all over the place, reason being Be had a very open policy and simply didn't care what people did with their icons.

I don't believe we have an official policy for this so I'd err on the side of caution.
  • »25.09.03 - 14:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    i know how you feel, nero120.
    but i kind of like the idea that each OS looks different.
    I have to use windows2000 for certain special software, and i enjoy using linux for other software.

and i'll LOVE it when i can get a pegasos! and i want it to look special and different. because it is!
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »25.09.03 - 14:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Thanks for all the replies guys, and i don't want to breach any copyrights here or offend anyone. Since I can't use the actual morphos drawer icons, can anyone direct me to alternative drawer icons that are similar that I could use?
  • »25.09.03 - 16:16
    hooligan
    @Jobbo

The same is true for window skins, and so on.

It is most certainly not in the interest of the MorphOS development team if users of other Operating Systems misuse copyrighted artwork. If you want to use an OS that looks like MorphOS, buy a Pegasos or apply for a Phreeboard..
    ----------------

Thats what I told, right? No need to repeat things ;-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.09.03 - 17:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    yes, that's what you 'said'. Why are you repeating yourself? Did I repeat myself. Or are even user created icons for morphos part of the copyright, and so if anyone uses anything ever to do with morphos, even remotely, they will be breaching copyright? How does that figure, explain please.

Anyway, all I wanted was to make my own computer look a little like morphos by creating some drawer icons, its not like i was gonna distribute them. I respect any operating system that goes up against windows, but how does it make sense to be all tight-ar*ed and say 'you can't use any of our icons unless you buy our system'? Even apple doesn't do that for crying out loud! Don't expect your lovely looking os to last long if that's the attitude on which it is based. Just my opinion.
  • »26.09.03 - 08:12
  • Targhan
    Well, I think there is a general "personal use" clause in the copyright laws. I am no expert on copyright laws, but I believe the general idea is that the folks working on MorphOS don't want other OS's to benefit from their work.

About MacOS, you're a little mistaken, Apple is quite defensive over Aqua (their "window skin" so to speak). Let's just say I'm glad that I wasn't the guy who uploaded the VisualPrefs skin to the AmiNet that looked simular to Aqua... <shudders>
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »26.09.03 - 08:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ Targhan

Quote:

Well, I think there is a general "personal use" clause in the copyright laws.

Sure. Every Pegasos owner is allowed to make private copies of MorphOS or parts of the OS. No problem whatsoever.

However, the whole situation changes when copyrighted files are being altered in any way...
  • »26.09.03 - 09:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

However, the whole situation changes when copyrighted files are being altered in any way...

Well, I don't think that would be illegal either...

BUT if you distribute those modified versions without permission, distribute them as "made-by-me", then it definitely wouldn't likely be legal...

btw, would it be a good idea having public icon gallery here at MorphZone? (Well, maybe for "members only")

I've made only one png icon this far, for Beneath a Steel Sky, I don't mind if other people use it, convert it to another platform or anything :-)
  • »26.09.03 - 10:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Frostwork
    Hi!

Would probably make sense to remove my icons
    in the download section (almost all of them are based on an icon.preview.jpg from MacOSX)...
    I made some other icons, but Targhan has some
    trouble to receive them by email and
    Christian Rosentreter doesn't answer my emails...

bye
    frostwork
  • »26.09.03 - 10:30
  • ASiegel
    @ Jupp3

Quote:

Well, I don't think that would be illegal
    either...

Well, this issue depends on national law. We would now have to differentiate what countries we are talking about, etc.

Here is a general snippet about copyright law: "A copyright encompasses the _exclusive_ right to: reproduce the work; prepare "derivative works"; distribute copies of the work; perform the work publicly; and display the work publicly."

Quote:

BUT if you distribute those modified versions without permission, distribute them as "made-by-me", then it definitely wouldn't likely be legal...

You do not have to claim "mady-by-me" at all. Simple distribution is already illegal.

Anyway, I am not trying to scare any MorphOS users. This is really just about modifying icons to work on other platforms...
  • »26.09.03 - 11:22
  • Targhan
    Hey Frostwork:

:-( Could you try archiving them in a different format, or maybe even splitting it into two archives? From what I can tell, it's the archive that is causing the trouble on my end.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »26.09.03 - 15:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    This discussion is interesting but I was wondering if the points people are making are correct - so I asked a lawyer :-)

Strictly speaking using the icons is illegal but there is a "fair use" defence.

However, if this is just for *personal use* (no distribution) you wont get sued for it.

So, if you want to make Windows look like MorphOS feel free.

If anyone asks I (Nicholas Blachford, Genesi France) told you.

As for how you get hold of the icons without a copy of MorphOS thats a different question, *cough* screenshot *cough*.
  • »26.09.03 - 16:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Frostwork
    Hi, Targhan!

Yes, no problem!
    But probably not before monday....
    I'll zip or lha them in smaller archives....
    Have a nice weekend!
    bye
    frostwork
  • »26.09.03 - 16:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @frostwork:

Quote:

rouble to receive them by email and
    Christian Rosentreter doesn't answer my emails...

heh... I do!

But it seems you don't receive my answers. Please check your "Spamverdacht" folder of gmx.de, maybe they're just moved there. But I'll send them again now.

tokai
  • »26.09.03 - 17:16
    Profile Visit Website