Screen tearing
  • Just looking around
    Is there a way to set VSYNC in MorphOS to avoid screen tearing? I'm using a CVPPC.
  • »18.05.08 - 19:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    You would be more likely to get an answer (perhaps even a useful one) if you could be a bit more specific what it is that's tearing...

IE; is it 3D or overlay? The CVPPC driver doesn't support doublebuffered overlay, so tearing is inevitable (this could probably get implemented if you motived the right core developers (bigfoot or cyfm I guess (I could probably do it if I had a working A4k as well. :P )))... 3D shouldn't tear with the latest TinyGL AFAIK (though maybe it depends on the app).

- CISC
  • »19.05.08 - 10:25
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    Doublebuffered overlay under CVPPC sounds very interesting. I'm pretty sure that there would be more people interested in it.

So could you give us a hint how to motivate the right core developers? ;)
    I'm sure many would benefit from your help. :)
    3D native drivers would also be very useful under CVPPC.

Thank you for the answer in advance.
  • »19.05.08 - 13:30
  • Just looking around
    I haven't yet tried 3D applications. I was thinking of the windows, when I drag them across the screen they tear. Maybe some do not care about it, but to me it is very annoying.
  • »20.05.08 - 03:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

when I drag them across the screen they tear

Better get used to that.
  • »20.05.08 - 07:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    AFAIR you have A4000. Try to change your skin to something lighter. Also download the latest Ambient without debug and the latest MUI. Disable vector fonts. That should improve the situation a bit.

I have this kind of problems when I use Mos 1.4.5 or AmigaOS4 on my A1200 175MHz.

Such problems don't exist on my A4000T CSPPC with CVPPC.

[ Edited by Sir_Lucas on 2008/5/20 6:41 ]
  • »20.05.08 - 07:40
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Ahhh, ok, now I see what the "problem" is (this is why you always should give as much info as possible in the first post)!

Quote:

Doublebuffered overlay under CVPPC sounds very interesting. I'm pretty sure that there would be more people interested in it.

So could you give us a hint how to motivate the right core developers? ;)
    I'm sure many would benefit from your help. :)
    3D native drivers would also be very useful under CVPPC.

Pizza (and I suppose the relevant working hardware)? ;)

There is a native Permedia2 driver already, though I don't remember if it was included or not (there are some build-issues with it)...

Quote:

AFAIR you have A4000. Try to change your skin to something lighter. Also download the latest Ambient without debug and the latest MUI. Disable vector fonts. That should improve the situation a bit.

There's no need to disable vector fonts (besides, you can't, just change to non-vector ones). Disabling antialiasing instead will do the trick (but will quite often be really ugly at small sizes).

- CISC
  • »20.05.08 - 13:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Overlay doesn't work (BVision) at all. Frogger, mplayer. Tried with varius versions of cgxvideo.library.
  • »20.05.08 - 13:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Sorry for not posting enough info in the first place. I tried a non-debug version of Ambient using the default skin and settings, and MUI 4 beta 20071223. I do not believe it's because my system is slow I'm getting the tearing. Same can be seen on a Windows XP running on my MacBook Pro, but not seen in either Vista or OSX.
  • »20.05.08 - 15:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Overlay doesn't work (BVision) at all. Frogger, mplayer. Tried with varius versions of cgxvideo.library.

Figures. CV/BVPPC never had proper overlay, it was emulated using 3D, and I'm not sure the driver was updated to work with the new 3D system...

I guess this calls for a truckload of pizzas. :P

- CISC
  • »20.05.08 - 19:27
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    Quote:

CISC wrote:
    Quote:

Figures. CV/BVPPC never had proper overlay, it was emulated using 3D, and I'm not sure the driver was updated to work with the new 3D system...

I guess this calls for a truckload of pizzas. :P

- CISC

So there is a version of 3D drivers lying on someone's HDD. ;) As well as a working overlay for CV/BVPPC. So, would it be possible to release the drivers for the old 1.4.5 system? Or maybe I mixed up something.

Here is an evidence of an overlay working on A4000 :)
    http://media.putfile.com/MorphOS-15-aka-20-on-A4000-with-CSPPC-604e-233MHz

:P

[ Edited by Sir_Lucas on 2008/5/20 20:49 ]
  • »20.05.08 - 21:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Afair the BVision/CVisionPPC drivers were never really finished. 2.0 makes those old cards, including Voodoo obsolete anyway, so there's really no point working on these any further imo.
  • »21.05.08 - 07:14
    Profile Visit Website