PCI riser card z 1 na 2 dla Efiki ;)
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    SKOLMAN_MWS
    Hej, szkoda ze o czyms takim podobnym do Efiki odrazu nie pomysleli.

risermm9.jpg

www.allegro.pl/item343355008_pci_riser_card_1_to_2_dla_plyt_epia_mini_itx.html

z tego jedno zlacze by bylo AGP tak jak jest, a drugie standardowe PCI :-)
  • »11.04.08 - 03:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    A myslisz, ze takie cus zadziala? Riserow tego typu jest wiele. Swego czasu byla nawet dyskusja nad ta kwestia, w ktorej, o ile sie nie myle, udzielal sie Neko. Podal nawet chyba jakie wymagania powinien taki riser spełniac. Swoja droga - mysle, ze tu mamy pole do popisu dla Ami-firm (może Elbox by się zainteresowal?) - kanapkowanie Efiki to ciekawa opcja. Tylko uzytkownikow za malo, zdaje sie.

EDIT: Cholerne polskie krzaki :(
  • »11.04.08 - 09:02
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sorry, i cannot post in polish since i dont know how.

That model of double pci riser is suppossed to work with the efika?

Thank you in advance
  • »15.04.08 - 00:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    I don't think so. Skolman has presented this photo probably just to show what type of riser we all would welcome. Here's a translation of hist post:

"Hey, it's a pity that somebody hasn't thought about such a riser for an Efika in the first place"

And, quoting the Gentoo Efika wiki:

Do not use riser cards designed for ITX boards even if they claim to be "active" - they actually use some questionable logic on-board to derive and split interrupt signals over multiple cards.

But... well... Maybe Skolman has something to add?
  • »15.04.08 - 05:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    There has been quite a bit of talk about adding PCI slots to the Efika 5200B, but people lost interest a year ago, and I've never seen a sucessful report about it. Just like adding a second IDE device, it looked doable, although dangerous, and nobody has done it.
    The Efika 5200 is enough computer the way it is, moreso when Genesi has just announced a FOURTH new computer! It's based in the forthcoming MPC5123, which is similar to the MPC5121e.
    Given that, Genesi is working on FIVE computers, being four of them brand new. Impressive or what? That's enough to keep busy every hardware junkie!
  • »15.04.08 - 08:31
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

The Efika 5200 is enough computer the way it is

Maybe for you, but i will welcome a dual pci solution which will enable me to have a radeon pci gfx card and a pci scsi card, in order to avoid the slowness of the onboard ide.

I know that efika is meant to be little and cute, but since my efika will ONLY run MOS and in the case i made there are enuff space for the cards, i will welcome a pci scsi card on it.

Moreover, as time goes by, i became less and less interested in hardware world as long as it doesnt run MorphOS.

[ Edited by FrankBrana on 2008/4/15 12:04 ]
  • »15.04.08 - 14:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

FrankBrana wrote:

enable me to have a radeon pci gfx card and a pci scsi card, in order to avoid the slowness of the onboard ide.

There's no sense in plugging an accesory that is so much faster than the CPU that it would be underused.
    What is that application that needs such a fast storage option? Is the on-chip IDE that slow really? Are there benchmarks somewhere?

Quote:

my efika will ONLY run MOS

That's a reasonable choice. I would also like that. But, if I have a need, and MorphOS is not available, the need is not fullfilled. Enter different choices... But it's true, we all like MorphOS best.

Does that mean that you have some form of MorphOS running on your Efika?

Quote:

I became less and less interested in hardware world as long as it doesnt run MorphOS.

Then, you are missing a lot of interesting solutions. This doesn't sound reasonable to me. For example, waiting ages for an old computer to run the operating system you want might give enough time for a completely different solution for your needs, and you would miss it.
    Let's hope that MorphOS 2.0 can run on all the new Efikas: 8610, 5121e and 5123! In theory, Genesi's BIOS "Aura" (previouly know as "SmartFirmware") should allow exactly that. But I suspect that MorphOS does not use much of the BIOS functions on a Pegasos (never confirmed, though)... This might lead in more tasks to fulfill when switching to another platform.
    What a pity that we can't know what's going on behind the scenes of the operating system we love!
  • »15.04.08 - 15:05
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Firstly, i would like to excuse myself for filling this nice polish thread with english posts, again.

Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:

There's no sense in plugging an accesory that is so much faster than the CPU that it would be underused.
    What is that application that needs such a fast storage option? Is the on-chip IDE that slow really? Are there benchmarks somewhere?

Maybe it will be underused, but for the price of an -already MOS supported- scsi card, i would like to have all the speed the scsi chip would be able to deliver on the efika, instead of the slowness of the onboard IDE, that AFAIK, is like PIO 0 specs.

In fact, i already have the scsi card and a few scsi HDs unused.

Also, as nice side effect, the scsi would let free the cpu of the ide transfers. Maybe thats only a little cpu of time, but talking of the efika?s cpu power...the more the merrier.

Quote:

Does that mean that you have some form of MorphOS running on your Efika?

No.

Quote:

Then, you are missing a lot of interesting solutions. This doesn't sound reasonable to me.

What might or might not sound reasonable for you, its not my business.

Otherwise, its up to me if i want to wait over my whole life.

Quote:

For example, waiting ages for an old computer to run the operating system you want might give enough time for a completely different solution for your needs, and you would miss it.

Maybe, but, FMPOV, almost all OSes outthere are going *NIX way, what i deeply dislike. And yes, since i dont use computers to put bread on my table, i will stick with the option i like the most, which is MorphOS.

This is a very little community and even smaller its developer group, so things happens slowly, which, is fine for me.

Having various Pegasos and even PUP systems, so the time MOS2.0 take to get finished, is not that critical for me. And yes, all of them are running the last public version which is 1.4.5 plus updates. Im quite happy with MOS 1.4.

Quote:

Let's hope that MorphOS 2.0 can run on all the new Efikas: 8610, 5121e and 5123! In theory, Genesi's BIOS "Aura" (previouly know as "SmartFirmware") should allow exactly that.

I will pray to the lord for that, but for the moment, i will concentrate myself in the platforms that already runs it, like efika.
  • »15.04.08 - 16:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Okay, so i'm going bilingual now :)

PL: Czekamy na Ami-firmy. Wiemy, ze jest w nich wielu zdolnych inzynierow, ktorzy potrafia wiele wycisnac z malo rozbudowalnego sprzetu. Elbox? Ktokolwiek? Dajmy im jakis sygnal, moze kogos da sie zainteresowac?

ENG: So now we're waiting for Ami-companies (hmm... that sounds pretty stupid translated as-is) to show up. We all know that there's a lot of talented engineers out there, capable of pulling very much out of so unupgradable hardware. Eblox? Anyone? Let's give them a sign, maybe we could attract someone?
  • »16.04.08 - 05:24