need help in Norwegian
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Hi guyz, I'm very sorry to use this topic to ask you a little help with a translation, but a friend of mine post me this sentence (she doesn't understand Norwegian) but I'm just starting to study Norwegian language and I think that maybe there are errors in the sentence or maybe it's a sort of slang because some words I can't find in my vocabulary. The sentence is that:

Hej natt suddare, jag har sett att det ska bli fyrverkeri idag tror jag

I think maybe "jag" is for jeg but "idag"? or "suddare"?
    Could someone translate that in english? pls :(
  • »01.12.07 - 18:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Hi guyz, I'm very sorry to use this topic to ask you a little help with a translation, but a friend of mine post me this sentence (she doesn't understand Norwegian) but I'm just starting to study Norwegian language and I think that maybe there are errors in the sentence or maybe it's a sort of slang because some words I can't find in my vocabulary.

It's because it's the norwegian slang known as swedish. ;)

- CISC
  • »02.12.07 - 04:36
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
    THANX CISC!!!!!!!
    I'm very happy because I'm starting to learn norwegian and though that I was thinking that was a weird norwegian sentence. Can I ask you if norwegian people can understand swedish as usually or is just as for italians and spanish people? :)))))))
  • »02.12.07 - 07:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    ... and could you understand the meaning of that sentence? Could you translate it in english and write it in norwegian too? I'm sorry for all my question ;))))
    please forgive me but I love so much Norway and so I'm so curious about its nice language :-D
  • »02.12.07 - 07:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    ok, here we go :D

"Hej natt suddare, jag har sett att det ska bli fyrverkeri idag tror jag"

Some wrong words here to correct first.
    Hej or Hei. but suddare is not a norwegian word don't know what it means. but here's the rest.

"Hei natt kompis, jeg har sett at det skal bli fyverkeri i dag tror jeg.

"Hi night friend, i have seen that there is fireworks today i think.

thats a rought sentence.
    btw about swedish, we do understand swedish. but swedish slang is harder, like suddare.
    found a sentence with that word used. but could't find out it meaning, here.: "Fler suddare i kv?ll???"
    thats pure bred swedish.
    :D

X
  • »02.12.07 - 08:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    lordborak
    I'm swedish..

'nattsuddare' refers to a person that it staying awake late at night. I suppose a similar word in english is 'nightowl'.
    So my translation would be:
    'Hello nightowl, I've seen that it will be fireworks today I think'.
  • »02.12.07 - 10:08
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Hei guyz, you are all fantastic for help!!!! :)))
    (takk, dere er fantastisk! hehehe)
    I'm just ask myself how could be that sentence in icelandic! :)))))
    When I spent a week in Oslo I was enchated by the sweet sound of norwegian language.
    Ha det! :-D
  • »02.12.07 - 12:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

I'm just ask myself how could be that sentence in icelandic! :)))))

That's easy, just add "ur" at the end of each word...

"Hejur nattursuddarur, jagur harur settur attur detur skallur bliur fyrverkeriur idagur trorur jagur"

:-P ;-)
  • »02.12.07 - 19:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

norwegian people can understand swedish as usually or is just as for italians and spanish people?

That's not fair :-) When you italians detect that you are talking to us spanish speakers, you "switch" to some kind of "spanitized italian" that makes us hopefully believe that spaniards do understand italian.
    I've tried to grasp words out of an ordinary talk between two italians, and was able to understand almost nothing!
    But what's very clear to me is that spaniards and italians do really make efforts to geet understood. That doesn't happen with every nationality. For example, english speakers tend to believe that their language is the only one existing in the planet, and so don't make the slightest effort to learn a foreign language. I've seen many cases of (specially brithsh) people who have spent years in Spain, and happily live with just two or three sentences in spanish. That can be quite offensive.
  • »03.12.07 - 07:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    When you have learned some norwegian and you would have heard it
    spoken you would understand...

Also remember all the different dialects in Norway :)

Cool, and good luck :)

Any other question, please ask.
  • »03.12.07 - 09:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    Easiest way to learn Norwegian is to watch cartoons, reading Norwegian newspapers and keep with Bokm?l, which is the most spoken dialekt. Its the one that people arround Oslo mostly uses.

I am learning Japaneese by myself. So since I watch lots of Anime I am learning by myself. Mostly if I watch One Piece, Naruto or others that are easy spoken.

You should atleast watch Fl?klypa Gran Prix. This is one of most known Norwegian movies.

:)
  • »03.12.07 - 09:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    fryguy
    @MorphDelf: Indeed Fl?klypa Grand Prix is the shit. I'm glad i bought the dvd early, as the newer dvdrelease of it in Sweden doesn't have the original Norweigan Audio track.
  • »03.12.07 - 15:02
  • Just looking around
    mikeri
    If you're learning Japanese from anime, then good luck. You'll end up sounding like a total idiot. Not that I know japanese, but I can clearly hear the difference from "anime japanese" to "movie japanese". And japanese people say the latter represents the real thing.

Learning a language as an adult by watching cartoons is an extremely bad idea.

And no, Bokm?l is not a dialect, but a written form of Norwegian. (Nynorsk is another one.) Bokm?l is spoken/written in large parts of the country, across many dialects. Again, it is *not* a dialect in itself.

If you want to name a written form as a dialect, Bokm?l's precursor Riksm?l, wich is a lot stricter in regards of both pronunciation and spelling, is a better choice. But Riksm?l is regarded as somewhat upper class-ish, the kind of language that is spoken mostly by old people in higher class areas around Oslo.

And about people with english as their first language not bothering to learn other languages; what's the problem? Everyone knows english these days. And if you don't, go learn it, for christ' sake. It's the people that don't bother learning english that represents language barriers.

Gah.
  • »03.12.07 - 15:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    animal
    du h?rer ikke norsk sp?k i oslo du h?rer tyrkisk, pakistansk eller asiatisk.
    er ikke noen som prater norsk i oslo:P
    det er jo en mulitkulturel by

nei da bare tuller :) bare m?tte reagere p? den komentaren

--

You dont hear Norwegian in Oslo you hear turkis, pakisanish (?) og Asian.
    No one speeks Norwegian in oslo :P
    oslo is a multi-culture city

Just kidding, just had to reply to that statment.
  • »03.12.07 - 19:35
  • Just looking around
    mikeri
    You just "had to" reply? Honestly I don't get it. The reply, or the point of it, that is. So, I can't think of any thing really smart to say about your borderline racist blurb, but here goes.

Anyway, by turkis I assume you mean Turkish. And by pakistanish you mean Pakistani? Urdu, perhaps? (the most common language in Pakistan. There is no language called Pakistani.) Asian? What kind of language is that? Fyi, Chinese alone is "a" language (more like a group) consisting of several mutually unintelligible ones.

Ah, ignorance is bliss.

Oslo, a multicultural city? By Norwegian scale, sure. Have you ever been to London? Less than 60% of the population there are ethnic natives. I can assure you, people who visit Oslo hear a lot more "true" (accent-free) Norwegian than what visitors in London hear of British English.

In Oslo these days, you're more likely to hear polish than middle eastern languages, as a large part of the workforce in the construction industry is from Poland (and some other eastern european contries). The majority of the more exotic immigrants have, unlike the polacks, been here for long enough to have learned the language. The Pakinstanis and Turks I know speak great Norwegian, and write both Norwegian and English better than you do.
  • »03.12.07 - 21:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    So many thanx to all, guyz you are all great!!! I was thinking after I will be a bit sure in my Norsk I will try to talk with Norwegian guyz and girls in Second Life. SL has been very good for my english :))) I hope if I need another help for my norwegian I can disturbe you all again ;)
  • »03.12.07 - 22:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    If you want to learn Japaneese. You should watch anime. Teachers at the universities says so aswell. It`s not the same speed as in real life. Thats why its good to watch for learning Japaneese.

Watching movies is no good if you want to learn Japaneese. They talk to fast. In some anime they talk to fast aswell, but the easier ones makes you learn words quicker and better while you study Japaneese.

Also, if you want to learn a language. You have to got 110% interest in learning it. Or it wont be good ;) like my English or Norwegian. I am not into languages, grammar etc. But I am learning the basics of Japaneese. Love it!
  • »04.12.07 - 08:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    mikeri
    I stand corrected. What I should have said was something about how you shouldn't use cartoons/anime alone when learning languages if you plan to use the lanugage yourself orally. If the main inspiration for learning japanese is to understand anime in its native language, the story is different.
  • »04.12.07 - 15:17
    Profile Visit Website