MorphOS PUP gives me problems...
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    So, now I at least have your attention :-)

For long I have been wanting to run MorphOS on my main machine, as room is somewhat limited, so most of my Amigas unfortunately needs to be in storage :-(

However my main machine is a tower, with A4000 motherboard, CSPPC, Mediator PCI, Voodoo, FastEthernet, etc, so not the ideal setup for MOS.

Anyway, latest MOS supports CV64, so a CV64 was bought, and I have gotten MOS up and running very nicely. Brilliant, problem fixed, I could finally use my main machine with both MOS and OS3.9, without having to use the switch box (since the CV64 has a build-in monitorswitch).

MOS was installed while I was doing a bit of rebuilding, so the Mediator bridge card was taken out at the time when MOS was installed. Guess what.... when the Mediator bridge is inserted, MOS boots, but won't display on the screen. Pull the bridge out, and MOS displays nicely once again. I have removed all entries to anything PCI and Voodoo related, so PCI cards installed shouldn't be a problem for MorphOS, tried with various jumper settings on the bridge card (only three possible ways to alter the config).

This is a total bummer, as it seems to be related to the Zorro bus + Mediator bridge itself, since MOS displays nicely with a CVPPC (which obviously is independent of the zorro bus).

Bottom line, my brilliant masterplan (at least I thought at the time that it was a brilliant plan) turns out to be the opposite, so I'm back to square one.

Anyone has a tip of what to do, other than writing ELBOX about it? I'm guessing the response will be that the problem is in MOS PUP and not in their product.

Maybe some of the programmers of MOS have an idea of what to do or what can cause this kind of behaviour (but no, I won't bin the Mediator :-))?

Well, at least I now know that I need to work harder on getting MOS PUP installed on my A1200T :-)

Thanks in advance.
  • »29.06.07 - 21:48
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    keropi
    I know u gonna hate me Dq, but g-rex rules 8-)
    AmigaZ has a similar setup as yours, try PM him...
    A4000D CS-PPC/G-Rex4000D
    A4000D CS-PPC/Zorro
  • »29.06.07 - 22:57
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    Why should I hate you for saying G-Rex rules??? I already have a A4000/CSPPC/G-Rex, but as mentioned in my first post I haven't got room for it :-(

I'll wait a few days to see if AMIGAZ will reply in this thread, otherwise I'll try to find his contact info.
  • »30.06.07 - 05:57
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    keropi
    Amigaz is extremelly busy this time of year, your best bet would be to send him a PM...
    A4000D CS-PPC/G-Rex4000D
    A4000D CS-PPC/Zorro
  • »30.06.07 - 09:36
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Amigaz
    @Allan

So you had the mediator bridge installed in the Elbox ZIII board when MOS worked?

I had MOS running perfectly with my mediator and using a CV PPC for graphics stuffed in my CS PPC but I never could use any of my ZII network cards because MOS couldn't recognize them....I think the Elboz ZIII board is wired differently
    My Mediator bridge was jumpered 256meg as I was using a Voodoo 3000

Never start working in the marine business, this time of year it consumes your life :o
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    MorphOS PowerUP powered Amiga 4000
    Pegasos II G4 1ghz
    Radeon 8500 128mb
    Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital
    Realtek 2139B 100mbit
  • »01.07.07 - 08:58
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    @AMIGAZ

No, the bridge wasn't installed when I finally got MorphOS booting, only a scandoubler and a CV64 card. MorphOS ran without problems; fast and stable. After plugging in the bridge MorphOS couldn't be loaded at all.

Made some changes so I could either see or hear if MorphOS was loaded, by having it display (obviously) the Ambient screen, as well as starting a MP3 audio file. Everything went fine without the bridge, but nothing happend with the bridge installed. It got to the second boot up, but hangs somewhere before it finishes loading.

Anyway, I have now tested with a CV64/3D instead of the CV64, and now everything works, even with the bridge installed. Have also in the past been able to run MorphOS with a CVPPC with the Mediator bridge installed.

Now I just need to find either a working driver for a X-Surf card, or a new ethernet card that is supported by MorphOS PUP. Maybe if I'm lucky enough I can use a 10 MBit PCI card through OpenPCI under MorphOS. Which network cards did you try with Amigaz??

Thanks for the inputs.
  • »01.07.07 - 12:57
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Amigaz
    Quote:

DoctorQ wrote:
    @AMIGAZ

No, the bridge wasn't installed when I finally got MorphOS booting, only a scandoubler and a CV64 card. MorphOS ran without problems; fast and stable. After plugging in the bridge MorphOS couldn't be loaded at all.

Made some changes so I could either see or hear if MorphOS was loaded, by having it display (obviously) the Ambient screen, as well as starting a MP3 audio file. Everything went fine without the bridge, but nothing happend with the bridge installed. It got to the second boot up, but hangs somewhere before it finishes loading.

Anyway, I have now tested with a CV64/3D instead of the CV64, and now everything works, even with the bridge installed. Have also in the past been able to run MorphOS with a CVPPC with the Mediator bridge installed.

Now I just need to find either a working driver for a X-Surf card, or a new ethernet card that is supported by MorphOS PUP. Maybe if I'm lucky enough I can use a 10 MBit PCI card through OpenPCI under MorphOS. Which network cards did you try with Amigaz??

Thanks for the inputs.

Ahh...it works now! :-)

So the CV64 had a conflict with the Mediator then...

Have only used the X-surf with MOS with the patched Ariadne II driver...I can mail it to you if you want
    Pegasos II G4 1ghz
    Radeon 8500 128mb
    Realtek 2139B 100mbit
  • »01.07.07 - 15:08
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    Please do so, and I will give it a try.

Otherwise I guess I'm in the market for either a Ariadne I or II, so if anyone has one, let me know.
  • »01.07.07 - 15:29
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Amigaz
    Please hand me yer email addy ;)

[ Edited by Amigaz on 2007/7/1 15:54 ]
    Pegasos II G4 1ghz
    Radeon 8500 128mb