ACube and Hyperion announce Strategic Partnership
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Great news for our cousins of AmigaOS 4.0:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3672&order=0#48900

Quote:

Leuven, Belgium and Bassano del Grappa, Italy, 25 March, 2007

Hyperion Entertainment VOF and ACube Systems Srl are pleased to announce that they have entered into a strategic partnership following a recent two day meeting of representatives of both companies in Brussels, Belgium.

Within the framework of the partnership ACube will act as a worldwide distributor of Hyperion's Amiga OS 4.0 operating system for a range of PPC hardware platforms including AmigaOne (MicroA1, SE/XE) and Classic Amiga.

More details regarding the companies strategic partnership will be announced shortly.

Amiga OS 4.0 ? 2001-2007 Hyperion Entertainment VOF, developed under license from Amiga, Inc. Amiga is a registered trademark of Amiga, Inc.

Hyperion Entertainment
    ACube Systems Srl
    Amiga OS 4.0 website
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »25.03.07 - 17:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    I hope that this statement:

Quote:

Within the framework of the partnership ACube will act as a worldwide distributor of Hyperion's Amiga OS 4.0 operating system for a range of PPC hardware platforms

just means that Pegasos and Efika could be included in the number of supported platforms.
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »25.03.07 - 17:19
    guruman
    Hmmm... Yes, it makes sense, an enterprise trying to produce a PPC
    motherboard that supports PPC MoBos from other vendors. It REALLY
    makes sense... :-P

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »25.03.07 - 18:13
    hooligan
    Doesnt this come a few years too late?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.03.07 - 18:48
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Doesnt this come a few years too late?

I would say 6 days to early.
  • »25.03.07 - 19:09
  • Just looking around
    zerohero
    Sadly it does, don't think everyone involved is painfully aware of that?
    Yes, I understand you're giving an honest opinion. Yes, there's still a line between being honest and being rude.
  • »25.03.07 - 19:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Who cares?

(this is a question I do not want to hear an answer for.. because I do not care!)

Next time please post such news to amigans.net or amigaworld.net. Or make Targhan hide "The Bar" from frontpage before you post such completly unrelevant things here which noone cares for.. (ppl who care for read it anyway on amigans.net (great site btw.) or amigaworld.net.)

blup.
  • »25.03.07 - 22:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Tokai

People here DO care and it is relevant news to some of us..

Amigans.net is a nice site, well except for "mikeyc" being there that is..

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »25.03.07 - 22:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

tokai wrote:
    Who cares?

(this is a question I do not want to hear an answer for.. because I do not care!)

Next time please post such news to amigans.net or amigaworld.net. Or make Targhan hide "The Bar" from frontpage before you post such completly unrelevant things here which noone cares for.. (ppl who care for read it anyway on amigans.net (great site btw.) or amigaworld.net.)

blup.

I agree completely
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »26.03.07 - 00:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Quote:

Amigans.net is a nice site, well except for "mikeyc" being there that is..

Well, he happens to be teh administrator of that forum. :-D :-D What's so bad about him anyway?
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »26.03.07 - 01:32
    hooligan
    @Tokai

How can anything in The Bar section be unrelevant.. it is a subforum created exactly for this kind of "off topic" discussion :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »26.03.07 - 04:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    For me it just means that Hyperion finally realized, they can't make any reasonable money on AmigaOS 4. They just thrown the problem away to ACube Systems. I'm still waiting for "we have the licence" news from ACube, still waiting for a show of any working Samantha (running AmigaOS 4 preferrably, or maybe MorphOS ;-) ).
  • »26.03.07 - 05:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    I hope that this statement:

Quote:

Within the framework of the partnership ACube will act as a worldwide distributor of Hyperion's Amiga OS 4.0 operating system for a range of PPC hardware platforms

just means that Pegasos and Efika could be included in the number of supported platforms.

No it doesn't mean that, and it doesn't mean that about the SAM either.

I think this announcement doesn't say a thing about anything. The only one who can hand out OEM licenses to new partners is Amiga Inc, and I don't see them mentioned anywhere. Their interest in doing this has been moot to say the least.

The only implication you can be sure of regarding this announcement, is that Acube will now be a reseller of OS4 for the A1 and PowerUP equipped Amigas (unless of course they can come up with creative interpretations about some of the wordings regarding the stand-alone version of the OS, and find the courage to go through with it).

This announcement was not very exciting really, but maybe an upcoming follow-up announcement will change this?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »26.03.07 - 09:38
  • Just looking around
    zerohero
    @takemehomegrandma

Quote:

The only implication you can be sure of regarding this announcement, is that Acube will now be a reseller of OS4 for the A1 and PowerUP equipped Amigas

Yes, but that's also everything this announcement is supposed to say.
    Yes, I understand you're giving an honest opinion. Yes, there's still a line between being honest and being rude.
  • »26.03.07 - 12:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    all this emptiness is scary sometimes.
  • »26.03.07 - 12:30
  • Targhan
    For Tokai, if too much "garbage" is in the bar, I will, naturally, move it off of the front page.

This topic, however, is something I consider being at least marginally close to "on topic" (even if not fully so) since it is indicating a possiblility of running "that other os" :grin: on the same H/W as MorphOS. I consider that a *good* possibility--as it will provide exposure of MorphOS to people who may not otherwise even try MorphOS. This would also help the OS4 crew (imho), as I fully believe, if given the chance, most "old timers" would run both OS's.

Most importantly, if this is true, it gives Joe User something he really needs--the peace of mind he needs to go PPC (something that was difficult in the A1/Peg1 days, as once you invested in one or the other--you were just kind of stuck on one side of the line or the other) How many people did you meet that wanted PPC but were fearful that if they made a choice that they would have an expensive new doorstop? If we, the community, can have MorphOS, Linux, and OS4 on the same box--BULLY FOR US! It will be difficult for the dev teams, sure--they will have to fight even harder with each other. The users, however, will be the big winners.

With the above said, this is assuming that the said announcement actually means something. It could, as mentioned by some of the users/mod, simply be a statement of "Bob now sells A1's." Which would negate all I've said :-P

[ Edited by Targhan on 2007/3/26 10:43 ]
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »26.03.07 - 16:40
    Profile Visit Website