Motherboard version
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    The latest 68k versions of SFS have some problems under MorphOS. Original releases from Hendrikx (i.e. 1.84) should work just fine...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »22.10.06 - 11:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    Quote:

My A1200 used to do this.

It's because it was a 5 year old board, with a 3 year old PPC card, a 3rd-hand graphics card...

Hardware doesn't last forever. It's probably on it's last legs..

interesting statement indeed!

so my 14 years old A4K here is a sort of "phantom"?

naaaaa! its here, true and up&running with MOS 1.4.5 very, very stable.

Sorry but your attempt to advert a peg, failed (at least today)

Bye :-)

@ the original poster

try the Search function here and you'll get all you need

[ Edited by Framiga on 2006/10/22 12:04 ]
  • »22.10.06 - 12:02
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Adam_K
    I instaled this 1.84 version of SFS on other hard disk (my old one). But when I boot MorphOS from this I can only see a black screen after the first reboot - the same situation as many other users write about. The same is when I tried to instal FFS on this hard disk, what CLS2086 suggested.

But I have 4th relase of MOS PUP.
    Could somebody send me all the "Boot" folder from the rev3? I will be very appreciate.
    My address: adam.-k@epf.pl

On my "first" hard disk where only one particion is for MorphOS system boots normal, after SFS changing to 1.84. Now I'm testing how it will be working (more stable or the same as earlier).

[ Edited by Adam_K on 2006/11/1 20:45 ]
  • »01.11.06 - 17:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    look in the "SYS:Boot/roms/" dir and rename the "module.com1.idehack" to "module.com1".

It should work.
  • »01.11.06 - 19:38
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Adam_K
    I tried this too. Situation was the same.

But now I tried something else what I reedited in a post above. ;)
  • »01.11.06 - 19:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    to be honest, i don't think your freezes have anything to do with the filesystem.

Anyway, try to download and install SFS 1.236 from Aminet.

Your old 1.85 version installed in the RDB, will be replaced anyway by the native one which have an higher version (1.210).

It "could" work (mos will boots/execute the "startup" command which is 68K and then will use the native one) but i've never tryed it personally.

Just sent the module.com.1 via email.
  • »02.11.06 - 15:12
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Amigaz
    I use to have similar freezes in OS3.9 with my A1200T with Mediator
    It was my Voodoo 5500 graphics cards that was dying so there might be a possibility that your graphicscard is dying too
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    MorphOS PowerUP powered Amiga 4000
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Pegasos II G4 1ghz
    Radeon 8500 128mb
    Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital
    Realtek 2139B 100mbit
  • »07.11.06 - 20:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    CLS2086
    @Adam_K : did you try what i said ?
    Keep the Faith !
    VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC-ATEO/1200+1230-IVFPUSCSI/CD32/Pegasos 1 April1 G3/Pegasos 2 G4/ Ahtlon/K6-3/various funny machines too :-)
    Maybe one day a G4 AmigaONE when they will be debugged and without April...
  • »07.11.06 - 21:50
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Adam_K
    Sorry CLS2086 for my delay... Yes I was trying to do what you advised me. As I said few posts above I instaled other hard disk and FFS on it. But I don't know why,
    when I boot MorphOS from this hard disk I can only saw a black screen after the first reboot. The same was when I instaled other version of SFS on this HD. Now I put away this HD.

But I made other tests. I had been installing various versions of SFS on my "normal" HD and I was testing how stable it is. And I must say with some versions of SFS MorphOS seems freezes much more often, with some versions it works more stable...

Now I'm using and testing SFS 1.84 - this version seems to be the best for my machine... MorphOS working now much more stable than with other SFS versions. I will say more after some time, now I must using MorphOS in various situation...
  • »13.11.06 - 22:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @Adam_K

just a small suggestion...

since your system is unstable due to the filesystem used why don't you boot MorphOS from a small SFS1.84 partition with the MOS Kernel and use native PPC SFS for the OS? You can simply change the partition where the OS is located in the Startup-Sequence...
  • »14.11.06 - 08:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:
    why don't you boot MorphOS from a small SFS1.84 partition with the MOS Kernel and use native PPC SFS for the OS? You can simply change the partition where the OS is located in the Startup-Sequence...

I can only conclude that you don't know how filesystem selection works :-/ Two partitions with the _same_ dostype will always use the _same_ fs. Furthermore the OS _always_ selects the highest fs version available for a given dostype and the MOS native SFS version has a higher version number than his 68k SFS version. Thus your suggestions doesn't make sense.
  • »14.11.06 - 08:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Two partitions with the _same_ dostype will always use the _same_ fs.

But they don't have to be the same dostype... ;)

- CISC
  • »14.11.06 - 09:03
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Adam_K
    As I wrote below, I had changed my SFS version to 1.84. My MorphOS had been working much more stable than on other SFS versions. However it was still unstable sometimes and system freezed.

On my other hard disk particions I had been using PFS. So I had an idea that maybe this is the problem. I changed only one of this particion from PFS to SFS (other particions I put away for future). And now MorphOS works stable! At least when it start. Because it freezes only after first system start after turn on, when the MorphOS butterfly logo apears. But than I reset my machine and again it starts without problems and than it works all day without freezes.

It is hard to explain for me why it freezes on this MorphOS logo, and why every day only after first system start...

For example now I writing this post from my MorphOS and it working stable. If I restet my computer now it will boot without problems. But if I turn off my Amiga for an hour, than on the first boot it will freez on system logo...and it will start correct only after one more reset. The same will be when I turn up my Amiga tomorrow.

Could somebody tell my what is the reason of this situation?

[ Edited by Adam_K on 2006/11/30 10:54 ]
  • »30.11.06 - 09:51