Native AROS on Peg bounty
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

AROS is open, and you know what is being implemented, and where it is going. This is not the case of (core) MorphOS.

I don't see how the "where it is going" is more clear for AROS than for MorphOS.

"AROS is a portable and free desktop operating system aiming at being compatible with AmigaOS 3.1, while improving on it in many areas."

There was a big discussion recently on AROS-EXEC.org where some people mentioned that they don't see in AROS developement a team effort with defined goals at the moment but developers coding in all the directions.

For MorphOS, here is my understanding:

MorphOS developpers are still working on the features that were defined as goals for MorphOS 1.5.
    Ralph Schmidt decided not to release the MorphOS 1.5 bootimage until all these goals are reached.

Some developers decided to release beta releases (MUI4, ambient) or to adapt their developments for MorphOS 1.4.X (3D drivers, Reagae) and release them without waiting for MorphOS 1.5.

On the commercial direction it seems that Ralph Schmidt decided to focus on the embedded industry.
    It is clear that as a desktop OS, MorphOS with approx 2000 users is not commercialy viable at the moment.

There seem to be an agreement between Ralph Schmidt and the other MorphOS developers. Ralph is able to use their work and as a counterpart the other developers can build on top of MorphOS and distribute it.

I don't think that they control the bootimage part as far as starting to port it to a new platform on their own.

As for AROS, commercial goals are very uncertain if not nonexistant (which is fine with me).

To be back on topic, yes I am interested in a native AROS on the peg if it can be done without too much difficulty.

However I would prefer to have an AROS native on PowerMacs and I have already donated for the morphos wrapper on AROS PPC bounty.
  • »29.03.06 - 14:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Maybe supporting MorphOS developers via some $$$ might be a better idea?

I am sure that if some MorphOS developers would come with some bounty ideas users would definitely support them.

It already worked.
  • »29.03.06 - 14:10
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

I don't see how the "where it is going" is more clear for AROS than for MorphOS.

People are (openly) talking about their current developments.

No one is openly talking about current MOS development, except for Ambient, of course. But nothing concerning the core MorphOS is known. Maybe because there is nothing to know ?

We know things are ready for ages (Altivec,...) but are still not released. There's no roadmap. No planned dates.

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »29.03.06 - 15:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I have not been on #morphos for a very long time but I know pretty much who is working on what just with hanging around. It is pretty much the same thing for AROS. For example on the AROS chanel I was told who was working on AROS hosted on LinuxPPC while it was not known.

Where are the roadmaps and the planned dates for AROS ?

"No schedule 'n' rocking"
  • »29.03.06 - 17:40
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
    You should see AROS as the way forward since you probobly dont want to run old 1ghz machines very much longer. Its a way of migrating if MOS should fail to make it on more modern hardware. No MOS on EFIKA it seems, which would be the perfect fit. So probobly not OSW eather. I do hope that MOS lives on however.

Most pegasos owners probobly has faster x86 hardware anyway so if Pegasos is of any use for AROS is another question. Maybe Genesi would be interested in AROS on efika since the MOS-team doesnt support it. And pegs as developer platforms.

I wish more developers would open there eyes for AROS and port their work from MOS/AOS so that we can finally bring Amiga-ism to the rest of the world again.

Just my thoughts.
  • »29.03.06 - 18:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

you probobly dont want to run old 1ghz machines very much longer

Quote:

No MOS on EFIKA it seems, which would be the perfect fit.

EFIKA is something like 400MHz.
    Spot the contradiction :-)

[ Edited by Henes on 2006/3/29 19:38 ]
  • »29.03.06 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    ***Resurrection***

For those interested....

Bounty #44 is open for donations

2006-09-10
    Port AROS To Peg2

Objectives

Native port of AROS to the Peg2 platform shall include AROS Core, arosTCP and current arosTCP driver

It's now an AROS bounty, what's it worth? Don't know... the "problem" seems that we have a very nice (Morph)OS for our system and AROS wouldn't benefit us in the first place. On the other hand with AROS there would be an open sourced Amiga like OS for the Peg which could be enhanced by everyone capable of doing so.
    Would adding a 68k emulator and a MOS wrapper make this port usefull, in terms of application support?

Bye

[ Edited by Donar on 2006/9/11 9:24 ]
  • »11.09.06 - 09:23
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Quote:

Again, what's the point in supporting AROS on PPC, when there's already MorphOS. MorphOS' future is not that uncertain as you make it sound like. The only point I can see is pushing AROS application portfolio (on PPC that is) with this (AROS X86 side will remain as unsupported as it is now). I doubt it will get any more attractive for the general user though.

AROS can be seen as the bridge between x86 and PPC
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »11.09.06 - 21:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I think this bounty is a move to attract MorphOS developers. Note that two accompanying bounties are porting MOS apps to AROS (MorphUp and Sputnik namely). I personally think this strategy will fail, but the time will show.
  • »12.09.06 - 07:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    This move is to give some MOS developers a chance to support another Amiga-like OS. They say "Yes, we want do this, but we dont have PC..."

The question is: "why not compile for all five Amiga-like systems? for all Amigans?"

Why only Vice? www.viceteam.org/amigaos.html

[ Edited by FOrest on 2006/9/14 18:05 ]
    FOrest
  • »14.09.06 - 18:43