MorphOS is dead? Long live MorphOS! (Message to all Communit
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    TO THE COMMUNITY:

With BB&RV stating they leave MorphOS to its developers, focusing only on Pegasos Hardware, another chapter of the Amiga-like platforms'story closes.

But another chapter now opens (as we use to say in Naples) ;-).

This fact is not so dramatic as the tragic moments we suffered last days of Commodore Business Machines, and now we are all acclimatized to "jungle of market" and well vaccinated.
    Just let's sit, wait, and see as we did in the past. Or better (if you want so), let's do something useful for the community.

Scenarios?

1) MorphOS could become Open Source and it will become available for different platforms such as Mini-Mac.

2) Users who want it they should pay for it.

3) MorphOS could join AROS and it will definitely complete the distributed programming project, with a very stable and performing environment.

4) With MorphOS developers free of continuing their work by themselves could be FINALLY possible a release for classic amigas with PPC cards (Many persons will pay for it)?

5) MorphOS will join AmigaOS4 team and at least we could re-unificate OSes.

BETTER HARDWARE THAN Minimac, AONE and PEgII WILL COME NEXT. BUT FIRST JUST RE-UNIFICATE BOTH SPLITTED OSeS.

6) MorphOS libraries and devices to improve 1.4.3 are developed and released, such as MUICON and TinyGL. Good programs are still developed and released. I think we could still be positive and aimed to "never give up" politics.

Be positive. Do something useful. Form lines.

If peoples such as Germans, Japanese and Italians, had had given out, after the II World War, they had had collapsed definitely and never again become democracies and MAINLY countries sitting in G8.

They are still here, WE are still here.

We received good examples from our fathers in our history. Let's work hard to survive.

This is true in the "World of Information Technology" too.

Any other ideas? Any project?

Ideas, Comments, critics are welcome.
  • »17.01.05 - 05:07
    hooligan
    Quote:

1) MorphOS could become Open Source and it will become available for different platforms such as Mini-Mac.

Impossible. Too much work from various people for this scenario to be possible.

Quote:

2) Users who want it they should pay for it

This has been discussed till the end. Not a possibility.

Quote:

3) MorphOS could join AROS and it will definitely complete the distributed programming project, with a very stable and performing environment.

This is sorta true already today.

Quote:

4) With MorphOS developers free of continuing their work by themselves could be FINALLY possible a release for classic amigas with PPC cards (Many persons will pay for it)?

And the hell freezes over too.

Quote:

Hell gets a few degrees colder.

Quote:

6) MorphOS libraries and devices to improve 1.4.3 are developed and released, such as MUICON and TinyGL. Good programs are still developed and released. I think we could still be positive and aimed to "never give up" politics.

Bingo!
  • »17.01.05 - 05:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    Quote:

6) MorphOS libraries and devices to improve 1.4.3 are developed and released, such as MUICON and TinyGL.

This is what I think will happen. Today was a good day...another OS4EMU update, Weather, and SDL Libraries. All in one day. What will tomorrow bring? Good stuff I expect. Third party developers will rule the show! :-D :-o 8-D :(o):
  • »17.01.05 - 06:04
  • opi
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    opi
    I wanted to reply, but Hooligan did it for me. ;-D
  • »17.01.05 - 08:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I have no interest for other OS I only want Morphos (if Morphos stops, I will stop Amiga after more than 16 years...). For the things I can't do yet with MOS, I'm using Windows, if I had a Mac, it would have been MacOSX, but never Linux...

No more to say or explain...

[ Edited by LorD on 2005/1/17 10:02 ]
  • »17.01.05 - 08:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    LorD said it.

I want Morphos. And only Morphos. If Morphos is cancelled, my amiga life is over (16 years either).

I bought a ibook to have a spare OS in case of MOS failure.

I am borred of waiting.

Feed our belly :)
  • »17.01.05 - 09:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hooligan: Better check Hell temperature ASAP, according some (multiple sites) rumours.. Amiga.Club tshirts have been delivers to club participiants. :-o
  • »17.01.05 - 09:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ raf_megabyte

"If peoples such as Germans, Japanese and Italians, had had given out, after the II World War, they had had collapsed definitely and never again become democracies and MAINLY countries sitting in G8."

Germany would never ever have had a chance to become what it is now (or was during the last decades) if there would not have been the massive and generous support from the U.S (and other western countries).
    I.e. you need a supporter to become big.

As for your other points, hooligan said enough.
  • »17.01.05 - 09:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Raf_MegaByte

Pardon my ignorance here, but IMHO coders are "only" coders. They
    write code but that alone won't make it a platform, no matter how
    good or interesting the code is. There are lots of technologically
    interesting OS's that are examples of never getting anywhere despite
    their "interesting code". IMHO it takes entrepreneurial work of the
    kind that BBRV *begun* some years ago (and it was a great start IMHO)
    but now seems to have put down to a minimum since a year or so ago.
    Coders are somewhat disposable and replacable in that sense. If one
    goes, another can take his place. The code won't be identical for
    sure; it could be both better or worse, but as long as it does a
    similar job ...

No, it's the entrepreneurs your should cherish, it's them who makes a
    difference, it's them who makes a future platform (of which OS code is
    *a component*, but still only one piece of a big puzzle).

My point is that all your 1-6 points above deals with code and how
    the code should be distributed. But that is not the problem IMHO. The
    problem is that there won't be any active platform building
    entrepreneurs anymore. Genesi will obviously continue to support
    MorphOS, but in a more passive way than before. At least for a
    foreseeable future.

I agree with Hooligan about the rest ...

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2005/1/17 11:52 ]
  • »17.01.05 - 10:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    First thing... I would like to meet the core-MOS devs...because they look like they hiding behide their shadows... we want names, functions, etc...
  • »17.01.05 - 10:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Originally posted by Raf_MegaByte

Quote:

Originally posted by hooligan

5) Hell gets a few degrees colder.

Be positive... :-P

At least Olaf Barthel promised that when OS4 will be finished he will release MOS version of FFS and Roadshow for the benefit of MorphOS users too...

Hope coders from both parts could follow his example of good will.

I think a gentle breeze is blowing and making the Hell a more confortable place. :-D

Sure the "Age of Miracles" yet is no ended at all. ;-)
  • »17.01.05 - 13:32
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    brotheris
    Quote:

At least Olaf Barthel promised that when OS4 will be finished he will release MOS version of FFS

So you are saying that MorphOS doesn't have native FFS ?
  • »17.01.05 - 13:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

brotheris wrote:
    Quote:

At least Olaf Barthel promised that when OS4 will be finished he will release MOS version of FFS and Roadshow

So you are saying that MorphOS doesn't have native FFS ?

We have what looks like a native version of FFS, but I hear its not as good as the current release for OS4 or something. Now getting Roadshow would be a dream come true for all of us! That is the one thing and the only thing in OS4 that has an advantages over MorphOS currently. Just think in 20 years we will have it when they complete OS4 at last. :-D
  • »17.01.05 - 14:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

Impossible. Too much work from various people for this scenario to be possible.

Quote:

2) Users who want it they should pay for it

This has been discussed till the end. Not a possibility.

Quote:

This is sorta true already today.

Quote:

And the hell freezes over too.

Quote:

Hell gets a few degrees colder.

Quote:

Bingo!

:lol:
  • »17.01.05 - 16:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

brotheris wrote: So you are saying that MorphOS doesn't have native FFS ?

Whoops...

I forgot to mention I was talking of FFS2...

...and not of a one generic FFS. :-P

At least seem also that you don't know of this new filesystem.

I think it could be useful for MorphOS also...
  • »17.01.05 - 21:29
    hooligan
    @Elektro

heh you lazy git =)
  • »18.01.05 - 04:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    I forgot to mention I was talking of FFS2...

...and not of a one generic FFS. :-P

I may be really ignorant here, and if so I do apologize. But AFAIK, the point with FFS2 was to make a fully backwards compatible re-implementation in C of the Fast File System that among a few other things supports media greater than 4 GBytes. I don't use the FFS for anything except for the boot partition (which isn't exactly 4GB+ in size ;-)) so I wouldn't know, but I honestly thought that MorphOS had FFS2. At least that is what all the docs say. Would the classic Amiga FFS even work on the Pegasos otherwise, without being reimplemented this way? And it's not listed as emulated, but native. I also remember some arguments on some forum (was it amiga.org?) a *very* long time ago, where some OS4 supporters kind of complained about the fact that FFS2 was mentioned in the first MorphOS feature list that was put online (this was supposed to be an OS4 component only, why are you MorphOS guys using it, this is piracy, etc, etc) but the answer was that the MorphOS guys had licensed this from Olaf himself a long time ago already, probably before Hyperion *even started* the work on their OS. I also almost recall that there actually was some kind of update in the FFS2 area with MorphOS 1.4 (perhaps nothing more than just 2 more dostypes or so, but now I am really in the deep waters and I don't know at all what I am talking about :-)). Anyway, I am actually under impression that MorphOS already have a native FFS2 implementation (from Olaf Barthel). Is this wrong?

I also recall I read some interview with Olaf, where he spoke about the FFS2 and said it was already quite feature complete, but that there is a limit to how much improvement one could make to this old (and actually quite poor, with lots of limitations) file system without braking the backwards compatibility. If I recall correctly he was scetching on a completely new file system, that should use journaling, allow for file names to be longer than 107 characters, permit file names chosen from character sets other than ISO 8859 latin 1 and much improved seek performance, and perhaps also a plugin system for extending the file system functionality (such as for caching and encryption).

A new file system is much needed IMHO. Perhaps this is what you mean?
  • »18.01.05 - 11:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Now getting Roadshow would be a dream come true for all of us! That is the one thing and the only thing in OS4 that has an advantages over MorphOS currently. Just think in 20 years we will have it when they complete OS4 at last. :-D

My experience from networking on the A1/OS4 has not made me very enthusiastic about it. I never got DHCP to really work on my network. Networking works overall quite poorly, with strange problems, etc. I don't know if it has to do with the hardware or the software. It could have lots of explanations, and I have never tried to search for them.

But yes, a PPC native TCP/IP stack like roadshow would be great! That would fill in one of the more serious gaps in the OS IMHO. If he would do that, many people would be really glad!

I could almost donate a Pegasos to him myself (if he doesn't already have one) if he would be prepared to make this an explicit ambition.

:-)
  • »18.01.05 - 11:30
    gunne
    Ram Disk:> version smartfilesystem full
    SmartFilesystem 1.201
    [MorphOS] (Jul 25 2003) © by John Hendrikx, Ralph Schmidt, Emmanuel Lesueur, David Gerber, Marcin Kurek

Ram Disk:> version filesystem full
    filesystem 50.19 (2003-04-27)
    Ram Disk:>

Gunne
  • »18.01.05 - 11:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Gunne

OK thanks! :-)

But while FFS is great for backwards compatibility, it is still quite outdated IMHO. Also SFS leave things to wish for. A new, native "real" file system would be nice! ;-)
  • »18.01.05 - 11:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    First Morphos should be develop. I'm afraid MOSTeam ppl don't know, what they want. And I see, next developers down his mos projects!
  • »18.01.05 - 11:46
    Profile Visit Website