WxWidgets
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    i really think we shoudl have a port of WxWidgets......it would make it really really easy for a lot of software to be ported to MorphOS....
    LINK

it also looks rather portable
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »29.03.04 - 01:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    FLTK would be my first choice since it's much more light-weight. It's probably a good idea to port this before it becomes too bloated as well :)
    A portable widget kit that works on MorphOS as well as X would be really nice to have.
  • »29.03.04 - 01:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    i think WxWidgets would be good simply because MANY pieces of software use it and many of the ones i want use it lol....plus it is more platform independant...(though there is more code).....though i think both of those would be very good to have......but i would poersonaly like WxWidgets first......here are 2 examples of a great piece of software that uses WxWidgets Here and here
  • »29.03.04 - 01:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
  • »29.03.04 - 07:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    I think there is a problem for the moment. The C++ support had been improved recently but I don't know if it's enough to compile big projects.
    And these API (wxWindows and FLTK) seem to only use C++.
  • »29.03.04 - 12:08
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ButterflyKisses
    what would be the bigest problem with the port? and why?
  • »29.03.04 - 12:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »29.03.04 - 12:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    I'm jsut throwing things out there for discussion nothing more......i would love to see everything written using MUI......but i am jsut throwing htings out there to see what other people think.......as to the comment of me porting it....i stick to games......and plus i don't htihnk i have the skil for this one...... :-( ....mabey with more practice....(i am not good with C++, i am a python person and an SDL person particularly)
  • »29.03.04 - 12:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Neko, Poundsmack is not whining. He's just kind of thread creator. He straightly types in what comes to his mind. He just says 'Hey cool, would like to it' but he is not complaining that it's not present.
    I actually know that there are some individuals who are complaining a lot but - hey - don't care too much.
    Poundsmack's threads are just communication, talk. This is what morphzone was created for. Hang in the bar, grab a drink and have a little talk. Everything's fine as long as noone leaves the ways of civilized communication.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »29.03.04 - 12:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    well thank you for the kind words Zylesea :-)
  • »29.03.04 - 12:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Paochi
    :D
    I agree, but it's sure a problem actually. Mui need much more c++ support to easly "remap" othe widgets on its ones.
    Bye
    "I hope that all my toys are, first of all, funny!" (Jay Miner)
  • »29.03.04 - 13:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Btw, when i compiled it, i noticed the support for IFF compressed images. :-D

Perhaps some of the original developers are pre-amigans?

And just as someone wrote earlier, it is heavily c++ , massive use of classes and templates.
  • »29.03.04 - 14:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    Personally I'm not interested in a port because it would make it easier to port application X. I would like a portable widget kit to use in my own applications to save some development time.
  • »29.03.04 - 14:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
  • »29.03.04 - 15:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    I don't care which widget kit is ported to use MUI as long as it's available on X and OSX. Spending 1-2 months rewriting GUI code in an application for MUI is a large investment. I just want a kit that supports MUI, X and OSX from the start. If it is wxWidgets, FLTK, GTK+ or any other doesn't matter as much.
  • »29.03.04 - 15:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Isn't MUI available on Linux ?
    Pegasos PPC
  • »29.03.04 - 15:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    I found some old unmaintained code that I couldn't get to work. It was also missing a lot of components. I think Zune was based on the code I found.
    Anyway, porting MUI to X is not the answer. A widget kit made to be portable should be ported to MorphOS instead. Otherwise you would also have to adapt MUI to OSX and other platforms as well.
  • »29.03.04 - 15:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
  • »29.03.04 - 16:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Wishmaster wrote:
    Isn't MUI available on Linux ?

No :-(
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »29.03.04 - 17:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    yes through WxWidgets you can do increadible things......i would love to see morphos added to the platforms they suport.....i wonder what would happen if we emailed them asking nicely if they would suport MorphOS.....hmmmmm....(runs off to hotmail)
  • »29.03.04 - 21:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
  • »30.03.04 - 07:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Just happened on this thread and it raised some questions for me.
    1) I read that the gcc version on MOS does not support templates and other C++ functions properly, is that true? Some code I use is very heavily templated :-( Was there any communication from the MOS team telling this support will be integrated?
    2) Sounds like a lot of people are willing to help make the wrapper, I doubt the wxwidgets team itself will have time for it. But it is an open source effort, I have no doubt they would welcome an effort.
    And finally a remark. Yes of course it is nicer if apps are written in MUI, but for many cross platform developers having to do that just means there will be no MOS port at all. If it would just be a matter of putting the crosscompiler to a MOS target they might be much more inclined to do ports for MOS and the platforms viability would rise enormously.
  • »24.07.04 - 10:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    Templates are buggy in GCC 2.95. GNU's STL seems to work properly, but forget about Boost or STLPort. We require GCC 3.x in order to have proper template handling but according to what I've heard there are some issues with GCC 3.x on MOS. I hope this will be addressed together with MOS 1.5.
    Hopefully your templates will work with 2.95.
  • »24.07.04 - 11:35
    Profile Visit Website