Some questions about MOS on G5
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    SkulleateR
    Hi there ...

I´m not really new to MorphOS but I had some years without any hardware and I came to some oddities on my newly acquired PowerMac G5 ...

The Hardware here is a PowerMac 7,3 (G5) with a 9600Pro 64MB and an Apple Cinema Display, Ambient is running in 1680x1050 24Bit. Now every time my screensaver gets active, I cannot come back to Ambient, the screen remains black. Same is with E-UAE in Fullscreen ... after quitting out of it with CTRL-ALT-Q I only get a black screen.

I can hear that Ambient is still running for example a radio station with RNO Radio is still playing, also I can blindly klick around and sometimes an app is starting so it seems MOS is still running but I got no display .

Are there some settings I have missed out ? Is this related to the Apple Display (I got no other monitor with DVI so I cannot test) ?
  • »19.09.23 - 22:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    That's quite interesting. Sounds like some possible display sync issue... Does the same happen if opening apps other than EUAE on their own screens?
  • »20.09.23 - 03:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I think blankers open in the same screenmode that Ambient is using, at least with the default settings, so could it still be a display sync issue? Or how does it show the screenmode setting in the blankers prefs?

How about if you try to switch screens with lcommand-m while E-UAE is running? Does it show Ambient? If not, does it show E-UAE again when pressing the key combo again?

Or when you've quitted E-UAE and the screen is blank, press the lcommand-m in that situation?

[ Edited by jPV 20.09.2023 - 09:00 ]
  • »20.09.23 - 06:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

SkulleateR wrote:
    Are there some settings I have missed out ? Is this related to the Apple Display (I got no other monitor with DVI so I cannot test) ?

Cinema Displays can be quite picky when it comes to supported resolutions.
    Does your monitor status light blink when the screen stays blank?
  • »20.09.23 - 11:07
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    SkulleateR
    Quote:

koszer schrieb:
    Cinema Displays can be quite picky when it comes to supported resolutions.
    Does your monitor status light blink when the screen stays blank?

Nope, the light is always on ...

Quote:

jPV schrieb:
    I think blankers open in the same screenmode that Ambient is using, at least with the default settings, so could it still be a display sync issue? Or how does it show the screenmode setting in the blankers prefs?

How about if you try to switch screens with lcommand-m while E-UAE is running? Does it show Ambient? If not, does it show E-UAE again when pressing the key combo again?

Or when you've quitted E-UAE and the screen is blank, press the lcommand-m in that situation?

[ Edited by jPV 20.09.2023 - 09:00 ]

So here comes the funny thing ... I only got three screenmodes, all 1680x1050 in 8/16/24 Bit and all of them are working when I test them. If I change the E-UAE settings to amiga.screen_type=ask and choose one of those modes everything is fine, I can use COMMAND+M to switch to Ambient and quit out of E-UAE without an issue.

If I put it back to CUSTOM it just don´t work. Well I can live with that but I still wonder whats going on there ...
  • »20.09.23 - 11:58
    Kronos
    Quote:

SkulleateR wrote:

So here comes the funny thing ... I only got three screenmodes, all 1680x1050 in 8/16/24 Bit and all of them are working when I test them.

Nothing funny bout that, all Apple display (standalone, iBook, PowerBook and iMac) lack a scaler and will only support their native resolution.

Scaling can be done on the GPU side but that seems to be not supported on your setup.

Bout your problem, do you use an animated screensaver and if yes do you see it? Or is your problem when the timer for deactivating the monitor hits?
  • »20.09.23 - 15:07
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    SkulleateR
    Quote:

Kronos schrieb:
    Bout your problem, do you use an animated screensaver and if yes do you see it? Or is your problem when the timer for deactivating the monitor hits?

I tested quite a few screensaver ... while looking at the preview everything is fine and I can return to Ambient, after setting a time for it and it activates itself, the screensaver will go away leaving a black screen ...
  • »20.09.23 - 15:13