Half-Life Amiga Port in the works
  • Just looking around
    I recently had a conversation with some guy on macrumors who's working on an Amiga port of the Xash3D engine.

Here's his work:
    https://github.com/AmigaPorts/xash3d-fwgs/tree/feature/amiga-support

I have been able to compile his code on PPC OS X but I was unsuccessful in getting the game to run unfortunately.

I was wondering if anyone here could give a MorphOS build a try.
  • »27.08.23 - 14:04
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I'm on it. Compiled and kinda starts but it doesn't get too far:

Could be easier for the MorphOS version a proper support for dll's.
  • »28.08.23 - 08:22
  • Just looking around
    Awesome, care to share your binary?

have you tried running the game in software mode by passing the "-ref soft" flag?
    Btw, I noticed that the mainui source from an older version of Xash (0.19 / 0.19.1) works better with the PPC build of the Xash engine.
  • »29.08.23 - 17:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @the_doc

"Kinda starts" meaning things start to run but it crashes or stops before rendering is done.

Notes:

- A MorphOS port would not work copy-pasting the Ami port as it is (as usual): Just the compiling scripts are different and a mess. Crosscompiling territory only BTW..

- DLL's are a bitch here as all functions exported have to be located and shared on each dll table: A detective work.

I'm using the same dll as Doom3 MOS port or my Warpos Quake engines but the Ami port uses another dll link library that seems incompatible here.

- Ami port at least had some rendering menu on screen AFAIK but here I'm still way behind.

Edit:
    Found that reading the Pak files still fails somewhat: Removing it shows a bare menu of the game similar to the Ami port or the PC port when there's no pak0.pak file.

[ Edited by Cowcat 30.08.2023 - 10:31 ]
  • »30.08.23 - 08:12
  • Just looking around
    There's also this repo btw: https://github.com/thermophylae33/xash3d_ppc

It uses the old pre-FWGS version of the Xash source and I was actually able to get it to boot on my G4 PowerMac running OS X 10.4 Tiger but it crashes a lot - and I mean a lot...
  • »08.09.23 - 19:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @the_doc

Yep. I know about that repo and maybe I'll try that one: The partial endian support is used for the new xash, but functions are different and is a matter of constant trial and error.

The Ami developers will soon restart their thing while I check other issues for this port.
  • »09.09.23 - 08:50