Test on Radeon 9200
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Does anybody have a device with Radeon 9200 and MorphOS 3.18? I need test something on this graphics card but I have only PowerBookG4 (A1138).

I heard some time ago (before MorphOS 3.18) that on Radeon 9200 was one problem in Kheshkhash 2.0 demo. Textures on spiky objects (visible on the YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cM6VD0Xpc in times 2:01 - 2:25 and 4:30 - 4:46) don't look like on the video. I need to check if the problem still exists.

If a user of the config could check how it looks now, I would be happy. :)

The Kheshkhash demo is available on the MorphOS Storage:
    https://www.morphos-storage.net/?id=1840416

[ Edited by MDW 02.09.2023 - 12:25 ]
  • »02.09.23 - 11:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    I can test it later on a peg2 with radeon 9250 MOS 3.18 and latest TinyGL release by Bigfoot.
  • »02.09.23 - 17:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    So I come back to you with results.
    Demo is really superb, graphic and music are hypnotic.
    I was just considering how it runs fluid on my Peg2 in real time rendering and how bad is youtube video due compression algorithm, too heavy for my machine.

Anyway the star is black with one shade of gray for missing reflections.
    Inside the star the is still a colored texture, well visible.

I tested demo twice with and without latest Bigfoot TinyGL release.
    Between two (maybe I have to recheck) there's a slight color difference, with updated TiniGL star color is not black but dark brown or al least it was my impression.
    If you want I can recheck this particular.

EDIT: tested in 1280x720x32 screenmode. Once I switched to 16 bit mode result is slighty different, I can confirm brown star with some shade of brown for reflections but in 16 bit mode there's also some flickering in star arms and at center the visible textures are two or three.

EDIT2: Tested also under Macmini (silent upgrade version) with MOS 3.18 and latest TiniGL updates: result is the same. This time I tested also in window mode and results are the same than a dedicated screen. The visible textures inside the star are three, confirmed. In window mode I notice less fuidity, I think it's normal.

Let me know if you need test a new release.
    Have fun!

[ Edited by Flash 02.09.2023 - 21:10 ]
  • »02.09.23 - 19:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    Anyway the star is black with one shade of gray for missing reflections.
    Inside the star the is still a colored texture, well visible.

Thank you very very much for the test.
    I just wanted to know if texture on the star has reflections. So the problem still exists.

I needed this test not only for the demo. Now I am trying to change gfx-style of a game which I create to more minimalistic/flat. Result of your test helped me make decision about the style. I will not use env-map on some objects. This is not very big problem because don’t want use it. I was looking for a reason of don’t use this feature. :) :) Now I have the reason. I can focus on style without env-map. :)

I am going to think about a fix for the Kheshkhash demo. However not now.
    I a near future I am going to release new version of all demos because contain important fixes (e.g. fixed bug noticed by Alexco), internal modifications, added function for save report to a text file.

Thank you for the test.
    Greetz!
  • »03.09.23 - 10:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    If you're using texture coord generation for that particular scene, then please be aware that fixing this on R200 is something that's still on my to-do list. It will get fixed, but there are a few other things that I need to finish first.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »05.09.23 - 12:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    If you're using texture coord generation for that particular scene, then please be aware that fixing this on R200 is something that's still on my to-do list. It will get fixed, but there are a few other things that I need to finish first.

Yes, this is texture coords generation.
    So... everything is ok. I don't have to do anything and it will be fixed in a future. I should check your TODO list. :)
    Thank you for the info.
  • »06.09.23 - 10:57
    Profile Visit Website