Elusive shortcut ? Menu Snapshot Icons Window All?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Can the Ambient Menu of -> Snapshot > Icons or Windows or All (Files) have any keyboard shortcut(s)? :-?

I have previously set keyboard shortcuts for View> Icons/List - toggling by using Cmd + -, and for quick swapping from the View> Icons / List / All Files / Thumbnails I use Cmd + =, but I just cannot figure out a way to be able to have a keyboard based shortcut to Snapshot the option to retain/save the choice selected for Icons / Window / All (Files) - does anyone know how to do this? 8-)

It used to be possible to enable this option on Amiga OS/WB 3.x with Tools Daemon 2.2 where then I used the RAmiga+] to toggle the option from one to the other, but with Ambient I just cannot find a way to enable it . . . as yet! 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »27.02.23 - 10:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    There are arexx-commands for snapshot und unsnapshot in Ambient. You can write scripts and call them with shortcuts, defined by mmkeyboard (https://www.geit.de/eng_mmkeyboard.html) or with CRABUM (https://igracki.lima-city.de/frames/progs/CRABUM.html).

Example unsnapshot Ambient:

/*
    * $VER: unsnapshot.rexx 1.0 (08.08.2006)
    * synopsis: unsnapshots icon and window positions from all
    * icon files in a given path
    * $Id: unsnapshot.rexx,v 1.2 2013/05/19 21:29:28 tokai Exp $
    */

parse arg path

tmpfile = 't:tmp'

address command 'list >t:tmp quick nohead '||path||#?.info

if(open(f, tmpfile, 'r')) then
    do
    do while(~eof(f))
    line=readln(f)
    if line~='' then do
    address AMBIENT
    'unsnapshot path="'||line||'" icons window'
    end
    end
    close(f)
    address command 'delete >nil: '||tmpfile
    end

----------------
    Ambient documentation:

eg: Snapshot

Command:
    - Snapshot
    Synopsis:
    - Snapshots the icon
    Parameters:
    - PATH: path of the icon to snapshot, if not supplied, path is taken from
    the selected entries in the SRC lister or the selected object
    - ICONS/S: snapshot the icon placement
    - WINDOW/S: snapshot the window placement and size
    - SELECTION/S: if ICON is set, when called from view, only selected icons are snapshot.
    RC:
    - 0: Ok

Docu can be found in Mossys:Ambient/Docs.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »27.02.23 - 11:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Amigaharry2 - I'm not sure I wanted to go through the writing of a script to enable this feature.

Though I did quite simply add a "New Directory" key with the Left Cmd + d to allow me to make New Directories very easily via the Ambient Keyboard input options, by using the "Custom Commands Hotkeys" - "Add a Hotkey" by using the command MakeDir %S which has worked out really nicely, and simple to implement, over the years. 8-)

I'm not sure that the ARexx command Snapshot could be implemented to suit my purposes as it would need to 'toggle' from Icons/Window/All(Files) or maybe I would have to use 3 separate keys on the keyboard to modify its functionality to suit my purposes - that's if the command suggested would be suitable to take on the functionality I intended in the first place. 8-)

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »27.02.23 - 15:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    MakeDir is a dos-command, which you call from Ambient - nothing to do with Ambient itself. But there no such commands for snapshot and unsnapshot (or I have'nt found them till yet in C: or MosSys:c.
    I'm no progger - so maybe anyone else here is able to write such dos-commands, including toggle-feature.

Neverthelss: Arexxcommands can also be called the same way you did with makedir. Toggle-feature.....? May be can done in AREXX - don't know.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »27.02.23 - 15:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Amigaharry2 - I am thinking about ARexx and using Snapshot - as a similar solution to my 'New Directory' option . . . if it is possible, so I will look into that option more closely, so thanks for mentioning it. ;-)
  • »28.02.23 - 01:58