MIDI Musician wanted
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Hi,

I am looking for a musician using MIDI gears (expander, keyboard, controllers etc...) for his/her production.

PM me please.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »30.05.22 - 19:01
    Profile Visit Website
    tolkien
    Would lìke to see new audio things from you but I only have a midi keyboard that use from time to time (Im a guitar man ;) )
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »01.06.22 - 20:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    Hi Tcheko,

it was my plan to use Morphos for Bars&Pipes.
    I was able to install B&P, that was no problem, but using it was not really possible. It freezes to often. Now I'm still using my old Amiga 1240 for Midi.
    (Works still very, very good)

I think that B&P for Midi is still the best, even after all this years.
    I use it for the accompaignement for my arrangements for choirs.
    (www.tommmaaktmuziek.nl)

Tom Overtoom
  • »02.06.22 - 12:33
    polluks
    tommaaktmuziek.nl two m ;-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »02.06.22 - 18:35
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Tomo schrieb:
    Hi Tcheko,

it was my plan to use Morphos for Bars&Pipes.
    I was able to install B&P, that was no problem, but using it was not really possible. It freezes to often. Now I'm still using my old Amiga 1240 for Midi.
    (Works still very, very good)

I think that B&P for Midi is still the best, even after all this years.
    I use it for the accompaignement for my arrangements for choirs.
    (www.tommmaaktmuziek.nl)

Tom Overtoom

Alfred recently did a 2023 update AFAICT:

BarsnPipes 1.2 MorphOS 2023 update

Be aware that his Website is still pretty much stuck in the 2000s .... :)
  • »03.01.23 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
    tolkien
    Has anyone tried that BnP version? I did but had a lot of problems. Will try today with no hurry.

[ Editado por tolkien 04.01.2023 - 09:16 ]
  • »04.01.23 - 07:50
    tolkien
    Thanks Papisaur.
    I have tried again but as you say it is buggy.
    I have reported it to Alfred. Sure he can fix it.
  • »04.01.23 - 09:19
    Tcheko
    Hi there,

With the help of Alfred, I fixed a long standing bug in camdusbmidi.class (this class allows the use of an usb to MIDI DIN in/out interface) that hindered SysEx messages.

Those can be usefull for sample based instruments for example (uploading samples to MIDI instrument thru MIDI).

If anyone need it, feel free to get in touch via PM, I'll send a download link for the 'hotfix'.

Hope we'll see some tune someday coming out of Bars'n'Pipe MorphOS version!
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
  • »04.01.23 - 17:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Quote:

Tcheko a écrit :
    Hi there,

With the help of Alfred, I fixed a long standing bug in camdusbmidi.class (this class allows the use of an usb to MIDI DIN in/out interface) that hindered SysEx messages.

Those can be usefull for sample based instruments for example (uploading samples to MIDI instrument thru MIDI).

If anyone need it, feel free to get in touch via PM, I'll send a download link for the 'hotfix'.

Hope we'll see some tune someday coming out of Bars'n'Pipe MorphOS version!

Nice news!

Yes, it will be fantastic if Bars'n Pipes worked fine on MorphOS!
  • »04.01.23 - 17:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    The updated 1.3 release should fix some annoying bugs that went unnoticed in Alfred's initial update.

Anyone who wants to give it a try without actual MIDI H/W should have a look at tcheko's FrozenLiquid which allows MIDI playback without any physical MIDI enabled devices.
  • »02.02.23 - 23:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    I have a question: If we use the 68k lib that is included on latest BnP, taking advantage of Gameport to Midi connection, does this mean that it will work with all Midi compatible software on MorphOS (i.e. ScummVM) or this will be true only for BnP?

I have just ordered a MT32 Pi hat from Sweden (though still lacking the actual RPi3a) since I have confirmation that MT32 with USB to MIDI cable works on MorphOS but my USB ports/hubs are heavily populated and would like to take advantage of the SBLive Gameport connection.

What do you guys think?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »20.02.23 - 11:26
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    @Cool_amigaN
    Should work then let's give it a try.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »20.02.23 - 14:23
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    I have a question: If we use the 68k lib that is included on latest BnP, taking advantage of Gameport to Midi connection, does this mean that it will work with all Midi compatible software on MorphOS (i.e. ScummVM) or this will be true only for BnP?I have just ordered a MT32 Pi hat from Sweden (though still lacking the actual RPi3a) since I have confirmation that MT32 with USB to MIDI cable works on MorphOS but my USB ports/hubs are heavily populated and would like to take advantage of the SBLive Gameport connection.

What do you guys think?

I am probably the one that has to respond to that question since I wrote most of the MIDI components of MorphOS.

USB is king. I don't plan adding support for SBLive MIDI port with camd.library V50+ for the time being.

Driver model from 68k era has been simply dropped. Context switching is no more a concern nowadays. This made sense with a 7Mhz CPU. Not anymore with a Ghz class CPU.

Adding support for CAMD v50+ for SBLive is perfectly possible nonetheless... I don't have the hardware for that (hidding behind some random excuse). If one is fool enough for diving in that rabbit hole :)

As a side note, camdusbmidi.class has been improved to support multiple MIDI interfaces (ie: up to 16 in/out DIN ports per USB device -> for ex: https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_midiface_16x16.htm). It also has been fixed for properly supporting SysEx messages.

Wouldn't that be perfect for running 16 MT32-Pi in parallel from a single USB port? :)

PS: Never tested 68k camd.library + old MIDI drivers. I don't know if this even works... You might also have some strange behaviour with AHI because MIDI and audio are handled in the very same interrupt... It also means that the AHI SBLive driver must be the 68k version with proper CAMD driver installed... Looks like a major clusterf*ck to me. Good luck nonethless!

[ Edited by Tcheko 20.02.2023 - 16:39 ]
    -------
  • »20.02.23 - 16:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Hmmm, well these details don't sound that positive to me and if I source that gameport-midi cable and won't be working properly, I won't have anyone else to pass it on, due to extremely low demand :/ I 'll look into further details but I am leaning towards to the usb-midi solution after your words. Will revert in next weeks after I receive the RPi3, the Pi Hat and rest of cables about how it went :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »21.02.23 - 08:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    I'm making a big amount of music. I have an A1200 with a vampire with Horny Sequencer (a total killer app) You can sequence just like Logic or Protools. With horny, i control and sequence my Akay MPC One like a midi module. With standalone akai system with its own softsynths and plugin this is a very powerfull solution to make professional sounding tracks with an Amiga. The problem is: On my Vampirized A1200 midi clock, accuracy and jitter is just perfect! But.. With Horny on the Pegasos, via MIDI USB, when i play a track that i made on the 1200, the track is not the same! The groove is not good, all notes do not play toghether! USB is just BAD for midi data... (Yes, you can search the web for this information). My question is: what is the solution to use the pegasos Josystick gameport or soundblaster PCI Gameport to have native midi just like my A1200 ? I need to try this. For information i make the entire track on horny then i capture the Akai MPC ONE output with the Pegasos and import on HD-REC (Another kickass app!) for mastering! I can master all in Amiga! Compressor, multiband compressor, little reverb, stereo enhencer... etc.. all you need to polish your song! Is the stock camd.library capable to redirect signals on gameport or i need to try another older verison of this library ? Thanks you for your response.
  • »07.05.23 - 21:12
    Tcheko
    Quote:

djcollins wrote:

[...]

The groove is not good, all notes do not play toghether! USB is just BAD for midi data... (Yes, you can search the web for this information).

Well bad. I didn't made any benchmarking for jitter/delay with USB. I'll look at that to see if anything is off on the MorphOS side.

Also, keep in mind that USB to serial interface has embedded software (ie: firmware). If you use cheap interface, one can expect cheap behaviour.

Quote:

My question is: what is the solution to use the pegasos Josystick gameport or soundblaster PCI Gameport to have native midi just like my A1200 ?

I don't plan implementing this at all. While I understand that you feel that USB isn't right for the task, better find if there is a way to improve the USB path (if possible at all...).

Quote:

I need to try this. For information i make the entire track on horny then i capture the Akai MPC ONE output with the Pegasos and import on HD-REC (Another kickass app!) for mastering! I can master all in Amiga! Compressor, multiband compressor, little reverb, stereo enhencer... etc.. all you need to polish your song! Is the stock camd.library capable to redirect signals on gameport or i need to try another older verison of this library ? Thanks you for your response.

You can try 68k camd.library and see if it works. I never tried myself, can't help much here.

I'll be glad to ear two raw recordings (ie: no post processing), one made on an Amiga and one made on a Pegasos to let me feel the difference. Let me know if you can do such recordings.

Tcheko
    -------
  • »07.05.23 - 23:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Hi Tcheko,

thank you for your answer. I will try the cam.library in 68k version. the thing I forgot to say is that I tested 3 midi interfaces, one very cheap, one at 300 euros and another even more expensive, the result is exactly the same. I work all day but tonight I'll give you an example, it's very interesting. It will be necessary to listen well in the rhythmic, it is there that that shocks when one listens. We feel that the kick is offset from the rest and that the song does not have the same impact. In fact, in USB, it just feels like listening to a non-quantized track. I'm coming back here tonight. It is clear that if we can improve the midi in USB it is the simplest solution but apparently it is a general problem, on all systems, even in 2023 at the age of USB 3 or 4! explanation here:

https://midi.org/midi/forum/4025-jitter-and-latency-usb-firewire-thunderbolt
  • »08.05.23 - 06:30
    Tcheko
    Quote:

djcollins wrote:
    Hi Tcheko,

thank you for your answer. I will try the cam.library in 68k version. the thing I forgot to say is that I tested 3 midi interfaces, one very cheap, one at 300 euros and another even more expensive, the result is exactly the same. I work all day but tonight I'll give you an example, it's very interesting. It will be necessary to listen well in the rhythmic, it is there that that shocks when one listens. We feel that the kick is offset from the rest and that the song does not have the same impact. In fact, in USB, it just feels like listening to a non-quantized track. I'm coming back here tonight. It is clear that if we can improve the midi in USB it is the simplest solution but apparently it is a general problem, on all systems, even in 2023 at the age of USB 3 or 4! explanation here:

https://midi.org/midi/forum/4025-jitter-and-latency-usb-firewire-thunderbolt

Well. USB is quite a complex thing.

I would advice to use the MIDI USB interface on an unpopulated USB port (ie: no competing device on the bus). At least, that way, all the packet frames will be allocated at a more precise time location. I guess all your MIDI interfaces are working in 'bulk mode', which translate to 'send my data when you can' on the USB bus (ie: the slot is allocated when some room is available on the bus).

Also, the link you passed isn't complete on the subject. USB frame rate can go up to 8KHz (aka 125us microframe) for hi speed devices which will likely help with quantization by reducing the jitter by the same factor. Finding an interface working in hi speed should really help here with those quantization artefacts produced by the USB bus timing.

Still, I'll be really happy to get two recordings, one made with an Amiga and one made with the Pegasos to get an idea of how different it sounds.
    -------
  • »08.05.23 - 09:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Hey Tcheko !

I have 10 minutes of time on 12:00 to make the two bounces !

I have tested on USB 1.1 and USB2 BUS, this is the same problem.

In the two exemple in the file, you need to paid attention with the Kick and the Snare (and drums delays). There are more consistent on the Serial Midi version.

I hope you can ear the "huge" difference :-)

Back to you!

There is the link:

http://gofile.me/71M63/TWr1Fj31p
  • »08.05.23 - 11:59
  • Just looking around
    Hey! Just an idea:

Where is the possibility to assign a priority hyper high for Posseidon or usbmidi class ? Maybe this is the temporary solution ?!
  • »08.05.23 - 12:50
    Tcheko
    Quote:

djcollins wrote:
    Hey! Just an idea:

Where is the possibility to assign a priority hyper high for Posseidon or usbmidi class ? Maybe this is the temporary solution ?!

Raising priority won't magically solve USB timing issues sadly. Sending is governed by USB hardware not the main CPU.
    -------
  • »08.05.23 - 18:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Quote:

djcollins wrote:

[...]

I hope you can ear the "huge" difference :-)

Indeed. I can feel the lagging kick like when a DJ is slightly off beat when mixing two vinyles.
    -------
  • »08.05.23 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website