Scsi Powermac Dual G5
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    I know there have been a few questions on subjects like this.
    Would a SCSI card that works in the Pegasos II work in a Power mac?
    I remember some comments about having to flash cards for Mac but I don't remember if that was just video cards or all. I just got the key-file for mine and the Pegasos II has always been temperamental with SCSI for my scanners.

I'm thinking of a new card too but wanted to ask first before buying.
    I found a "LSI LOGIC SYMBIOS SYM8952U CARD"
  • »30.11.21 - 22:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    These are the SCSI cards officially listed as compatible with MorphOS systems that can accept such a card:-
    Symbios 710
    Symbios 770
    Symbios 810
    Symbios 815
    Symbios 825
    Symbios 875
    Symbios 89x

Which I hope is of some use to you, as the last one listed seems to be the same as you have under consideration. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.11.21 - 22:55
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    These are the SCSI cards officially listed as compatible with MorphOS systems that can accept such a card:-
    Symbios 710
    Symbios 770
    Symbios 810
    Symbios 815
    Symbios 825
    Symbios 875
    Symbios 89x

Which I hope is of some use to you, as the last one listed seems to be the same as you have under consideration. 8-)

It does and I had seen those and been following that. A friend of mine that uses MorphOS on a Power mac mentioned the card they got physically didn't fit the form factor. That's what I was trying to figure out. I haven't seen the card he was trying and he never got it working in his Pegasos II as well. Thank you for the help.

Still working to get my Pegasos II working with what I have again. I suspect it's a cable issue more than anything. Having the Power Mac for scanning if needed would be a huge help though and make me feel happier with my setups..
  • »01.12.21 - 05:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    If it's for using SCANdal with MorphOS, then I use one of the supported scanners:

1. UMAX Astra 1200S - Umax.device
    2. Epson 1640SU - Epson2.device - USB or SCSI, I use USB for convenience
    3. Mustek Paragon 600 II CD mustek.device
    4. HP ScanJet 6300C - hp.device
    5. Mustek BearPaw 1200 TA - gt68xx.device
    6. Plustek S24 gt68xx.device
    7. Mustek 600 CU - mustek_usb.device
    8. Epson Perfection 1260 Photo - plustek.device

Now zukow has fixed whatever caused the lockup of the USB sub-system once SCANdal has been utilised - which used to require a full reboot to access newly plugged in USB hardware - it works a lot better.

Though I wish the SCANdal window was more adjustable, as there are gadgets/buttons on the right hand side of the GUI that are W A Y too L a R g E for their use, and would work/make better/more efficient use of the space in the GUI, and IMHO users should be able to resize them, or at least the are they are contained in, and they should re-size as that is changed to suit a user, as on its own MUI screen you cannot even make use of the whole screen area, there is a large section of the lower section of the screen that refuses to resize.

Being able to resize it all, with this functionality, would be a major improvement, so you could make better/more efficient use of the program to allow the normal scanning GUI window larger, so it sizes off the bottom edge of the screen, but can be moved/slid back up into view, either with the mouse, page down/up or cursor keys, scroll bars (as you would with a browser where the page extends lower but you can still scroll it back into view on the screen) to make better use and be more accurate when scanning, as the scan 'box' does not move accurately enough (pixel by pixel) as far as I am concerned, for my needs. ( I was used to ScanQuix on Amiga 68k - which IMHO is the best scanning program I've ever used, so I got 'ruined' by such luxury - ;-)). Having said that I like using SCANdal much more now, and currently I have to use it within its limitations, though I still hope that zukow will manage to fix/improve SCANdal in the near future. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »01.12.21 - 08:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > These are the SCSI cards officially listed as compatible
    > with MorphOS systems that can accept such a card: [...]

To be exact, these are the names of the SCSI chipsets. Cards with those can be named the same, or similar, or completely different.
  • »01.12.21 - 08:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Using a DAWICONTROL DC-2975U with LSI53C875E (SCSI III /LVD) in my PEG2 for scanning with an old Artec 6000C Plus (SCSIII). Using ScanQuix 5.5, which works perfect.
    Be sure to terminate your scanner.

42546907up.jpg

On PowerMAC G5 I've also a Symbios-Card - works also flawless with Artec 6000C

On the other hand I use also an Epson 1640SU, witch works fine under SCSI and USB useing SCANDAL.
    As Newsense mentioned before: You have to install the updated Epson2.device in MosSys:Devs/Scanners. They are *not* part of MOS3.15-ISO. Can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dsENMd8aMunAofAapb2dpg1Fi84ZwNzt/view?usp=sharing

Do NOT install manualy in System:Devs/Scanners, where it was located in the past (you may delete all Scandal-related files there). Included installer does it right.
    Otherwise there will no USB connetction!
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »01.12.21 - 08:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Would a SCSI card that works in the Pegasos II work in a Power mac?
    > I remember some comments about having to flash cards for Mac but
    > I don't remember if that was just video cards or all.

A PPC/OF ROM for the card is necessary if you want to put the MorphOS boot.img on a storage medium connected to the card. Without PPC/OF ROM, you can still put the MorphOS system files on a storage medium connected to the card as long as the boot.img (which has to be loaded from a different medium then) has a driver for the chipset of the card, which is the case for the SCSI chipsets mentioned in comment #2.
    And of course, that card must comply with the PowerMac G5's PCI specs. The Pegasos' PCI slots are 5V, while the PowerMac G5's PCI slots are 3.3V, so only 3.3/5V-dualcoded cards are compatible with both. Incompatible cards won't fit physically.
  • »01.12.21 - 08:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    The Pegasos' PCI slots are 5V, while the PowerMac G5's PCI slots are 3.3V, so only 3.3/5V-dualcoded cards are compatible with both. Incompatible cards won't fit physically.

I think, that Pegasos2 can have 3.3V only PCI cards, because there is Marvell Discovery chip MV64361 (=3.3V input/output, 5V tolerant. Unfortunatelly, PCI slot (with 5V key) have to be modified.
    With unmodified PCI slot you have to use cards 5V/3.3V compatible (with two keys).

I can check it exactly at home.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »01.12.21 - 11:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> The Pegasos' PCI slots are 5V

> I think, that Pegasos2 can have 3.3V only PCI cards, because there
    > is Marvell Discovery chip MV64361 (=3.3V input/output, 5V tolerant.
    > Unfortunatelly, PCI slot (with 5V key) have to be modified.

I don't think that modifying the slot would suffice. Even if the MV64361 can operate the slot with either voltage, it would have to be switched to the other voltage somehow (firmware?).

>> only 3.3/5V-dualcoded cards are compatible with both.

> With unmodified PCI slot you have to use cards 5V/3.3V compatible
    > (with two keys).

Yes, for interchangeability with PowerMac G5. That's what I wrote.
  • »01.12.21 - 12:47
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    If it's for using SCANdal with MorphOS, then I use one of the supported scanners:

1. UMAX Astra 1200S - Umax.device
    2. Epson 1640SU - Epson2.device - USB or SCSI, I use USB for convenience
    3. Mustek Paragon 600 II CD mustek.device
    4. HP ScanJet 6300C - hp.device

Heh More and more it sounds like I just need to get the Peggy working properly with the scanner again....
    I recently moved the system and it's just being a pain about the SCSI. It's always been a bit odd about it but worked.
    Never really cared for SCANDal. It never worked right/well for me Still using Betascan (The old one not 2)

I have a Mustek Paragon (Not sure what version the front says MFS-6000CX) Bought it brand new early 90's
    I also have an old HP Scanjet 4c but it's burning out I think.
    I'll likely keep looking into SCSI for the Power mac later. Find a "small 8.5 x 11" USB scanner for it and keep the Mustek for the Peggy.
  • »01.12.21 - 17:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I don't think that modifying the slot would suffice. Even if the MV64361 can operate the slot with either voltage, it would have to be switched to the other voltage somehow (firmware?).

No, it is PCI bus thing, not firmware. And there is no voltage switching, only higher voltage tolerace - which is enough for us.

Unfotrunatelly I have no PCI 3.3V only card, to test it properly in real( btw, if card is half size, like controllers often are, is better to use PCI riser instead of modifying the slot.

Anyway, to use 3.3V only card is with no risk to controller ( and with very little risk to card ;-))
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »01.12.21 - 18:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Marvell Discovery chip MV64361 (=3.3V input/output, 5V tolerant.

>> [...]

> there is no voltage switching, only higher voltage tolerace

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Now I understand.
  • »01.12.21 - 20:04