Do next MorphOS version will be 64bit and/or SMP ready?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'd trade these disadvantages for the ISA switch.

Yeah, who wouldn't like to give some disadvantages away ;-)
  • »12.07.21 - 00:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > for me, switching ISA would need to offer […] a 68k OS compatible
    > emulation, […] that would allow such programs to still work "inside"
    > MorphOS, if that would be possible? :-?

That would be like having the cake and eat it, as the saying goes.
  • »12.07.21 - 00:22
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Obviously we have very different use cases here. It is interesting to see that some old-school tasks like CD burning or printing documents are still active in the community. :)

For an office suite, we have several cloud options (not everyone's choice, but majority of computer users prefer cloud solutions these days).

But I get your point, if you want to use programs running locally on your computer for every tasks, MorphOS is still struggling to provide the software support. This forces us to go back to the 68k software library to choose something from there.
  • »12.07.21 - 14:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:
    I'd not want to lose the ability of being able to use some of the older "legacy" software that was "born" on the Amiga 68k Workbench era, such as, PageStream, Photogenics, ImageFX, Photofolio, MakeCD, FryingPan, etc., that I still find very useful within "Trance" of MorphOS. 8-D

So, for me, switching ISA would need to offer such capabilites, such as a 68k OS compatible emulation, i.e. "EnTrance", for 64-bit that would allow such programs to still work "inside" MorphOS, if that would be possible? :-?

For that we have MorphOS ppc as it it now at least. Works great. and I doubt the ppc machines will stop working the day MorphOS switches ISA and introduces/changes some/new API functions.
    But I need faster hardware. I mean Wayfarer is really a great piece of software, but it crawls on the usual boat-sites. Not because it is badly programmed, quite the contraray (it's pretty optimized already), because of the ppc that just lacks the grunt (and the JS JIT).

I still favour something like oulined about 10 years ago: https://via.i-networx.de/q86.htm
    QBox reloaded, ABox legacy with 68k JIT.

Wow - time flies: 10 years, since I wrote that!

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 13.07.2021 - 01:28 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »13.07.21 - 00:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

retrolinuz wrote: For an office suite, we have several cloud options

Don't forget that there is Folio, which is a great idea, and I can't wait for André Siegel to come up with a replacement/improvement for that idea, which I hope he already has as a W.I.P made some progress on? 8-)

For me it's not prudent to hand-off your own digital documents to some "cloud" area and trust an enterprise that just wants to make money from as many people as they can. I just don't trust such commercial ventures.
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote: I still favour something like oulined about 10 years ago:

https://via.i-networx.de/q86.htm - QBox reloaded, ABox legacy with 68k JIT.

Wow indeed Ulrich, nice article though. 8-)

I'd like to see an Amiga based system take the plunge and migrate to either x86 or ARM or even to Raspberry Pi hardware if it can offer sufficient "grunt" for a future long-term benefit.

A Raspberry Pi would be the ultimate (for now) MorphOS-Mini, and it's already a known piece of hardware for many Amiga users, as well as other flavours of OS, with quad core and 64 bit processing, built in HD GFX so what's not to like about it, as long as it would work out to be compatible with 68k and PPC software running within the OS framework? 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.07.21 - 00:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'd like to see an Amiga based system take the
    > plunge and migrate to either x86 or ARM

AROS?

> [...] as long as it would work out to be compatible with 68k
    > and PPC software running within the OS framework? 8-)

I guess this depends on whether or not software running inside a boxed/encapsulated environment is considered "running within the OS framework".
  • »13.07.21 - 10:47