Folio
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sergius
    Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble using Folio in french.
    In French we use a lot the ' caracter and when I save a text with this character, Folio inserts automatically a \ before the ' .

as you can see, this piece of text was saved 3 times

Original text : C'était l'année de ses seize ans
    after saving 1 time : C\'était l\'année de ses seize ans
    after saving 2 times : C\\'était l\\'année de ses seize ans
    after saving 3 times : C\\\'était l\\\'année de ses seize ans

Do you have this issue to?
    An idea to solve it?

Thks
  • »24.07.18 - 15:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Sergius

I have tried this on my GB/UK setup Apple A1016 Bluetooth keyboard, and basically I get the same results as you do , sadly. :-(

If I save the file as either .folio, .htm, or .mht, then when it is reloaded I get the same results as you.

If I try to load it as a .rtf file, that is still not supported . . . . BUT . . . . what is more surprising is that if I saved it as a .txt file then that generates a JavaScript error requester stating . . . . .

"The file could not be opened because it is in the wrong format.

This version of Folio supports loading Folio, HTML, MHT, and TXT documents."

A saved PDF from Odyssey (OWB) v1.25 of the file reads correctly, and copies to Scribble & Ed as it looks/reads originally on screen.

However, the .txt file that I saved from your original input is read in Scribble and Ed as:

C'était l'année de ses seize ans

However, it looks/reads OK in Multiview - no sign of the "©" and if I save it out from Multiview (Copy) and then paste it into Ed it has been "sanitised"/overlooked from within the file and the "©" has not been seen/displayed, and is now gone from the file in any case by doing that copy/paste.

It seems the accents are not being interpreted correctly as yet, but then Folio is still in Beta stage, so I'd certainly mention this to André, for him to look into the issue(s) that are causing it to happen.

The .txt issue I will bring to his attention, if he hasn't viewed this forum thread over the next few days, but I feel sure he will be checking over this issue once he comes across this thread "Folio", seeing as it's his "baby". 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »25.07.18 - 01:56
  • ASiegel
    I had already replied to an inquiry from sergius via PM before this discussion thread popped up...
  • »25.07.18 - 10:55
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @ASiegel: better post it here, it could help someone else having the same problem.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »25.07.18 - 13:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ Leo

The solution is an updated application... I just meant to confirm that I have been made aware of the problem.
  • »25.07.18 - 13:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ ASiegel:

Does that include the .txt file issue, that Folio creates, and then cannot load back in?

Also, if there is an updated application, is it due for release imminently, or does it need more testing prior to its release?

[EDIT] I'd be happy to offer a further donation if there are more improvements to Folio.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »25.07.18 - 16:50
  • ASiegel
    @ NewSense

I just lost an Intel SSD last week with quite a bit of MorphOS data on it. Unbeknownst to me when I bought the expensive-ish 480GB drive, Intel used one of the infamous Sandforce controllers for it that have been known to spontaneously stop working.

To top things off, an Intel support staff member named Iolanda just informed me I am not eligible for a warranty replacement after making several suggestions that made it clear she had failed to read my initial error description.

While I had to unexpectedly buy a replacement SSD and have my main workstation back up and running right now, I am afraid a new Folio version is not 'imminent' for the moment.
  • »25.07.18 - 17:16
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sergius
    Oh! sad for the ssd broken.

My workaround for the \' issue:
    I write my text, then a do some "find and replace"

I replace \' by '
    I replace \\' by '
    I replace \\\' by '

That's all.
  • »25.07.18 - 19:27
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    @Asiegel

Don't even go through Intel's support. If it's still in warranty, just ask for an RMA number and a replacement. Accept no refusal, as it's illegal for them to refuse.

If it's still in warranty...
  • »25.07.18 - 20:37
  • ASiegel
    @ KennyR

Well, there is the legally mandated warranty, which is guaranteed by the reseller, and then there is Intel's voluntary 5-year extended manufacturer warranty...
  • »25.07.18 - 20:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

and then there is Intel's voluntary 5-year extended manufacturer warranty...

Yes, try turning directly to Intel if the reseller warranty is expired.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »26.07.18 - 00:42
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Yes, try turning directly to Intel if the reseller warranty is expired.

Well, I already did and discussed the result above.
  • »26.07.18 - 05:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ ASiegel,

Sorry to hear about your SSD issues, that really is likely to be a great deal of trouble, but as others have said, I'd persist with any valid warranty you have for the SSD drive, as that should be honoured by either the retailer or Intel if the extended warranty is still valid.

I can understand about the delay of an updated Folio, which is a shame, but understandable, and I hope you get some satisfaction by obtaining a warranted replacement unit, and are able to get back on track with your MorphOS passion, for which many of us, well me at least as I can't speak for everyone I suppose, are ever so grateful for. 8-D

I'm not a major fan of SSD drives, but I do own a few, though I rarely use them, as they are kept disconnected for most of the time, with the software updated when necessary, yet still available as a backup should I need them. I trust them even less now I have heard of your trouble with one.
  • »27.07.18 - 01:28
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I'm not a major fan of SSD drives, but I do own a few, though I rarely use them, as they are kept disconnected for most of the time, with the software updated when necessary, yet still available as a backup should I need them. I trust them even less now I have heard of your trouble with one.

Actually, leaving SSDs disconnected from power for extended periods of time can lead to loss of data. You should keep them connected if possible as they are not suitable for long-term data storage but do offer high speeds during active and continued use. (Source)

My bad experiences were solely limited to drives with Sandforce controllers, which are no longer being manufactured.
  • »04.08.18 - 15:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    @ KennyR

Well, there is the legally mandated warranty, which is guaranteed by the reseller, and then there is Intel's voluntary 5-year extended manufacturer warranty...

Two years from date of purchase in the EU isn't it?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »04.08.18 - 18:13
    ernsteiswuerfel
    So, how is Folio going? I am curious if there is some progress. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »19.10.19 - 15:16
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Any chance Folio might get resurrected with Wayfarer as new backend? ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »23.11.20 - 09:26
  • ASiegel
    @ ernsteiswuerfel

A new version of Folio is in active development. Like VectorInk, it uses Kite, which is derived from Odyssey and offers specific Webkit features that, which some might find surprising, are actually not available in newer versions.

If a new version of Kite can be build based on Wayfarer, that would certainly be very interesting. That said, the older Webkit offers plenty of capabilities for my needs and there is a noticable (albeit not drastic) performance advantage.

(If Wayfarer were to get hardware acceleration for graphics, which I am not sure is feasible, I suspect it could actually feel much faster than Odyssey.)
  • »23.11.20 - 10:22
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Well that's some good news, thanks! Be it OWB-Kite or (a potential) Wayfarer-Kite which new Folio is based upon. :-)
  • »23.11.20 - 11:12
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Excellent news !

The new version now features Magic PageFlow Pro™ technologies :-), which is to say it is now no longer merely a "Wordpad"-type application but can behave similar to Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, or Libre Writer.

It took quite a while to figure out how to accomplish this without major (or even noticeable) performance penalties.

Quote:

Maybe a new spreadsheet too ? :-)

It's certainy been investigated especially after Leu development appears to be frozen for now.

In fact, there is a great ready-to-use spreadsheet component with a flexible license that meets pretty much all needs I personally could ever have with regard to spreadsheet applications. However, while it does work with Wayfarer thanks to its cutting-edge Webkit engine, it is just a bit too slow as it uses the canvas element to draw everything. I would guess it might require hardware accelerated graphics operations to be reasonably fluid on the type of PowerPC hardware that MorphOS supports.

There are alternatives that utilize standard HTML tables too. Those are quite fast but they more or less offer a similar set of features as offered by Leu.
  • »26.11.20 - 11:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    The new version now features Magic PageFlow Pro™ technologies :-), which is to say it is now no longer merely a "Wordpad"-type application but can behave similar to Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, or Libre Writer.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what features the new version has that are similar to Libre Writer. This is indeed great news!

Later, regarding a possible spreadsheet program you wrote;

Quote:

...... I would guess it might require hardware accelerated graphics operations to be reasonably fluid on the type of PowerPC hardware that MorphOS supports.

There are alternatives that utilize standard HTML tables too. Those are quite fast but they more or less offer a similar set of features as offered by Leu.

Does anyone know and understand exactly where we stand, and where we might be going, with "hardware accelerated graphics operations" for the next few versions of MorphOS (the PPC version, not future x64 versions of MorphOS)? I'm confused and don't understand (not surprisingly) what goals are being worked on to enhance graphics performance in MorphOS for the PPC, or what types of hardware acceleration we might be able to get in future versions, if any, or is the goal to simply provide the most basic of video card support, but for newer video cards, as BigFoot and the rest of the team have time to provide? This is one area where the other camp appears to be more transparent and vocal about what Hans is working on, though I do understand that the graphics systems for MorphOS is different than that of the "other camp", so I don't expect the goals to be exactly the same.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.11.20 - 09:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I would guess it might require hardware accelerated
    >> graphics operations to be reasonably fluid on the type
    >> of PowerPC hardware that MorphOS supports.

> I'm confused and don't understand (not surprisingly) [...]

Considering that Folio is essentially a web app running locally inside a stripped-down Odyssey (Kite, see comment #18), I guess that "hardware accelerated graphics operations" may refer to hardware-accelerated Cairo or even WebGL within the browser environment. The requirements to implement the former are probably met by the OS, but the latter would require OpenGL ES 2.0 or newer to be supported by the OS.
  • »27.11.20 - 10:02
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I guess that "hardware accelerated graphics operations" may refer to hardware-accelerated Cairo

That is correct.

Quote:

even WebGL within the browser environment

At this time, I would consider proper WebGL support a waste of time. The market share of websites that utilize it is miniscule (and will remain that way for quite a while). Those that do often also require little-endian processor architectures.
  • »27.11.20 - 14:38
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @ASiegel: Kindly wanted to ask what's the current state of Folio. ;-)

As I find myself doing more travel by train and as such use the PowerBook more often it would be nice if I could do some word processing unter MorphOS. Of course I can reboot to Void Linux and use LibreOffice there but the downside is that webbrowsing is dog-slow on the Linux side of things.. Would be much nicer (and faster) to do this task on the MorphOS side. There's also Google Docs but for that you need a stable WiFi connection which is unfortunately not (at all) guaranteed on trains.
  • »29.06.21 - 14:58