New User - Recommendations request
  • Just looking around
    Greetings!

I own a X5000 that I have been using for OS 4.1 since the machine was released. I am not an Amiga OS expert, but I have really enjoyed using both the machine and the OS. Now, MorphOS… I bought it for a PowerBook several years ago but rarely used it.. so I don’t have much, if any real experience with it…

Which brings me to today… While I love OS 4.1, I have had problems with it… the real problem these days is the still constant fighting between rights holders, etc… so I got sick of it, bought a compatible graphics card and a better sound card, and bought another MorphOS license.

That is the story… my question….

What are some of the best apps and games that I should check out? Maybe a top 5 or so? Should I just go the Crystalis pack route? I already have the new browser, which is amazing!

Thanks in advance!

-Slygon
  • »23.06.21 - 00:55
  • Just looking around
    wicknix
    Everyone will have different opinions regarding your question, but here's a few of my "must haves".
    Wayfarer (browser)
    Iris (email client)
    WookieChat (irc client)
    MPlayer (media player)
    RNO Radio (streaming radio)
    Grafx2 (image creation / manipulation)
    EvenMore (text/document/html viewer)
    MCAmiga (file manager)
    SDLPoP (best game ever)

Cheers
  • »23.06.21 - 05:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I would recommend to read this article if you want to tune the system yourself:
    https://library.morph.zone/Getting_Started

There's also lots of other good information at the MorphOS library. Get familiar with applications and utilities that are bundled in the MorphOS, for instance. They already cover a lot for software needs.

The Getting Started may be a bit outdated regarding the 3rd party software, so I definitely would recommend to install these programs manually, but you still can read the tutorial how to setup MPlayer as the default player etc:
    Wayfarer (browser)
    MPlayer (media player)
    Iris (e-mail client)

Then it depends more what you're interested in... but some recommendations:
    AmIRC (the most up-to-date version of the IRC client)
    RNO software (many useful programs by me)

Maybe I'll leave others to continue from this... or someone to link old threads about games and 68k programs etc :)
  • »23.06.21 - 05:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    I’d just go the Chrysalis pack to be honest. I’ve got in installed on all my machines and it really helps you get into the OS and see what’s available.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »23.06.21 - 10:18
  • Just looking around
    Thanks for all of the information so far!

I just sent an e-mail to get added to the user map. Looks like I will be the only one in my state...I doubt it though.. lots of classic computer users here (Utah).

I have the Chrysalis pack, I will start playing with it more. It looks really nice.

I assume there is a good MorphOS IRC channel? I use IRC quite a lot for AmigaOS 4. I have been using Wookiechat on OS 4, but it looks like AmIRC is newer on MorphOS.. Is one better than the other, or is it just personal preference?

Thanks again! I will be playing with this system a lot more over the next few days to see how much of my daily work I can do with it. With the Wayfarer browser, it may be a lot more than I was able to with OS 4.

-Slygon
  • »23.06.21 - 11:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Looks like I will be the only one in my state...I doubt
    > it though.. lots of classic computer users here (Utah).

The map may be fallacious in this regard. On the one hand, only a fraction of MorphOS users have registered with this map, but on the other hand, most former MorphOS users who registered likely didn't deregister.
  • »23.06.21 - 12:23
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Slygon wrote:
    I just sent an e-mail to get added to the user map. Looks like I will be the only one in my state...I doubt it though.. lots of classic computer users here (Utah).

Uhm.. welll... I'd have to register on the map some day too ;)

Quote:

I use IRC quite a lot for AmigaOS 4. I have been using Wookiechat on OS 4, but it looks like AmIRC is newer on MorphOS.. Is one better than the other, or is it just personal preference?

Downside on AmIRC is that it doesn't support multiple networks in the same window, so you'll have to run separate instances for IRCNet, Libera, etc, but otherwise I find AmIRC much more solid experience and I've been using it since the 90s.. it's my choice still :) I don't think Wookiechat support secure connections... so it's mainly couple of features and overall experience for your taste that matters.
  • »23.06.21 - 17:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    wicknix
    That's what i hate about AmIRC. Having to use multiple windows for every network is a major PITA. Wookie looks and feels the most like X-Chat/Hexchat to me. (and yes, i know X-Chat originally borrowed a lot from AmIRC)

[ Edited by wicknix 23.06.2021 - 23:22 ]
  • »24.06.21 - 04:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Thanks again for all of the info!

I have installed, and re-installed MorphOS a few times, just to try different configurations... I am now quite happy with a clean install, no Chrysalis (for now) and I installed many of the applications recommended. Everything is working really well!

I have tried both AmIRC and Wookie.. I used Wookie on Amiga OS 4.1, and I think I will stick with it.. I just like it better.. but I have both installed so I can bounce back and forth and try them.

So far, the OS is very stable and usable, I am enjoying it!

Thanks again!

-Slygon
  • »24.06.21 - 19:19