Will x64 survive long?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    Will x64 survive well enough to bring MorphOS 4.0 into reality? The author of this article doesn't seem to think so. Speculative execution is a "spectre" that haunts more than just multicore architecture. Hyperthreading seems to be vulnerable too. I'm not sure that ARM is as invulnerable as the author seems to think but unless there is an up-to-date x64 CPU and motherboard to handle the speculative execution vulnerabilities, nothing looks hopeful.
  • »04.06.21 - 14:38
    Kronos
    Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
    Will x64 survive well enough to bring MorphOS 4.0 into reality? The author of this article doesn't seem to think so.

I could haunt through the archives and find plenty articles from much more respectable sources written in the early 90s being 100% sure that x86 was soon to be doomed with the rise of RISC HW (SPARC, PA_RISC and to a lesser extent PPC).

AMD_X64 will continue for many many years.
  • »04.06.21 - 15:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    With Apple and Microsoft moving to AArch64 and Google straddling the difference using cross-architecture developments, I'm not so sure. Intel may be forced off its own instruction-set by AMD, true. If Intel teams up with nVidia's ARM division with some cross licensing agreements, interesting times could be ahead.
  • »04.06.21 - 15:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    x86 has the stench of death.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »04.06.21 - 17:48
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
    With Apple and Microsoft moving to AArch64 and Google straddling the difference using cross-architecture developments, I'm not so sure. Intel may be forced off its own instruction-set by AMD, true. If Intel teams up with nVidia's ARM division with some cross licensing agreements, interesting times could be ahead.

Windows exists (and fails) on ARM for years, so I don't see MicroSoft doing anything of consequence anytime soon.

Anything compiled for 64Bit on PC (and if your still doing 32Bit you shouldn't be doing anything at all) is AMDs instruction set.

Apple did hurt Intels ego but so far thats all it does. Intel also fails in getting a leg up compared to AMD in recent times.

Neither does have an impact (yet) where Intel makes it's money.
  • »04.06.21 - 18:24
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    I simply don't care about Intel/x86_64 that much to want to see it fail. ;-) Alternative archs are there, if you prefer them just use them with whatever OS they support if it's all about archs.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »04.06.21 - 19:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    ARM may domiate the private devices, but companies are not likely to ditch x64 soon. And that market alone is way big enough to sustain x64 for some more decades. As I wrote about a decade ago areagy (or so): arm may dominate, new ISAs may pop up, but this is all not a given, all speculative. A given though is that x64 will sustain (maybe in 2nd or 3rd row), but it will sustain.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.06.21 - 20:30
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Quote:

Kronos schrieb:
    Anything compiled for 64Bit on PC (and if your still doing 32Bit you shouldn't be doing anything at all) is AMDs instruction set.

Compiled? Well, IL enables CPU independence of the .NET framework.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »04.06.21 - 22:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    For me Arm is not a question for today, in ten years wy not ?

For now AMD64 is mainstream, it will not die now.....

AMD processors are powerfull and they are absolultly amazing for gaming and industrial applications.

The apple M1 will stay on apple machines, some other manufacturers are devolopping Arm processors, but unfortunatly they will be as powerfull as entry level X64 processors.

Arm is targetted for embeded and entry level computers....for some years...

Apple is an exeption at this moment.

In fact i prefer Arm to be mainstream for Pc's but for now and some years again a it will not happen.

[ Edited by acepeg 06.06.2021 - 21:55 ]
  • »06.06.21 - 20:53
    polluks
    @acepeg
    Did you already used an M1? No fan, it's like flying.
    M1X and M2 will even better...
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »06.06.21 - 21:16