PowerBook G4 (A1138) keyboard ghosting
  • zoi
  • Just looking around
    zoi
    I'm a rather fast typist and I'm seeing some ghosting only under MorphOS 3.9 when using the built-in keyboard on my A1138 PB G4. A small test case would be typing the word 'ver' very quickly, which almost always comes out as 'vever'- I guess I'm not always releasing the previous key before pressing down the next one.

The same does not happen with the built-in keyboard using the lubuntu 14.04.05 LTS live CD, so I don't think the keyboard is defect. Also, it does not happen when using an external USB keyboard, so I don't believe it's expected behaviour under MorphOS.

Any ideas?
  • »11.02.18 - 18:34
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    It may be stating the obvious, but have you tried increasing the key delay in the keyboard preferences?

Default behaviour for any OS is to ignore a key after it's just been pressed for a short time. It's usually just a matter of configuring it to match your typing speed.
  • »11.02.18 - 20:08
  • zoi
  • Just looking around
    zoi
    Thanks for your reply. I've tried fiddling with the settings there, and with the repeat delay all the way up to 2000ms it still happens, but it's easier to pinpoint what happens in my example. For the example of 'ver' I guess I'm keeping 'v' and 'e' pressed down while hitting 'r'. When I do that, I'll get an extra 've' of input every time I hit 'r'.

I might be nitpcking, but it keeps me from writing at full speed when I get all these extra characters randomly.
  • »11.02.18 - 20:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'm not that fast a typist, but I seem to remember having such an issue with MorphOS a while back, though I can't remember whether it was isolated to my MacMini, or my A1138 PowerBook (like you have) . . . or even if it was back 4 or so years ago, in my older Amiga days (which I still have, but currently don't use).

I'm not sure what cured it either, I'm just offering zoi some support that I've noticed this double letter or multiple character input even though I felt sure I wasn't pressing the key that was still triggering the input. I thought it was just the hardware then, as I don't think anyone else has mentioned this issue until now, though I could be mistaken.

However, I don't think I've had that issue for a while, but then I usually use my Apple Bluetooth (A1016) keyboard with my Mac Mini for MorphOS, which works really well. Though I also have a few A1048 USB keyboards as well, but can't remember having that issue with them either, well not recently that I can remember, even though I've used them recently, but that was often installing a Mac OS X for someone else.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »12.02.18 - 08:26
  • zoi
  • Just looking around
    zoi
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I'm not that fast a typist, but I seem to remember having such an issue with MorphOS a while back, though I can't remember whether it was isolated to my MacMini, or my A1138 PowerBook (like you have) . . . or even if it was back 4 or so years ago, in my older Amiga days (which I still have, but currently don't use).

I'm not sure what cured it either, I'm just offering zoi some support that I've noticed this double letter or multiple character input even though I felt sure I wasn't pressing the key that was still triggering the input. I thought it was just the hardware then, as I don't think anyone else has mentioned this issue until now, though I could be mistaken.

However, I don't think I've had that issue for a while, but then I usually use my Apple Bluetooth (A1016) keyboard with my Mac Mini for MorphOS, which works really well. Though I also have a few A1048 USB keyboards as well, but can't remember having that issue with them either, well not recently that I can remember, even though I've used them recently, but that was often installing a Mac OS X for someone else.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. As I said, my eMac G4 with a wired keyboard does not do this (nor does the PB G4 when I use that same USB keyboard).

I thought it was just weird doing so many typos overnight. I tried to make a video of the test case of 'ver' with a very high repeat timeout: https://youtu.be/CojNvcDQQdI

Curiously enough, it doesn't happen with all combinations of three characters. Any order of R, E and V seems to do it, same with E-A-D.

Holding down E and O while tapping L does something even more weird - I get input like 'eoe6e6e6e6'. Debugging it a bit seems that the last character is interpreted as keypad-6.

Trying to reproduce the same case of holding two keys, tapping a third does not give any third character under lubuntu nor it's bootloader. Releasing the keys in desired order inputs the last key as one would expect.
  • »12.02.18 - 11:23
    polluks
    I reported this bug as #0002963 however it's not on the list for 3.10.

[ Editiert durch polluks 12.02.2018 - 16:36 ]
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »12.02.18 - 11:51
    KennyR
    Yup, if changing the delay settings did nothing it's a bug. Sounds like there's a latency issue.
  • »12.02.18 - 13:58
  • zoi
  • Just looking around
    zoi
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    I reported this bug as #0002963 however it's not on the list for 3.10.

[ Editiert durch polluks 12.02.2018 - 16:36 ]

Excellent. Is there an open bugtracker somewhere?
  • »12.02.18 - 19:16
    polluks
    It's closed.

[ Editiert durch polluks 12.02.2018 - 20:51 ]
  • »12.02.18 - 20:07
  • zoi
  • Just looking around
    zoi
    This issue is back in 3.15
  • »11.05.21 - 08:53
    polluks
    I cannot reproduce it. Are you sure it was gone in 3.14?
  • »11.05.21 - 15:21