Mouse & Keyboard Freezing
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    I'm getting some strange behaviour at the moment when I try to change the settings in any of the toolbar modules on my G5 Quad.

Everything is fine until I try to use the keyboard to change something and then the mouse and keyboard both hang and freeze to the extent that I have to reboot using the main power button. The computer is still operating fine in the background I just cannot control it.

Using the keyboard at any other time seems completely fine and I'm typing this now on it in Wayfarer and there are no issues. So I am not sure what is going on. Although I presume it is USB related as pressing the keyboard knocks out both input devices.

The only changes I have made recently are;

i. A fresh install of 3.15 as I moved from a HDD to a SSD, previously my 3.15 install was an update install over 3.14

ii. I've started using a new Motospeed mechanical keyboard, but I get the same behaviour no matter which keyboard I use.

Any help or advice much appreciated.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »24.03.21 - 10:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Just had another look at this and found that I cannot replicate the same error on my MacMini, so its either specific to the G5 PCIe or perhaps is due to the G5 having a completely fresh install of 3.15 as the MacMini was originally installed with 3.13 and then updated.

Still seems to literally only effect entering settings in respect to the screenbar modules. Any other MUI application seems to be fine.

Really strange.

Does anyone know what file holds the settings for these, as I'll copy if across from my MacMini or Powerbook to achieve the settings in the modules I want?
  • »25.03.21 - 13:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    This doesn't essentially mean there's an issue with USB. To me this sounds more like an input device/intuition deadlock. There's a couple of things you may want to check in order to narrow this down.

1. Does the system clock keep redrawing? Any other windows refreshing their contents?
    2. Does anything happen if you replug the kb/mouse?
    3. See if you can still use a remote kb/mouse when this happens (set up the Synergy client on the machine and remote into it).
    4. Keep LogTool running and its window visible when trying to reproduce this. If this is a crash, you might just see it - take a photo and upload here.
    5. Screenbar configuration is kept in ENVARC:MUI/ScreenManager* files
  • »25.03.21 - 14:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • K-L
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    K-L
    Known trouble : I can reproduce it every time I want to change something in the YWeather sbar for example.

I tried with other French MOS user and same behaviour for them.

If I try to write something in Yweather.sbar prefs, mouse and keyboard lock. Everything continue to work but USB. Unplugging/plugin back doesn't work.

Only a reboot solves the trouble.
    PowerMac G5 2,7 Ghz / Radeon 9650 / MorphOS 3.15
    AmigaOne X1000 (unused ATM)
  • »26.03.21 - 11:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

K-L wrote:
    Known trouble : I can reproduce it every time I want to change something in the YWeather sbar for example.

If I try to write something in Yweather.sbar prefs, mouse and keyboard lock. Everything continue to work but USB. Unplugging/plugin back doesn't work.

Do report a bug to the author, please.
  • »26.03.21 - 12:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    Quote:

K-L escribió:

I had the same problem and was a module bar that cause the lock (dont remember what module). Remove all of them and add once a time and try until find the faulty one.

[ Editado por tolkien 27.03.2021 - 21:11 ]
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »26.03.21 - 16:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    This doesn't essentially mean there's an issue with USB. To me this sounds more like an input device/intuition deadlock. There's a couple of things you may want to check in order to narrow this down.

1. Does the system clock keep redrawing? Any other windows refreshing their contents?
    2. Does anything happen if you replug the kb/mouse?
    3. See if you can still use a remote kb/mouse when this happens (set up the Synergy client on the machine and remote into it).
    4. Keep LogTool running and its window visible when trying to reproduce this. If this is a crash, you might just see it - take a photo and upload here.
    5. Screenbar configuration is kept in ENVARC:MUI/ScreenManager* files

I've now had a chance to look at this and have the following answers;

1. Yes the clock keeps going so the computer and MorphOS are still running its just impossible to control;
    2. If you replug the kb/mouse it doesn't make any difference it is still frozen. Even plugging in a different mouse/kb makes no difference;
    3. I haven't tried yet
    4. Please see this;

LogTool File

5. Thanks, I'll take a look at this later
  • »28.03.21 - 08:43
  • Just looking around
    LuckyHazlenut
    i have an iMac G5 and i have the exact same problem.

Is there already a solution for this?

best regards
    iMac G5 2.1 20" iSight (PowerMac 12.1)
    Registered MorphOS 3.15 since
    -- (11.04.2021 - 23:30) --
  • »17.04.21 - 01:47