Powerbook 5.9 only boots to old version of MorphOS on disk
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi,
    First it is nice to see very familiar nicknames here. I have not been around for many years but some of you sticked around :)

Second I realized MorphOS was still developed and decided to install latest version on my Powerbook 5.9.
    It is installed with 3.0

However I tried to get in the boot selector with left ALT, OF, press C to force boot on CD / DVD and whatever I do it boots directly on the HD on MorphOS 3.0.
    I also tried the PRAM rest but it does not reset.

- I can access my burned image on a DVD+RW no problem from Ambiant
    - There is no chime when I power on this powerbook
    - The keyboard works fine in MorphOS (however not sure how to test command / option keys)
    - The time get reset to 01 jan 78 and a few seconds every time I power off and power on. I guess PRAM is not saved. Maybe not being powered a few years did not help

What else can I try ?

Is there a way from the booted morphOS I can force it to reboot on the CD ?

Thanks !

[ Edited by cdfr 26.02.2021 - 14:54 ]
  • »26.02.21 - 20:15
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    With the Alt key you enter in de boot select screen and can select the CD drive.

But you can use a usb to update too...
    Code:
    https://www.morphos-team.net/guide/usb-boot
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »26.02.21 - 20:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Thanks.
    This was not working at first when I first powered it (after years) but then finally worked a few minutes ago.

I wonder if this is a PRAM issue as this does not retain my system time or if some keys got not good. I managed to test the command key with using the cursor. This is an old reflex I had when I had a faulty mouse on my Amiga and it seems the MorphOS devs provided the very same behavior :)

I am running the Apple Hardware Test ATM. If this passes well, I will attempt booting the 3.15 burned DVD.
  • »26.02.21 - 21:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Got 3.15 installed. While the DVD-RW was recognized in Ambiant it would not appear in the boot selector. I burned it on a CD-R and this worked fine.

I was glad to see wifi is now supported and there seems to be tons of improvements since version 3.0 !
    Now time to play around !
  • »26.02.21 - 23:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Don't forget to checkout the latest Chrysalis v3.15 CD from MorphOS Storage which has too numerous to mention here so many additional add-ons for MorphOS.

Sure you'll enjoy what there is on offer for this great OS. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »27.02.21 - 02:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Installed Chrysalis 3.15.

Thanks for pointing this !
  • »03.03.21 - 21:33