AmigaOne X5000, several settings for MorphOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Hello,

Some of you found out during one of the last triples amigabouffes a I now have an amigaone x5000. I purchased it at the beginning of the summer from amedia computer. He had amigaos 4.1 final edition installed. I tried to boot from the morphos 3.13 cd but with the graphics card installed, amd radeon r7 240 could not go further than loading the boot.img file. I have used amigaos 4.1 somewhat but I don't like it, its GUI is / made too old. There is too much conservatism on the part of hyperion as well as maybe on the part of a-eon, in my opinion. I found an ati radeon hd 5450 graphics card on lbc. I was then able to install morphos on it but some points are annoying and unanswered.

1 / The boot partition. Currently not used, morphos copied the boot.img file to the root of the morphos partition. If I do something wrong, this file may be deleted and it will be impossible for me to start. I don't know which filesystem, sfs ffs or whatever to choose when creating partitions. So I created this partition in ffs and copied the boot.img file on it but during each boot it is found and loaded from the morphos partition. I thought there need/should be a 'boot-device' environment variable in u-boot. This does not exist, if I create it which arguments to use for it to be taken into account.

2 / Partitioning of a ssd. I opt for a ssd but I have several questions. How big should the blocks be using sfs ? Usual 512 or 2048 ? I seem to have read somewhere that it's 2048, but I'd like to be sure. How many buffers should I put for each partition ? At the beginning of morphos 1.4.x it was indicated 600, then Daff in its morphos installation tutorials indicates 128, but on the screenshots of these it is indicated 300. In the preference settings of sfs should you leave everything default or put more? Where this there and how much then?

That will be all for now.

Brumiga
  • »20.12.20 - 14:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > morphos copied the boot.img file to the root of the morphos
    > partition. If I do something wrong, this file may be deleted and
    > it will be impossible for me to start. I don't know which filesystem,
    > sfs ffs or whatever to choose when creating partitions. So I
    > created this partition in ffs and copied the boot.img file on it but
    > during each boot it is found and loaded from the morphos partition.

I think this is as intended. MorphOS team member cyfm described the X5000's MorphOS boot process involving the Hyperbootloader there:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12849&forum=3&start=3
  • »20.12.20 - 16:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @Andreas,

I search for informations about writing a file .hdimg to an usb stick or a card media. I saw somewhere the instructions to proceed with windows, mac os x, linux and last but not least morphos. I think and I suppose it was on the web site of morphos team, but impossible to find those informations there despite searchs. So where is it possible to find them ?

I have read somewhere some hints about u-boot. But I do not find them anymore. It is not on wiki.amiga.org, I have verified, there are some but not the ones I search for. For the second time can you find something ?

Brumiga
  • »27.12.20 - 13:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I search for informations about writing a file .hdimg to an usb
    > stick or a card media. I saw somewhere the instructions to
    > proceed with windows, mac os x, linux and last but not least
    > morphos. [...] where is it possible to find them ?

Comment #10 by xeno74 has the info about Linux, macOS and Windows. Edit: or there.

> I have read somewhere some hints about u-boot. But I
    > do not find them anymore. [...] can you find something ?

Can you be more specific regarding those "hints"?

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 02.01.2021 - 16:49 ]
  • »27.12.20 - 16:43
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Brumiga wrote:
    2 / Partitioning of a ssd. I opt for a ssd but I have several questions. How big should the blocks be using sfs ? Usual 512 or 2048 ? I seem to have read somewhere that it's 2048, but I'd like to be sure. How many buffers should I put for each partition ? At the beginning of morphos 1.4.x it was indicated 600, then Daff in its morphos installation tutorials indicates 128, but on the screenshots of these it is indicated 300. In the preference settings of sfs should you leave everything default or put more? Where this there and how much then?

I would say blocksizes 512 or 4096, but I haven't studied the topic well enough yet. Basically it could be better for modern SSD's to use 4096, because AFAIK they write that much data with each write, but how it's in reality with older setups otherwise...

Buffers isn't that important to decide initially, because you can always change them later and on the fly too, but generally it'll feel much faster to delete big amounts of files etc if you have bigger buffers. It'll consume more memory per partition, but I have nowadays 4096 on the drives with lots of small files and lots of usage/deleting (sys and work), but then other less used partitions 1024 or 2048. 128 is more like classic Amigas with few megs of fast ram, which just can't afford too much memory usage for partitions, so several hundreds or couple thousands are fine for our current memory sizes.
  • »27.12.20 - 18:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Basically it could be better for modern SSD's to use 4096,
    > because AFAIK they write that much data with each write

That's correct. However, the idea of using 4096 byte blocks with SSDs only makes sense if also the position of the blocks is aligned with the physical cells of the SSD. I'm not sure that HDConfig takes automatic care of such alignment (old HDToolBox doesn't).
  • »27.12.20 - 22:42