A possible future for MorphOS
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I love MorphOS in it's current hardware choices. Apple PPC laptops and desktops
    > and I wouldn't want it any other way. I prefer the resources taking to making it
    > appealing for developers and easier for developers to develop applications and
    > games for the MorphOS PPC current hardware than to invest in porting it into
    > other hardwares and tugging back and forth which hardware is the best to go.

After the Apple PPC laptops and desktops, MorphOS has already been ported to other hardware: ACube Sam460 (AmigaOne 500) and A-Eon Cyrus Plus (AmigaOne X5000) :-)

> what is the final conclusion? Where have we reached [...]?

The MorphOS team's long-term plan to release a MorphOS "NG" on x86-64, as originally announced in 2011 and confirmed numerous times after that, is apparently still valid.
  • »03.04.19 - 11:04
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Then conclusion is done! Discussion over!

Unleesss you guys are just having fun and throwing opinions and having intellectual debate back and forth....trying to see who can outsmart the other with a convincing argument....if that is the case....have at it! - grin -

Who am I to spoil the fun? ^___^*

By the way, I start to compare MorphOS with Playstation O_O!

Playstation 3 is backward compatible with PS 2 and PS1 (even if it is software emulated but done in such way you cannot tell if it is software emulated).

MorphOS PPC is the same. It is backward compatible with 68k applications and even games as if it is native as long as the games are not banging hardware (done via software layer that the user cannot see or notice and feel like it is native)

Playstation 4 is x86 and it is NOT BACKWARD compatible.

MorphOS x86 IS NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE and will have it's own libraries separate from MorphOS PPC.

To play old PPC MorphOS applications/games or 68k applications/games you need to keep your old system for backward compatibility and modern x86 system for new applications/games. This is true for Playstation as well.

Can I say that this is hot?! O_O!

If I want MorphOS x86 I have to pay for it (even though I paid for MorphOS PPC). WHICH BY THE WAY I AM 100% OK WITH THAT! Hehehe

[ Edited by MorphOSUser 03.04.2019 - 15:18 ]
  • »03.04.19 - 15:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Then conclusion is done! Discussion over! Unleesss you guys are just
    > having fun and throwing opinions and having intellectual debate back
    > and forth....trying to see who can outsmart the other with a convincing
    > argument....if that is the case....have at it!

Hehe, yes, MorphZone is also for discussion. In this case, the thread opener opposed the MorphOS team's announced x86-64 plans and suggested moving to MIPS instead. The fact that the MorphOS team has decided for a certain strategy doesn't mean it can't be opposed/discussed and some alternative plan be suggested (and also discussed itself in turn, as expressly desired by the thread opener). Participation is voluntary, of course :-)
  • »03.04.19 - 15:25
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Hehe....that is ok - rubs head - I stopped at page 3 and I couldn't read anymore - closes eyes tight - you guys throw huge words, complicated terminologies and it looks like it is going on and on and on and on and on and on with tug of war discussion back and forth! The debate is piling on top of each other ...- closes eyes tight - makes my head inflated and by all means not a dis at you guys at all. It just you guys are way too smart for me...so I erm...wanted to see if there is a conclusion and when I saw it continues at page 5 I was like..OKAY I aint going to read all that!!

[ Edited by MorphOSUser 03.04.2019 - 15:36 ]
  • »03.04.19 - 15:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I [...] wanted to see if there is a conclusion and when I saw it
    > continues at page 5 I was like..OKAY I aint going to read all that!!

The original discussion of MIPS as a possible future for MorphOS stopped somewhere at the top of page 5. At that point, the thread opener was still retaining his stance while most (all?) others had been opposing it. So, the conclusion (if any) is more implicit than explicit and requires reading the thread to be arrived at, I'm afraid ;-)
  • »03.04.19 - 15:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    future for MorphOS?
    Make MorphOS open source on LGPL license and let everyone use whatever they want

[ Edited by ppcamiga1 03.04.2019 - 17:29 ]
  • »03.04.19 - 17:28
  • Just looking around
    jarokuczi
    Quote:

MorphOSUser wrote:
    By the way, I start to compare MorphOS with Playstation O_O!

Playstation 3 is backward compatible with PS 2 and PS1 (even if it is software emulated but done in such way you cannot tell if it is software emulated).

MorphOS PPC is the same. It is backward compatible with 68k applications and even games as if it is native as long as the games are not banging hardware (done via software layer that the user cannot see or notice and feel like it is native)

Playstation 4 is x86 and it is NOT BACKWARD compatible.

In the other hand, you can look at the Xbox.

Xbox Classic was x68
    Xbox 360 was PPC and had backward compatibility with Classic
    Xbox One is amd64/x86 and it have backward compatibility to 360 and classic.

unfortunately, to us, 360 was ppc64 le.

[ Edited by jarokuczi 04.04.2019 - 09:45 ]
  • »04.04.19 - 08:40
  • Just looking around
    jarokuczi
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > 360 was ppc64 le.

No, Xenon is big-endian PPC64 and includes big-endian PPC32 compatibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)#Specifications

You're right. I remember that I've been running Debian compiled for ppc64le on my 360, but it was couple years ago and I might be wrong.
  • »04.04.19 - 17:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I remember that I've been running Debian compiled for ppc64le
    > on my 360, but it was couple years ago and I might be wrong.

I guess so, as Debian for little-endian PPC64 requires POWER8 or newer.

https://wiki.debian.org/ppc64el#Required_Hardware
  • »04.04.19 - 18:01
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

If MorphOS NG gets say 20.000 - 50.000 users it can easily sustain in a healthy tiny niche which operates way under the radar (which has some pretty advantages).

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 10.03.2016 - 23:24 ]

Being reading this post out of curiosity because I don't have MorphOS. I would like to, but I think the hefty 80 eur price tag is pretty absurd.

I've post a thread on that, and I've almost been banned. They will never grow to 20k users, just because the dev team is greedy. Forget about healthy niches. I would even say that some guys from the dev team are pretty toxic (just read my topic).

[ Edited by supremo 26.11.2019 - 01:09 ]
  • »26.11.19 - 02:09
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Britelite
    Quote:

supremo wrote:
    I've post a thread on that, and I've almost been banned.

Sure you're not just making things up?
  • »26.11.19 - 07:50
    Profile Visit Website