New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Is the implementation we use of "flashplayer" likely to see any improvement for Wayfarer?

Adobe announced back in 2017 that Flash has reached end of life status and all download options will be removed from their website by the end of 2020.

Consequently, all major browser vendors have also announced plans to remove Flash support some time this year.
  • »02.09.20 - 07:27
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Flash should've been killed 10 years ago. They are way too late, but thats still better than never
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »02.09.20 - 10:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    So what benefit does the "hibernate Tab" context menu option offer, i.e. RAM released?

It saves RAM/CPU by killing the underlying browser object.

Quote:

Any further along with audio/video implementation, or is that going to be addressed at a later stage in development?

Post 3.14.

Quote:

Is the implementation we use of "flashplayer" likely to see any improvement for Wayfarer?

Support for plug-ins isn't planned. Flash is dead anyway.

Quote:

By the way, is it possible to have realised by now if there now likely to be a 'fix' in Wayfarer (...) due to the JavaScript tying up valuable RAM and not getting released until the browser is quit?

So far I have not seen issues like this and none have been reported to me. This is a vastly newer WebKit and Apple is generally trying to keep some reins on JS - since it has to work on low-end iPhones. That said, there's still room for improvement.

Quote:

Is a JIT JavaScript engine likely to be a feature?

Bigfoot has shared his JIT code, but the JavaScriptCore has diverged quite a bit and it won't merge without significant amount of work. Might take a look at this at a later stage.

Quote:

How much base RAM is required to load up Wayfarer, and how much RAM is generally required for each additional Tab that is activated, if you have an amount you can average out?

Wayfarer binary is coming close to 80MB, so I'd estimate it needs about 128MB free RAM to start. Adding tabs is relatively cheap, but obviously depends on how heavy the websites are.

Quote:

Will there be an editable QuickLinks feature for bookmarks in Wayfarer

Perhaps at a later stage.
  • »02.09.20 - 12:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - Thanks for the replies to my queries, as usual answered comprehensively and timely. 8-)

Forgot to ask, if Bookmarks can be imported as a whole .HTML or .JSON file from other browsers, including OWB, Firefox/TenFourFox, etc.?

[ Edited by NewSense 03.09.2020 - 01:22 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.09.20 - 00:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    That's not something I'm willing to work on - but anyone is free to come forward and write scripts to do just that :) Already spoke to one of the betatesters about this.
  • »03.09.20 - 00:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    No news for a while doesn't mean that lot is isn't happening in the project:

I've fixed several crashes inside WebCore that would hurt when browsing in low-memory situations. Implemented the MemoryPressureHandler which is basically a watchdog that can flush WebCore's caches on low memory. Figured some compilation settings that reduced the binary size by about 8MB. Made ftp and mailto delegate to the default apps configured in OpenURL. Figured out how to setup the default CSS so that checkmarks and radios are drawn if the website doesn't override those in its CSS. Added more settings to Wayfarer - it's now possible to control interpolation quality when scaling images (this has big impact on speed on slower machines).

Also, bubbles!

• »14.09.20 - 02:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - . . . . {I'm virtually speechless ... in speech-bubbles :-o }
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »14.09.20 - 09:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Wow, you are truly amazing! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »14.09.20 - 09:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Chickens anyone?

• »19.09.20 - 21:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    I don't get it. Chickens break your browser?
  • »19.09.20 - 21:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps -> Is this a ...

1. What came first the chicken or the browser question?
    2. A duckduckgo search for backyard chickens question?
    3. What's our opinion of duckduckgo as a new search engine in Wayfarer additional to other search engines question?
    4. Some other statement or observation that is too obtuse to work out if it's a question ... or not? 8-D
  • »19.09.20 - 22:59
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

amifrog wrote:

Au contraire, typing in "chickens" is being correctly identified as a search term as opposed to a web address, thus correctly and conveniently triggers an internet search.
  • »20.09.20 - 08:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

ASiegel schrieb:
    Quote:

amifrog wrote:

Au contraire, typing in "chickens" is being correctly identified as a search term as opposed to a web address, thus correctly and conveniently triggers an internet search.

Albeit I know this feature is nowadays ubiquitous (and indeed very handy!), I don't like it too much.
    Hence i hope that behaviour will become selectable (option to pass on non url matching inputs to seach engine of choice/duckduckgo.com or not).

But I think it's a good feauture as most ppl know it from other systems (and it's indeed handy).

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 20.09.2020 - 16:27 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »20.09.20 - 14:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

Hence i hope that behaviour will become selectable (option to pass on non url matching inputs to seach engine of choice/duckduckgo.com or not).

Just curious, what would you like to happen with non-URL’s if *not* passed on to a search engine? An error message?

I think this has become a standard feature that is kind of expected in a modern web browser.

Some times there could be local network services that obviously does not resolves through a top-level domain “dot” domain. At work we have network printer configurations and other stuff handled through a web interface on the LAN this way. Also common for NAS machines as well as routers etc. But most browsers handles this just fine if you just type in http:// or https:// and personally I’m fine with that. :-)
  • »20.09.20 - 17:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma

Just curious, what would you like to happen with non-URL’s if *not* passed on to a search engine? An error message?

Yes of course - what else? A dancing banana? A facepalming Cp. Picard?

Quote:

I think this has become a standard feature that is kind of expected in a modern web browser.

What I wrote. But a good share of MorphOS is uniqueness is about keeping control of the machine. Hence my suggestion to make this behaviour selectable which is probably not a biggie...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »20.09.20 - 21:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

A facepalming Cp. Picard?

Would be kind of cool though... ;-)
  • »21.09.20 - 01:25
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    The search could be limited to history, bookmarks etc., like other browsers offer.
  • »21.09.20 - 07:43
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    A facepalming Cp. Picard?

Would be kind of cool though... ;-)

I bet CBS Corporation's hordes of lawyers would be to differ ;-)
  • »21.09.20 - 09:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    This one was really annoying to figure out and took quite a while, but it appears to be working now:

[ Edited by jacadcaps 27.09.2020 - 21:27 ]
  • »27.09.20 - 19:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Another spoiler:

• »27.09.20 - 20:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Looks great! I think I can speak for every MorphOS user in saying that we really appreciate your work on this browser, and we are looking forward to the day when it, and the updated version of MorphOS will be released.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.09.20 - 20:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps

Granted, it's slow on my 2.3GHz PCIE G5, so don't expect miracles. Maps themselves partly working now. Bing ones seem to work just fine (and a little faster too).
  • »28.09.20 - 03:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    That's all very impressive, so you can't be far from happy for it to be released I suppose?

Any more beta-testing to do, or any other features you want to add before you do release it?

You did say that video and audio would have to wait for a later date/time then when it was initialy released - is that still true?

@ jacadcaps . . . and worthy of another donation for all your hard work, which I should also send you quite soon. 8-D
  • »28.09.20 - 03:24
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Yes, the beta is very close to the level of polish users would expect I think. Video/audio support will indeed happen at a later date. We'll see how many things I'll still have to fix once the beta hits a wider audience.

Once again, thanks for all the donations!
  • »28.09.20 - 14:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Really great!
    Will your fixes be merged to the master branch?
    regards
    eliot
  • »28.09.20 - 15:28