MorphOS license / replacing HW / invalidating license file?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Hi all!

Is it possible to move the SSD from one Powerbook to another without invalidating the license? If not, it's not a big problem. I don't mind supporting the MorphOS developers with another license, just wondering if I can do the swap without any "downtime".
  • »22.07.20 - 09:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

sTix wrote:
    Hi all!

Is it possible to move the SSD from one Powerbook to another without invalidating the license? If not, it's not a big problem. I don't mind supporting the MorphOS developers with another license, just wondering if I can do the swap without any "downtime".

Your MorphOS license is tied to the MAC address of your Ethernet adapter, so you can't move the license from one PowerBook to another. It would require you to buy another license, or ask the Development Team to transfer the license to the new PowerBook, which is only supposed to be done if the original system is broken and not repaired. The Development Team will "blacklist" your original PowerBook, so it can no longer run MorphOS.

At least that is how I understand what they have said on this topic, but ask them directly via one of the developers email addresses from the official MorphOS website to make sure. I don't want to speak for them, and my understanding might be in error.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.07.20 - 09:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The Development Team will "blacklist" your original PowerBook,
    > so it can no longer run MorphOS.

Actually it can, just no future update of MorphOS which contains the updated blacklist.
  • »22.07.20 - 10:30
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Ok, thanks. That's what I suspected. A new license it is then, when my current PB is completely dead, it's a bit flakey.
  • »22.07.20 - 13:14