Is the Radeon FireMV2250 supported?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    Long time since I have been on here :-)

I have a Radeon FireMV 2250 (PCIex1) that I use for Linux on my X5000.

Is that supported in MorphOS? As far as I can see from tha compability list is this specific model is not but some of the Fire cards are.

And has anybody succeeded in running dual graphics cards in MorphOS? It is not supported in OS4.1 (atm.) but at least it does not lock the machine when I boot with both my R9 270x and the FireMV 2250.

Thank you in advance and sorry if these questions have been ansvered many times before.
  • »23.02.20 - 15:30
    Kronos
    Not an expert on all those number-salad GPUs/GFX-cards but from the cards listed it seems there is a gap between R400 based GPUs (with 3D) and R600 based GPUs (2D only). Your card seems to be R500 based.....

As for running 2 cards, that works for sure. Just not when both cards are served by the same driver and since "Radeon" cover anything from the ancient Radeon7000 to the semi-current HD cards you are out of luck.

On a G4 PowerMac one can run a PCI Voodoo for a 2nd display, no idea if that would work in the X5000.
  • »23.02.20 - 15:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > running dual graphics cards [...] is not supported in OS4.1 (atm.)

At least on the X1000 it was, so this seems like a regression of sorts.
  • »23.02.20 - 18:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > from the cards listed it seems there is a gap between R400 based GPUs (with 3D)
    > and R600 based GPUs (2D only).

All listed 3D-supported cards from X1300 to X1950 are R(V)5xx.
  • »23.02.20 - 18:56
    Kronos
    Yeah, so as I said incomprehensible number salad ;)
  • »23.02.20 - 19:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    Ok. Thank you for the replys. I will test and see what happens.
  • »24.02.20 - 04:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Yeah, so as I said incomprehensible number salad ;)

I hope the morphos-team.net webmaster will take your criticism to heart ;-)
  • »24.02.20 - 13:42
    Kronos
    Nah, won't help till someone at ATI does....
  • »24.02.20 - 14:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Nah, won't help till someone at ATI does....

Why, when your wrong impression was simply the result of the R500-based cards being framed by two R400-based cards in the list on morphos-team.net (see comment #2)? And for "someone at ATI" doing anything (including renaming ancient graphics cards and GPUs), a time machine would have to come with MorphOS 3.14.
  • »24.02.20 - 15:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    "Someone from ATI"? What year do you think this is?
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »27.02.20 - 18:43
    Kronos
    Looking at the topic of this website:

• »27.02.20 - 18:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I have now tested a FirePro2260 I have (I also have a FireMV 2250 (PCIex1) but not tested that yet) and I can report that it works even if it is not listed in the official compabilitiy list :-). At least there is a picture:

Picture of FirePro2260 recogniced

I have not installed on a HD yet since I wanted to find out if I can install MorphOS on a HD attached to the SIL3114 card I have installed and boot from it OR if I have to install it to a drive attached to the main SATA ports.

The drive attached to the SIL3114 shows up in the partition window so it should be usable but it is bootable?

And can anybody point me the place in the documentation where I can see the correct partition layout for the X5000 - if there is any :-) I can not seem to find any info about that.

Thank you in advance!

[ Edited by JohnFante 01.04.2020 - 07:25 ]
  • »01.04.20 - 05:24
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

JohnFante wrote:
    I have now tested a FirePro2260 I have (I also have a FireMV 2250 (PCIex1) but not tested that yet) and I can report that it works even if it is not listed in the official compabilitiy list :-). At least there is a picture:

Picture of FirePro2260 recogniced

I have not installed on a HD yet since I wanted to find out if I can install MorphOS on a HD attached to the SIL3114 card I have installed and boot from it OR if I have to install it to a drive attached to the main SATA ports.

The drive attached to the SIL3114 shows up in the partition window so it should be usable but it is bootable?

And can anybody point me the place in the documentation where I can see the correct partition layout for the X5000 - if there is any :-) I can not seem to find any info about that.

Thank you in advance!

Yes, the Fire cards are based on regular desktop GPUs that might have a few tweaks for OpenGL.
    AFAIK, MorphOS supports most of them up to the FirePro V4800 (and it may indeed support the FirePro 4900, as that is basically a Radeon HD7670).
    Your FirePro 2250 might be a better choice than the FirePro 2260 (except for the unfortunately limited PCIe connection), in that it is basically an R500 card and those have 3D support.

I envy your procession of that SIL3114 card, but I don't know if you can boot from that.
    I used to own a G4 PowerMac with a bootable SATA controller (purchased from redrumloa), but I don't remember which chipset it had. Probably the SIL3112.
    I think it would all depend on the firmware supporting the controller (and vice versa, in other words, the controller I had was firmware compatible).

BTW - If anyone with a PCI equipped Mac is interested, there is a bootable SIL3114 based controller listed on eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-SATA-PCI-Card-for-Apple-Macintosh-Mac-OS-PowerMac-G4-SSD-/132581321334

On the partition layout, I don't think it would be any different than any other supported machine. Are you planning on dual (or triple) booting it (MorphOS, Linux, or OS4)?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »02.04.20 - 03:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I envy your procession of that SIL3114 card, but I don't know if you can boot
    > from that. I used to own a G4 PowerMac with a bootable SATA controller [...].
    > I think it would all depend on the firmware supporting the controller (and
    > vice versa, in other words, the controller I had was firmware compatible).

In contrast to the PPC Mac's OpenFirmware, the X5000's U-Boot contains an x86 emulator, so that's not an issue there.
    As always*, the computer's firmware must be able to understand both the drive's partition scheme as well as the file system of the drive's partition containing the MorphOS boot.img. And as the boot.img happens to contain an SiI3114 driver, the MorphOS system files can reside on the same drive/partition (or on another drive connected to the SiI3114, if that's wanted) as well.

* Edit: According to cyfm, this is apparently not the case with MorphOS on Cyrus/X5000 and Sam460, where a second-level bootloader (Hyperbootloader) is deployed, so that U-Boot loads the Hyperbootloader, which in turn loads the MorphOS boot.img.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 03.04.2020 - 13:16 ]
  • »02.04.20 - 08:58
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >In contrast to the PPC Mac's OpenFirmware, the X5000's U-Boot contains an x86 emulator, so that's not an >issue there.

I've heard that, but how that works with the code embedded on a card is beyond me.

>As always, the computer's firmware must be able to understand both the drive's partition scheme as well >as the file system of the drive's partition containing the MorphOS boot.img. And as the boot.img happens >to contain an SiI3114 driver, the MorphOS system files can reside on the same drive/partition (or on >another drive connected to the SiI3114, if that's wanted) as well.

Sound like he merely needs to move the drive to the SiI3114 card, although I'm not sure how you would specify that drive (as a boot drive) without some low level selection (as in a BIOS). Or would the MorphOS bootloader be engineered to get around that?

You've piqued my interest in this, Andreas.

Hopefully, John will keep us informed as to his progress.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »02.04.20 - 10:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> the X5000's U-Boot contains an x86 emulator

> how that works with the code embedded on a card is beyond me.

The x86 emulator executes the x86 code embedded on the card, just like has always been done on the Pegasos or the Efika 5200B (both with SmartFirmware).

> Sound like he merely needs to move the drive to the SiI3114 card

Move from where?

> I'm not sure how you would specify that drive (as a boot drive) without some
    > low level selection (as in a BIOS). Or would the MorphOS bootloader be
    > engineered to get around that?

I don't know the details of U-Boot but it's clear that U-Boot needs to be told (via a set variable or something) where the MorphOS boot.img is* and that the boot.img needs to be told where the MorphOS system files are (unless they are on the same partition so that they are found automatically, or the RDB 'bootable' flag is set on the MorphOS system partition).

* Edit: According to cyfm, this is apparently not the case with MorphOS on Cyrus/X5000 and Sam460, where a second-level bootloader (Hyperbootloader) is deployed, so that U-Boot loads the Hyperbootloader, which in turn loads the MorphOS boot.img.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 03.04.2020 - 13:18 ]
  • »02.04.20 - 12:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I have moved the discussion to a new thread since it is now primarily about installation.

New X5000 install thread
  • »02.04.20 - 15:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have a Radeon FireMV 2250 (PCIex1) that I use for Linux on my X5000.
    > Is that supported in MorphOS?

Support for the card has been inofficially added last year, and now officially with MorphOS 3.18:

"Added more FireMV cards from the supported Radeon family pool, namely FireMV 2200 (devid 0x5b65), FireMV 2250 (0x719b) and FireMV 2260 (0x95cf)"
    https://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/3.18

> As far as I can see from tha compability list is this specific model is not

The newly supported FireMV cards have not been added to the list, while other 3.18-specific changes have been made to the page.
  • »13.05.23 - 20:16