Trident and USB Printers
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Hello

I've appreciated the new 3.13 for my Mini but I still get problem with my printer even is supported: Epson Stylus 750, which works very well on OSX 10.4.
    I've noticed some Trident warnings:

hid.class SET_IDLE=0 failed endpoint stall (4)!
    cdcacm.class Unable to load modeswitch data file...
    printer.class SOFT_RESET(USB1.1) failed endpoint stall (4)
    Trident Forcing a DirScan for (new) classes, as you probably updated to a newer version

I'm not sure but I guess Trident does not detect my printer.
    Is there any solution out there?
  • »17.02.20 - 11:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I get also some errors connecting the Lexmarc E120n Laserprinter via USB, but does'nt had any impact. Can you see your printer in menue Devices? There should be a entry like this: "Epson Stylus... running... bidirectional... printer.class"
    If yes, try to print from Turboprint via Device (usbparallel.device, unit=0)

You should also have a look at USB-Prefs/classes/printer.class. Doubleclick on printer.class entry and global settings will appear. Epson init sequence and Enable soft reset should be on.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 17.02.2020 - 13:09 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »17.02.20 - 12:04
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    I get also some errors connecting the Lexmarc E120n Laserprinter via USB, but does'nt had any impact. Can you see your printer in menue Devices? There should be a entry like this: "Epson Stylus... running... bidirectional... printer.class"
    If yes, try to print from Turboprint via Device (usbparallel.device, unit=0)

You should also have a look at USB-Prefs/classes/printer.class. Doubleclick on printer.class entry and global settings will appear. Epson init sequence and Enable soft reset should be on.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 17.02.2020 - 13:09 ]

Yes it's like yours. OK but then I can't print anyway...
    Where can I find "USB-Prefs" location?
    On System "Printer" I selected Device which is empty. I'd expect usb.whatever.device but is empty even the right driver for my printer model is selected.
    Then I'm not able to config "Printers" maybe because Device in "Printer" is empty.
    I don't find any printer tool even to just print a test page.
  • »18.02.20 - 14:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Quote:

On System "Printer" I selected Device which is empty. I'd expect usb.whatever.device but is empty even the right driver for my printer model is selected.
    Then I'm not able to config "Printers" maybe because Device in "Printer" is empty.

You will find USB Prefs also in Ambient-Menue Prefs/System, where the Printerprefs are located: Click to USB directly beside Printer. And then click on Devices to see all connected devices!

The Device in Printer-Prefs (Turboprint) you have to type in manualy as I wrote before: usbparallel.device and Unit is 0
    For test you can type in a shell: echo "hello world" >PRT:

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 18.02.2020 - 19:35 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »18.02.20 - 18:34
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Quote:

You will find USB Prefs also in Ambient-Menue Prefs/System, where the Printerprefs are located: Click to USB directly beside Printer. And then click on Devices to see all connected devices!

The Device in Printer-Prefs (Turboprint) you have to type in manualy as I wrote before: usbparallel.device and Unit is 0
    For test you can type in a shell: echo "hello world" >PRT:

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 18.02.2020 - 19:35 ]

OK I added "usbparallel.device" unit 0, save it...then I tried typing from shell and I got "unable to open redirection file".
    In Printers when I try to search for driver doesn't find anything and I have no clue how to add one.

[ Edited by Goodman 19.02.2020 - 09:26 ]
  • »19.02.20 - 08:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I know it has been sitting here a while, this request for information, but I've only just seen it, and it doesn't seem to have got very far, and maybe you are still waiting for a solution.

However, initially it would be good to have the specific model identified as all I see is Epson Stylus 750 - is that the full name of the model or does it have a 'XP' as part of the full name of the printer (I don't mean WinXP) or any other specific details, or a link to the exact model of this printer, or is it some really old Epson - no-longer-supported-by-Epson - inkjet printer? What year was it manufactured? Does it have PostScript capabilities? Do you have the original or a copy of the original installation CD for it?

The Printers Prefs in MorphOS v3.10+ requires you to supply the associated PPD (Postscript Printer Description) file for the printer - do you have that? Or, know where to get it from?

If your printer does not have any PostScript capabilities then you should use the 'Printer' Prefs (the one with no "s" on the end of the word "Printer"). If you click on NEW you will be offered numerous older printers that you should be able to select one of the older Epson printers with a suitable capability to the one you have that will allow you to print from MorphOS. You will have to choose a suitable printer device, Parallel/Serial/Device (usually these are USB Parallel/Serial or other device that you choose, but they are listed simply as I just stated) from a button on the right of the Printer Prefs window and hopefully that should allow you to print using TurboPrint which is embedded in MorphOS as the default printing option though you can choose GhostScript, which you would have to install, probably through using/launching the "Grunch" program.

I hope this information is useful, and solves your problem, unless you've already managed to work out how to print from your printer already with MorphOS.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.08.20 - 02:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    See MOSSYS:Data/Printers/gs
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »03.08.20 - 13:52
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    I tried after a long time I didn't touch it... I reinstall Morphos avoiding update, I've installed my printer Epson Stylus Photo 750 as usbparalell.device and I tried to print from shell. This time it works! :)

I have no idea why it didn't work before, maybe because of Mac Mini USB ports which don't work with all mouses, maybe because of Morphos update from 2 to 3, no idea.

Now in case for the future I want to print .pdf or whatever file from any other software, do I need also Ghostscript installation/configuration?

[ Edited by Goodman 14.03.2021 - 19:02 ]
  • »14.03.21 - 11:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Your printer cannot process Postscript (PDF) directly, so you have to go over Turboprint's PS-device. This device is created from TP during runtime. For that you need a correct Ghostscript-installation, which is (afaik) now part of MOS-systeminstallation (I can see it in MOS 3.15).

Now prepare TurboPrint:
    Goto Postcript-Prefs and insert following:

Buffers: 8000
    Command Line: GS:bin/gs -sDEVICE=tp24 -q
    Temp Dir: RAM:

From any prog with Postscript-output you may print to PS: now. TP (Ghostscript) recalculates output now useable for lineprinters, like your inkjet-printer

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 14.03.2021 - 19:20 ]
  • »14.03.21 - 18:19
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Your printer cannot process Postscript (PDF) directly, so you have to go over Turboprint's PS-device. This device is created from TP during runtime. For that you need a correct Ghostscript-installation, which is (afaik) now part of MOS-systeminstallation (I can see it in MOS 3.15).

Now prepare TurboPrint:
    Goto Postcript-Prefs and insert following:

Buffers: 8000
    Command Line: GS:bin/gs -sDEVICE=tp24 -q
    Temp Dir: RAM:

From any prog with Postscript-output you may print to PS: now. TP (Ghostscript) recalculates output now useable for lineprinters, like your inkjet-printer

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 14.03.2021 - 19:20 ]

Ok

In Command Line I found "Ghostscript:GS -sDEVICE=turboprint-q " and I changed it.

I've tried to print test.pdf with apdf plus another file opened with VPDF: they both fail without give me any error message. There's a turboprint.log: Turboprint server started but does not print. :(

[ Edited by Goodman 15.03.2021 - 19:14 ]
  • »15.03.21 - 17:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Do you installed Ghostscript? (https://www.morphos-storage.net/index.php?find=ghostscript)

Assigned Ghostscript in s/user-startup? In my case Ghostcript is located in Sys:System/Ghostscript.

Code:
    ; Ghostscript
    c:assign <>NIL: gs: sys:System/Ghostscript
    c:assign <>NIL: gs870: gs:
    c:assign <>NIL: gsfonts: gs:fonts
    c:assign <>NIL: Ghostscript: gs:
    c:assign <>NIL: gscache: t:
  • »15.03.21 - 19:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Do you installed Ghostscript?

See comment #8.
  • »16.03.21 - 11:07
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Do you installed Ghostscript? (https://www.morphos-storage.net/index.php?find=ghostscript)

Assigned Ghostscript in s/user-startup? In my case Ghostcript is located in Sys:System/Ghostscript.

Code:
    ; Ghostscript
    c:assign <>NIL: gs: sys:System/Ghostscript
    c:assign <>NIL: gs870: gs:
    c:assign <>NIL: gsfonts: gs:fonts
    c:assign <>NIL: Ghostscript: gs:
    c:assign <>NIL: gscache: t:

OK I've installed that 8.7 version. Installer add those lines to my startup sequence. Then I rebooted but either apdf nether VPDF are able to print.
  • »16.03.21 - 13:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    How do you print out of VPDF?
    You have do print to a file named PS:

40763673fj.jpeg
  • »16.03.21 - 16:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    I suppose VPDF does not support TurboPrint anymore, you have to use the new system via PPD.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »16.03.21 - 17:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    VPDF still supports Turboprint,
  • »16.03.21 - 18:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    No, by printing over PS: it works! The trick is that you have to print to a file named PS:

I do that with my A3-Printer OfficeJet 7110 (https://www.a1k.org/forum/index.php?threads/76980/)

But VPDF is only a example for testing Ghostscript here. Nevertheless VPDF is also capable print directly over Turboprint (remove sign at postscriptbutton).

Good example is also Finalwriter, which has fixed (PAR, SER) devices. To printout Postscript to e.g. a Netprinter (PRNT0:), you have to printout to a file named PRNT0: or, if you don't have a Postscriptprinter, to PS:

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 16.03.2021 - 19:10 ]
  • »16.03.21 - 18:02
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    How do you print out of VPDF?
    You have do print to a file named PS:

40763673fj.jpeg

Output path: PS:

It tries to print showing no error. If I change PS: before printing I got error.
  • »17.03.21 - 19:15
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    I tried again and it worked with VPDF! Maybe last time my extension cable was unplug.
  • »22.03.21 - 08:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Fine! Have fun!
  • »22.03.21 - 11:55