Which Isochronous audio devices tested OK on v3.10
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Why was this Isochronous implementation released in such a state, surely it needs so much more testing and fixing that it was not worth including with v3.10 in this current state. I think v3.10 will go down as the worst release so far in the history of v3.x of MorphOS, IMHO.

Hmm. Releasing in its current state is a great way to get "so much more testing." I am happy about this. And thanks for testing and posting your results here. :)

I tried out USB audio support with a device which simply says "Sabrent" and has a headphone jack and input jack. It shows up in AHI as a device named "USB Audio Device????" but I cannot get any audio to come out of it.

Trident shows: Product ID: 20 (=0x0014)
    Product version: 0100
    Manufacturer: C-Media Electronics Inc.

Audio interface (0) shows bound to 1 (Audio Control)
    but its audio interfaces (1) and (2) each show no binding.

FWIW, 3.10 has been the most stable version of MorphOS I've used so far on my Mac Mini G4. I have probably put in more hours on it already than any previous version.
  • »05.06.18 - 01:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

uchar wrote: FWIW, 3.10 has been the most stable version of MorphOS I've used so far on my Mac Mini G4. I have probably put in more hours on it already than any previous version.

I'd like to be able to agree with you, but I have had the situation under v3.10 where I've had a system lockup and as a result needed to reboot to get back to Ambient, with no HDD/devices shown on screen, or accessible on the system, and required a 30 second minimum cold-reboot to get my system to start correctly.

I've also had total system lockups with both SnoopDOS, and Snoopium, which occurred after a matter of only 20 seconds or so, after starting them running to try to work out a specific system call, which yet again required a 30 second cold-reboot in each instance.

These issues never happened under any earlier versions of MorphOS up to v3.9, but have happened ONLY when running v3.10.

I've had system fails under earlier versions of MorphOS, who hasn't? However, never of this nature, and with such fundamental parts of the OS, and as to what has caused them is a mystery to me at the moment, and a cause for concern.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »05.06.18 - 04:00
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    3.11 fixes several issues with USB audio.

I've tested two USB Audio 2 Bluetooth dongles:

Anttus BT

and

Avantree Leaf

with the Leaf being a better option IMHO.

Both work and will let you use Bluetooth headphones with MorphOS.
  • »06.07.18 - 12:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    very interesting ! as an audio hardware enthusiast (especially Dacs, Daps, headphones, IEMS..) i'll try the following devices asap and let you know the results (i'll update this post accordingly) :

DAP with USB dac support :

Sony WMA1
    Fiio X7 mk2
    Fiio M11
    Astell&Kern SR15 & AK320

DACs ;
    Topping D10

EDIT : no luck with any of my devices, they all use USB audio version 2.0 which is not supported by MorphOS unfortunately.
    I may try the Fiio K3 Dac/Amp wich has a USB audio 1.0/2.0 switch.

any plan to implement USB Audio 2 in MorphOS ?

[ Edited by SoundSquare 14.09.2019 - 12:26 ]
  • »13.09.19 - 13:47
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    3.11 fixes several issues with USB audio.

I've tested two USB Audio 2 Bluetooth dongles:

Anttus BT

and

Avantree Leaf

with the Leaf being a better option IMHO.

Both work and will let you use Bluetooth headphones with MorphOS.

Does Avantree Leaf supports multiple connections, such as BT headphones and speakers simultaneously?

Will it work as dual audio setup under SoundBankster (i.e. SBlaster PCI playing one song on wired speakers while on Leaf / headphones another song)?

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 28.11.2019 - 13:19 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »28.11.19 - 11:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I have not tried it with multiple devices.

No reason why you wouldn't be able to play multiple things to different AHI units.
  • »28.11.19 - 15:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Hey, here's my feedback:

1) Connected Avantree Leaf on a NEC USB 2.0 PCI card before powering on my system and Poseidon disabled card's port while it suspended all rest (ports), wtf? Did a Poseidon restart and then it showed up, though it still has a blue question mark under usb/devices. Is this normal?

For anyone that might be interested; I succesfully paired it with a new Moto Pulse Escape headset. Performed several reboots afterwards (for unrelated reasons) and pairing was always fully functional. Signal is damn great, it even streams sound after moving 15 meters away and having two walls between us.

2) I can't control the volume output, which is a huge drawback :( Adjusting system's volume slider on sbar doesn't react and opening Mixer only displays my Sound Blaster's settings. Shouldn't there be a tab where you can control the usbaudio.class (emphasizing on the audio part of the class ;)). On optimum cases volume slider should act globally (for all AHI devices/units), while individual settings could allow you to adjust different volumes on different units. Finally - and especially in cases of headphones - a tremble/bass is rather necessary imho.

3) Adjusting the Volume db through AHI unit for Avantree, doesn't have any impact and I have no idea why. Also, what's the difference between AHI music unit and individual AHI units?

4) Is it possible to control which application uses which AHI unit in MorphOS? Experimented by setting Avantree on Unit 0 and 1 (see below) and I would like to keep the speakers on say Unit 0 while Avantree/Headphone say on Unit 1, so for example when launching e-uae I 'd like to stream the sound on Headphones, while Jukebox would continue playing through my speakers. Is this possible?

* FWIW, mplayer is the only application that seems to continue playing on the speakers, while I could continue listeing Jukebox through Avantree/headphones (was using Unit 0). I checked mplayer's preferences and couldn't find any option regarding how it's configurated (only option is Sound Driver: AHI).

5) I haven't figured out how to properly configure Soundbankster, on this dual audio setup (<- and this is my main concern tbh and the reason I got the setup in the first place); by default, when going to Soundbankster/Settings/Audio Outputs, headphones are "disabled". Of course I don't expect it to understand that Avantree has connected headphones but changing the AHI Units for speakers and headphones to 0 and/or 1 (and vice versa, according to System/Settings/AHI config each time I make a new test), doesn't have the desired impact. I can stream music either from speakers or from Avantree (headphones) but headphones option on main SoundBankster deck (right next to recording), seems always disabled :( Can pls someone check if it works or not?

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 23.12.2019 - 00:39 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »22.12.19 - 22:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > what's the difference between AHI music unit and individual AHI units?

See comment #54.

> I checked mplayer's preferences and couldn't find any option regarding
    > how it's configurated (only option is Sound Driver: AHI).

"Two audio drivers are available : ahi and ahi_dev. "ahi" is default driver and uses music unit (exclusive mode). "ahi_dev" uses device mode (means it can be shared). If you use ahi device.audio, then exclusive mode is rerouted to device unit, so these audio settings won't really matter.
    Syntax: -ao <driver name>
    Example: -ao ahi_dev
    "
    https://www.morphos-storage.net/Multimedia/MPlayer_1.3.0-20181121.readme
  • »23.12.19 - 21:49
  • Just looking around
    rushpat
    Old thread but I wanted to let anyone that is interested know that I just recently loaded MorphOS 3.12 onto one of my two, newly acquired PowerMac G4 machines. The first was a Powermac 3,3 which doesn't have supported audio. I found that I had an old Sound Blaster X-Fi GO! USB and it was recognized by AHI right off and auto-selected. Verified that it played YouTube audio just fine (until the flakey USB hub I have died). Anyway, I'll be swapping for a better hub hopefully later today.

My other G4 is a PowerMac 3,4 I believe so hopefully, it will work out of the box. I'm glad I found that because I wasn't looking forward to finding a soundblaster live pci card then having to wait days for it to arrive.

Now, after experiencing the stuttering playback on youtube with this 450Mhz machine, I'm tempted to see if the local used computer store guy ever got that G5 machine working that he wanted to sell :)
  • »15.01.20 - 13:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Just tried my Tascam US-428. Doesn't show up as am audio device but this is what shows up under USB settings:

Vendor (Tascam8000) Full ?running vendor none

I'm guessing the ? next to running is the culprit. Keep in mind that this is a VERY old USB sound board. One of the 1st to come out in 1998
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »15.02.20 - 23:05
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Just tried my 3 other usb powered USB sound boards and it seems that the Powerbook lacks the USB power to run these. Will see if I can find a powered USB hub lying around here.
  • »15.02.20 - 23:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Just tried my Korg Nanokey 2

https://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/nanokey2/

Seems to be detected and work fine with the built in Virtual MIDI keyboard. Powers fine with straight USB.

Trying to get HD-REC to run but I'm in Lib hell. I'm Amiga rusty. :)

[ Edited by Spihunter 16.02.2020 - 18:52 ]
  • »16.02.20 - 23:50
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    clr666
    Confirmed Sony Playstation GOLD 7.1 Headset NEW.
    Works well in stereo mode. Multichannel modes not available (Only on PS3/4).
    In OSX works too.
  • »19.02.20 - 15:30
    Crumb
    I've tested a MIDI keyboard controller Alesis VI25 and seems to be detected fine. It works with MorphOS virtual MIDI keyboard but I have to find some MorphOS MIDI software synth that works.

[ Edited by Crumb 08.09.2020 - 10:59 ]
  • »08.09.20 - 08:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:
    I've tested a MIDI keyboard controller Alesis VI25 and seems to be detected fine. It works with MorphOS virtual MIDI keyboard but I have to find some MorphOS MIDI software synth that works.

Hi Crumb,

Afaik, there is no MIDI software synth available. Best option could be porting FluidSynth or SoundFont2.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »08.09.20 - 13:44
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    Quote:

Tcheko wrote:
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:

Hi Crumb,

Afaik, there is no MIDI software synth available. Best option could be porting FluidSynth or SoundFont2.

Perhaps a camd.library compatible "Timidity" would be an easier port to begin with?
  • »11.09.20 - 13:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:
    Quote:

Tcheko wrote:
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:

Hi Crumb,

Perhaps a camd.library compatible "Timidity" would be an easier port to begin with?

There is some 68k port of timidity available on aminet. Didn't bothered testing them.

Not an expert in porting random things coming from n*x.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »16.09.20 - 12:44
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    Yesterday, I installed 3.14 on my old Powermac G4, which wasn't updated for ages. One of the things I tried was my Inline AmpUSB headphone amplifier, and was happy to see that it works like a charm.

https://www.inline-info.com/de/produkte/eingabe-ausgabe/kopfhoerer-verstaerker/9909/inline-ampusb-hi-res-audio-hifi-dsd-kopfhoerer-verstaerker-usb-digital-audio-konverter-384khz/32-bit

[ Edited by analogkid 05.10.2020 - 08:05 ]
  • »05.10.20 - 06:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Confirmation that Yamaha PSR-433 works fine with USB Midi.

Virtual midi keyboard picks it up and works.
  • »09.10.20 - 14:09